BMW K1600 Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 1447 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Am having my recall done on the 26th. Does performance of the recall include changing engine oil and filter? I ask because if it does I will need to inform them of my modified (as covered elsewhere in this forum) upper drain bolt from hex to 1/4" drive so they don't waste time and bill me for unnecessary labor.
No, it does not, but having said that my dealer drained the oil over the weekend so it was completely drained before they took the gearbox out and once they completed the job they replaced the oil and filter with brand new even though my bike had about 3 klms on the clock. It was just something they preferred to do and not a requirement by BMW. I have only done about 560 klms to date and the bike feels great.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
My x-K16 finally got out of the shop and into the showroom. They let me test ride it and it shifted perfectly, no problems. Didn't really feel any different as it always shifted smooth and easy with just a hint of the BMW clunk. Glad to see it go but it does appear they got it back to 100% for the next owner.

·
Registered
169 Posts
@J-Luv I did just get my second notice telling me that a Remedy is available. So I guess that BMW
feels that they have a good feel for availability of the parts and tools for the dealers. We all have been
reading the reports here, so some results better than others. And I am sure we don't need 43 more
people to answer J-Luv's question... I just wanted to be the first ;-)

Regards,
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Dealer says they have to actually have the bike in their possession before they can order the parts from BMW.
They are lying to you. All they need is a VIN. The dealership doing my bike is 460 miles away (still the nearest) and there is no way in hèll I am going back an forth twice. They have the parts and are awaiting my arrival on Thursday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are going to do it yourself i would wait till after the work is done.
Thats what I was thinking. If they change then bonus for me, if not then I will do it. I am going to remind them to check it for issues that some of you have mentioned also. Thanks for the info..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just had the transmission recall work completed, no excess ware was noted. I also had them change the oil at the same time as this was not part of the recall service. Will not be able to ride it to test things out for likely a month as there is still a foot of snow and ice on the road in front of the house. (the free pickup and return is a nice touch from the dealer).

Randy
2018 K1600GTL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just picked my 2018 GTL up from Cycle Werks in Barrington Il. today after the trans recall was completed. Rode home and the bike shifted nicely, quick shift assist worked as it should and the
reverse worked quietly as before. They had my bike for just a couple of days and it was ready as promised. Very happy that my almost new bike wasn’t damaged at all. I also think that neutral
seems to be easier to find which is an improvement. Now I will be doing an oil change and filter before
my riding season starts. After talking with the owner
,of the small BMW shop I Hope BMW and our government helps out the small business owners so they all don’t go out of business during this
Corona virus Pandemic! Stay safe everyone

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
FWIW I did receive a second letter from corporate to call and schedule my repairs. It is basically moot, my dealer is doing the repairs as they receive parts.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I dropped off the bike for the recall and my dealership is going to charge me for fresh oil and filter. I think Corporate should cover the dealership for fresh oil and filter. We are losing our bikes for a few days or longer and we paid a premium price for this product. Sorry for the rant, just a little frustrated (like others). I hope the job goes smoothly and there are no issues down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I dropped off the bike for the recall and my dealership is going to charge me for fresh oil and filter. I think Corporate should cover the dealership for fresh oil and filter. We are losing our bikes for a few days or longer and we paid a premium price for this product.
Do you want new tires too? SMH.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dropped off the bike for the recall and my dealership is going to charge me for fresh oil and filter. I think Corporate should cover the dealership for fresh oil and filter. We are losing our bikes for a few days or longer and we paid a premium price for this product. Sorry for the rant, just a little frustrated (like others). I hope the job goes smoothly and there are no issues down the road.
You can call BMW NA Customer Service at 800-831-1117 and get your account notated for how long it was in the shop and then they will coordinate with the dealership and see about getting you compensation. I just went through this this a.m matter of fact. I'm only on week 2 of dropping it off and waiting as it needs a whole new gearbox when they started to tear into it. I'm about to make my monthly payment for it this week, that's why.

It's always no unless you ask.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did not but I was told the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

I contacted my dealer again yesterday afternoon and was told that they have done a couple of bikes and I am scheduled to drop my bike off on the 24th. Dealer says they have to actually have the bike in their possession before they can order the parts from BMW. So, although I am not happy about it, I will likely be without my bike for at least a week while they do the recall. Should have it done before spring riding season though.

Dealer also told me the bikes that they have done so far did not show any abnormal issues.
I'm taking mine in on the 24th as well. Was told the same as you. Are you going to Marietta or Buford?

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I'm taking mine in on the 24th as well. Was told the same as you. Are you going to Marietta or Buford?
Buford - I was told by the Marietta dealer that I would have to wait several months because I didn't buy my bike from them (back of the line). Hourglass told me that they have done several bikes already and the other dealer hadn't done any - as of about 2 weeks ago.

Will trailer it to Hourglass Tuesday AM and leave it with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my BGA back Mid Feb. I was able to take it for a test ride before purchasing. One thing I noticed was how clunky the gearbox was. I come from a line of Kawasaki sport bikes, so I KNOW what clunky is all about, I just didn't expect it from such a refined machine.
So anyway, I just took delivery of my bike after the dealer performed the tranny work from the stop sale. I road it into work and I gotta say WOW!! I'm more in love with it now then before. It is so much smoother now. It took a while for the dealer to get the parts/tools in but worth the wait I suppose. The Pro Shift Assist is buttery smooth, and I love how it blips the the throttle when downshifting. That's bad a$$!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just got home from picking my B up from the dealer. It shifted perfectly before the recall work, and still does. They actually had it done yesterday but I was not able to get down there to pick it up. If anyone watches Smoaks Vlog on YouTube, he is in the middle of a trans recall job. Interesting tech stuff sometimes and some good shots of the parts effected.

Zach

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just got home from picking my B up from the dealer. It shifted perfectly before the recall work, and still does. They actually had it done yesterday but I was not able to get down there to pick it up. If anyone watches Smoaks Vlog on YouTube, he is in the middle of a trans recall job. Interesting tech stuff sometimes and some good shots of the parts effected.

Zach
I love watching Smoaks and his vlogs, his sounds like such a great guy that loves life and his work. His better half is such an easy-going person too. Mind you they love animals and that would say a lot about anyone and a big plus in my book.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love watching Smoaks and his vlogs, his sounds like such a great guy that loves life and his work. His better half is such an easy-going person too. Mind you they love animals and that would say a lot about anyone and a big plus in my book.
I agree. I only found him about a year or so ago. The shop he works at is about 30 miles from me. One of these days I'll pop in there and tell him how much I enjoy his videos.

Zach

·
Registered
923 Posts

Zach
Watched it he said he had 4 1/2 days and BMW allowed 8.5 hours for the job.

1381 - 1400 of 1447 Posts