BMW K1600 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 1625 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The pdf wont open. I would love to see it though as my bike had been down for two weeks now and my dealer is still not saying anything.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm really puzzled by how BMW is handling this transmission issue. It's as if they believe they can keep things quiet between countries. Have they not heard of the internet?

BMW needs to step up and share what is known, share there plan of action. When customers are guessing they will guess the worst.

I don't condemn BMW for having a issue, will judge based on how things are handled.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Some dealers over here are contacting affected customers without official recall or similar issued by BMW as per reports from a German K-bike website.

Reactions: Scott Titensor

·
Registered
302 Posts
Some dealers over here are contacting affected customers without official recall or similar issued by BMW as per reports from a German K-bike website.
Well, if they end up needing to fix/replace anything and do so on BMW's dime, then I say kudos to those dealers. Sounds like at least someone is trying to do the right thing. That's customer service. :bow:

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I'm really puzzled by how BMW is handling this transmission issue. It's as if they believe they can keep things quiet between countries. Have they not heard of the internet?

BMW needs to step up and share what is known, share there plan of action. When customers are guessing they will guess the worst.

I don't condemn BMW for having a issue, will judge based on how things are handled.

Again... quit worrying and ride the **** thing! When the letter comes, take it to the dealer to get fixed. Very simple

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My local guy (Ride Now Euro Chandler) says they have been notified by mothership that a recall is coming up, but have no details on the when/how.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'm guessing there is more that goes in to issuing a recall than we know. Interaction between the manufacturer and the some level of fed gov't likely needs to take place. I'm sure it is much more complicated than issuing the stop sale. I'll wait for the official notice.

When BMW is ready to announce a recall in the U.S., they will. Hopefully that is when parts are ready and the dealer network has been informed of what needs to take place.

Zach

·
Registered
15 Posts
I called my Canadian dealer and he has confirmed that there is a Stop Order for new bike deliveries. Recall is coming but they don't have more details. He said that we can continue to ride, no stop riding instructions have been issued yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello guys,

I found this text on a french speaking K1600 forum, but i can't translate it correctly in english. So if somebody (perhaps ViennaK) can do it, it will be great.

RÜCKRUF BMW K 1600

Im Rahmen einer Rückrufaktion ersetzt BMW Motorrad bei Motorrädern der Modelle K 1600 GT (0F01/0F11), K 1600 GTL (0F02/0F12), K 1600 Bagger (0F51/0F53) und K 1600 Grand America (0F51/0F53) des Fertigungszeitraums September 2016 – September 2019 Teile des Getriebes.

Betroffen von der Aktion sind weltweit zirka 20000 Fahrzeuge. In Deutschland 2243 Fahrzeuge.

Zum Sachverhalt: BMW Motorrad hat bei laufenden Feldbeobachtungen festgestellt, dass es in Einzelfällen zu Schäden an dem Systemverbund Schaltgabel / Schaltmuffe / Gangrad kommen kann. Als Folge ist die Funktion des Getriebes nicht mehr sichergestellt. Unter Umständen kann es dadurch bei einem Schaltvorgang zu einem Doppeleingriff von zwei Gängen kommen. Ein kritischer Fahrzustand kann nicht ausgeschlossen werden.

BMW Motorrad hat deshalb entschieden, die oben genannten Motorräder zurückzurufen und die Getriebe entsprechend umzurüsten. Die Halter der betroffenen Motorräder werden von BMW Motorrad informiert. Die Rückrufaktion ist für die Kunden kostenlos.
Fahrzeuge, die bereits produziert, aber noch nicht ausgeliefert sind, unterliegen einer Ausliefersperre und werden vor Auslieferung umgerüstet.

Bis 2016 wurden die Getriebe für die K 1600-Modelle (Typ K48) von Getrag in Deutschland gefertigt. 2016 wurden die Maschinen und Werkzeuge zu Torqtec nach North Carolina, USA, verlagert. Seitdem werden die K 1600-Getriebe - wie auch die R nineT-Getriebe - von dort zugeliefert.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Online translation:

Affected by the action are about 20,000 vehicles worldwide. In Germany 2243 vehicles.

The facts: BMW Motorrad has found in ongoing field observations that it may cause damage to the system composite shift fork / gearshift sleeve / gear wheel in individual cases. As a result, the function of the transmission is no longer ensured. Under certain circumstances, this can result in a switching operation to a double engagement of two gears. A critical driving condition can not be excluded.

BMW Motorrad has therefore decided to recall the above-mentioned motorcycles and to convert the gearbox accordingly. The holders of the affected motorcycles will be informed by BMW Motorrad. The recall is free for customers.
Vehicles that are already produced but not yet delivered are subject to a delivery lock and will be retrofitted before delivery.

Until 2016, the gearboxes for the K 1600 models (type K48) were manufactured by Getrag in Germany. In 2016, the machines and tools were relocated to Torqtec in North Carolina, USA. Since then, the K 1600 transmissions - as well as the R nineT transmissions - have been supplied from there.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I wonder if all 20,000 vehicles will actually need to be corrected or if an inspection will be done first to see if there really is a problem with each one.

Rick H.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
If there is a metallurgical problem ( just speculating) with the shifter forks like insufficient hardening of the contact surfaces an inspection would be the first step which needs to be done at each and every bike.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I wonder if all 20,000 vehicles will actually need to be corrected or if an inspection will be done first to see if there really is a problem with each one.
If there is a metallurgical problem ( just speculating) with the shifter forks like insufficient hardening of the contact surfaces an inspection would be the first step which needs to be done at each and every bike.
The fact that it affects so much production over such a long period suggests that the problem is one of design or dimension, or perhaps completely incorrect material specification, rather than incorrect heat treatment - although I could be totally wrong!

Bearing in mind the amount of work required to get to the components, I'd be astonished if it were not handled as a straightforward replacement process which I suspect will be the only way that can be guaranteed to cure the issue without leaving residual doubt.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
The first paragraph of the German statement says it all.

"As part of a recall campaign, BMW Motorrad is replacing motorcycle models K 1600 GT (0F01 / 0F11), K 1600 GTL (0F02 / 0F12), K 1600 excavators (0F51 / 0F53) and K 1600 Grand America (0F51 / 0F53) of the September production period 2016 - September 2019 Parts of the gearbox."

The sentence structure thing is typical of translation software which often finds the subtlety of Subject Object Verb (german, mostly) vs Subject Verb Object (English) tricky. If an english native person had written this in english the statement would have been "As part of the recall.....BMW... is replacing parts of the gearbox on the following models ...."

The subtext here is that regardless of the reasoning behind this recall, they have already decided (Stop Sale) that this is mandatory. Good for BMW and good for everyone ultimately.

Modern supply chain management/QA address most of these issues prior to product release. Sometimes schlitz happens. this is one of those cases, better for the manufacturer to own up to it, address it properly (they are) and fix the problem. The next phase of this will be BMW looking backwards through the supply chain to figure out the possibility of this happening in another batch affecting more bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
The company TorqTec is a management buyout of a former GETRAG -US subsidiary that ventured into building entire transmissions after acquiring the equipment from GETRAG. Lots of things can go wrong even if you just move a production facility from one side of the street to the other. We will never hear the full story though.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
If it is this facility, it has been through a lot of changes.

I used to go there on a regular basis back in the 80s when it was strictly a Cummins engine facility. A lot has changed since then with all the auto manufacturing now in the South and in particular the huge BMW and Mercedes plants.

121 - 140 of 1625 Posts