BMW K1600 Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1275 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
It was Sycamore BMW in Peterborough, (formally Balderston BMW).
Cheers Padraig.

Just for general forum knowledge ......how long to do & did they report that they changed any parts, if so what. Or, did they open it up, check, and report nothing to swap over?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I dropped the bike off the previous evening, and it was ready around 5pm next day, so It took around eight hours, which includes a good road test and cleaning the bike before handover. They swapped out 4/5th gears and selector forks. They couldn't see any unusual wear on bits removed, but I suppose they get returned to HQ to be accurately scrutinised.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
BMW is really going to be upset with themselves after this recall is complete when they find that out of all the bikes that have been repaired, they're only going to have maybe 1% of all the parts being replaced that are actually out of spec. I say that partially because of my own experience of 40K miles in16 months of more than average use and not one trace of a shifting problem. That and the fact that not one person that I've seen has jumped in here in this forum and said, "hey I was riding down the road yesterday and fell on my @ss because my transmission locked up". I still believe that the transmission problem was caused by sheer abuse and nothing else.

Just thinking out loud ...........................

·
Registered
281 Posts
I struggle to believe that BMW would step forward with the recall unless they really saw an issue? ........imagine a Dead Biker or a number of Injured Bikers, cause attributed to transmission etc, and BMW didn’t act?

Suzuki had collapsing rear frame from memory, on the Hayabusa, a guy barrelling down the motorway at speed and the subframe drops onto his rear wheel and he manages to pull to a halt without dying. Suzuki recalled on that one, even though very few cases. Thing is, BMW will have kept control of the publicity as much as they can.

........but yes, I agree, it may be we’ll end up with a fraction of defective parts, plus some of these will be abuse/poor changes.

Personally, I rarely use “Shift Assist” and certainly not on the downshift as the feel I got downshifting on the demo bike/s made me think there was undue stress on the downshift, the Upshift was smooth enough. However, it may just be me being the “Old Geezer” not willing to accept some technology advancements ......although the feel of a good gearbox/transmission & clutch action is appreciable versus a less good one, in my experience.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I dropped the bike off the previous evening, and it was ready around 5pm next day, so It took around eight hours, which includes a good road test and cleaning the bike before handover. They swapped out 4/5th gears and selector forks. They couldn't see any unusual wear on bits removed, but I suppose they get returned to HQ to be accurately scrutinised.
Probably not
Typically the manufacturer will ask the dealer to hold the failed parts for X days
If the manufacturer does not ask for the parts back in that timeline the dealer discards the failed iron
This saves on shipping costs
BMW knowing the failure cause on this would be very unlikely ask for all parts to be returned
Most likely they will ask for a few random ones to be sent back

·
Registered
552 Posts
Called into my dealership today to check on the progress of the Recall.! I was told that they got an email dated Friday 31/01/20 that all the special tools are in and are going out to those dealerships that ordered them. As my bike is in the BMW HQ Wearhouse in Melbourne they can not confirm when I can expect delivery of my bike until BMW give them that information. I know it is all in BMW`s hands now so depending on what the priorities are to have the work done and how many bikes they have to do in the Wearhouse. I am hoping no more than 2 weeks for delivery, but having said that I also know they don't transport directly to my dealership unless they have a big order or deliveries close by. In the past, I have waited 2.5 weeks just to have the bike come from Melbourne to Newcastle 1,029 klms. or 640 miles.

·
Registered
552 Posts
BMW is really going to be upset with themselves after this recall is complete when they find that out of all the bikes that have been repaired, they're only going to have maybe 1% of all the parts being replaced that are actually out of spec. I say that partially because of my own experience of 40K miles in16 months of more than average use and not one trace of a shifting problem. That and the fact that not one person that I've seen has jumped in here in this forum and said, "hey I was riding down the road yesterday and fell on my @ss because my transmission locked up". I still believe that the transmission problem was caused by sheer abuse and nothing else.

BMW Australia said in its press release they have not had any real issues here in Australia and that the issue is so small, along with the possible problem being next to nil, with no issues reported here in Australia. But they picked up the problem in their quality control and are acting on that. I agree with what you have said but if I were the manufacturer and knew of any potential problem that may cause harm or injury I would be doing all I could to fix that issue, as BMW is doing. We may never know if the issue has killed anyone but I am sure I read someplace there were some minor lock-ups in Europe with no deaths or major long term injury to any riders. Who really knows outside of BMW what the real truth is? at least they are addressing the issue worldwide and covering bikes produced from 2016 through to the current 2020 bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I received my bike back yesterday on the timeline as promised by BMW after the transmission recall (photos of work on page). I must say the gearbox much smoother and quiet (no clung sound). So i believe the recall for the transmission fix was worth it for my... (Pretoria South Africa)

·
Registered
27 Posts

Re my previous post which was a transmission failure on a k1600, I totally agree that the percentage of bikes likely to be effected is probably going to be extremely low. But coming from the Harley side I believe this excellent customer relations, and bmw have gone above and beyond to rectify any potential problem.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I see some posts from overseas about parts coming and recall being taken care of. Has anyone in the US had the recall taken care of yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I stopped at the only Dealer in Maine today. I was told that they had received the Tools to do the recall today but said to call them in 3 weeks or so to check if they had gotten the parts to do the job.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Probably not
Typically the manufacturer will ask the dealer to hold the failed parts for X days
If the manufacturer does not ask for the parts back in that timeline the dealer discards the failed iron
This saves on shipping costs
BMW knowing the failure cause on this would be very unlikely ask for all parts to be returned
Most likely they will ask for a few random ones to be sent back
Having been a service mgr you are correct. In most cases now days the factory will not ask for the parts back. They already know what the problem is. The won’t spend the time and money on shipping parts around. The factory as you say will tell the dealer to hold the parts for say 90 to 180 days and if no return is asked for they go into the steel dumpster. I have seen where the factory will ask for a 3 cent part be returned have the dealer shirt can a $3000 part. That’s just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I got a call today that my dealer has the parts. I'll take it in tomorrow 2/8/2020 and they said it would take a day or two. May not ever ride it again because I want to go to a 1230 GS.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Whats a 1230?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Do dealers make money or lose money fixing these bikes?

1121 - 1140 of 1275 Posts