BMW K1600 Forum banner

881 - 900 of 1270 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
@asinop, How do we know they are changing oil? Did I miss something in the recall scope-of-work? I've been asking the same question for some time and not getting a definitive answer as the transmission is removed from the side of the engine case.
(Yes, I'm due for a service too ........)
I can not answer that as the case with a lot of us. But if I were BMW and removing the transmission to fix a problem that has taken so long and at a great cost to them and their dealerships I would not be skimping on a little bit of oil or the added cost of that oil. I would consider it as part of the fix, without putting used /old oil back in that may well be contaminated thus potentially cause another issue. Just my train of thought. I could be wrong in my thinking this way but if I were the man in charge of BMW I would not be worried about the cost of oil and be looking at it as ap preventative Maintainance exercise.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I would consider it as part of the fix, without putting used /old oil back in that may well be contaminated thus potentially cause another issue.
I still fail to see where it is necessary to drain the motor oil to remove the transmission cartridge. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
YES FREE OIL CHANGE , all right!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Sorry, you only drain the oil when the FRONT wheel is removed. :bangdesk:
Ha! No wonder my garage floor is so slippery!!

:lol2:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I still fail to see where it is necessary to drain the motor oil to remove the transmission cartridge. :confused:

I should have also made my statement clearer when I said I would think BMW or the Dealership replace the oil with new rather than use the old oil. I should have mentioned I was referring to the transmission, not the engine oil. With the transmission being a basic cartridge I would expect its oil to be replaced not reused but certainly not the engine oil. I for one would not expect that oil to be paid for by anyone other than my self. Excluding new bikes that have not been ridden Especially with used bikes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's good, you did what you wanted. I didn't mention any names in my post NOR could I remember any of those who where going to get rid of their bike. I get your very valid point of the bike not getting put back together right. I can not tell you I don't have the same concern. That's why for me it will be some time before I let them tear a perfectly good running bike apart. I myself have absolutely ZERO concerns about my transmission. You came on strong so I figured I'd just put a little different perspective on it.
Got it-

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I should have also made my statement clearer when I said I would think BMW or the Dealership replace the oil with new rather than use the old oil. I should have mentioned I was referring to the transmission, not the engine oil. With the transmission being a basic cartridge I would expect its oil to be replaced not reused but certainly not the engine oil. I for one would not expect that oil to be paid for by anyone other than my self. Excluding new bikes that have not been ridden Especially with used bikes.
Wait... What? The transmission has its own supply of oil?

Ohoh... Looks like I have 105,000 miles worth of transmission oil changes to do on my 2012 GTL...

Anyone know where to find the drain plug for the tranny?

:confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
My local dealership sells more GS bikes than any other BMW at the moment, At 5`6`` I can relate to being able to flat foot. Especially if you have a heavy bike to hold up.Good luck with your new bike I can add and will add the new 1250 boxer is a fantastic motor. :smile:
Same at my dealership- due to the stop sale on the K's (that was a joke)
I get lazier as I age and like my feet flat on the ground when not moving
So far so good with the 1250

·
Registered
96 Posts
FWIW-
I spoke to the service dept at my dealership
Seems to be the same reports from other forum members-
some parts are in but still waiting for the tools to come in -
They anticipate to start scheduling repairs mid Feb

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
The transmission and engine share the same oil.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Wait... What? The transmission has its own supply of oil?

Ohoh... Looks like I have 105,000 miles worth of transmission oil changes to do on my 2012 GTL...

Anyone know where to find the drain plug for the tranny?

:confused:
105,000 miles! You've done good! Sorry for the topic change but is your bike still running good? Love seeing this. Thank you sir.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
According to the money man at Euro-cycle, which has 3 dealerships, down here in Florida between the stop sales on the K1600's and S1000RR's he got close to a million dollars of paper he can't convert to cash. How would like to be in their shoes. Over the last couple months I think he's lost half his hair. It would be nice if BMW corporate would throw some heavy discounts out to the people who got caught in the void to make it right. But per usual that's just wishful thinking. By the looks of it this should be a thing of the past by April or maybe I'm giving BMW too much credit. Time will tell.

I would bet he doesn't have to pay flooring cost on recalled bikes. OEM's make flooring cost deals all the time. Granted he is still out lost bike sales and property space but he is not out the total cost of the bikes.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The transmission and engine share the same oil.
There you go , I stand corrected lol I thought they did but after one of the post I was under the impression I was wrong. Looks like I was correct the first time lol. OMG I will have to tell my other /better half who always says I am:smile::grin::nerd: wrong all the time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I confess I was shocked as well. I don't think we have that many dealers here in the UK so I can imagine they may have people from far and wide coming to the dealer to buy a bike but I agree with your raised eyebrows - 50 sounds a lot!!
Just spoken with my dealer's service dept. (NOG for those in the UK) and they are still awaiting delivery of parts kits, so supply is definitely patchy at this time.

I also learned that they have between 30 and 35 bikes on their "to do" list, which includes used stocks and customer bikes (I assume they didn't have any new stock on the floor when the recall was announced), so I'd say that 50 bikes is feasible, but only if it includes customer owned bikes dating back to 2016 build.

881 - 900 of 1270 Posts