BMW K1600 Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 1447 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Watched it he said he had 4 1/2 days and BMW allowed 8.5 hours for the job.
I hope you're enjoying the bike now you have it back. I know it stinks that BMW allows the min amount of time and knows the job takes longer than they pay the dealerships for. Then expect the poor dealership has no choice but cop it sweet. with the extra cost of labor etc.:((y)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Watched it he said he had 4 1/2 days and BMW allowed 8.5 hours for the job.
I heard him say that. I imagine some of that is due to not having the right tools from BMW. That "press" tool he fabbed up probably took a while to figure out. I imagine all dealer techs might struggle to get the first couple of them done in less than the 8.5 hours, but by the end they will have it down pat. Just like any project you take on for the first time.

Zach

·
Registered
923 Posts
I heard him say that. I imagine some of that is due to not having the right tools from BMW. That "press" tool he fabbed up probably took a while to figure out. I imagine all dealer techs might struggle to get the first couple of them done in less than the 8.5 hours, but by the end they will have it down pat. Just like any project you take on for the first time.

Zach
My bike was number six at our dealer and the Tech had yet to reach his time. Number 5 bike was 2 hours over and he had all the tools.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I called my local BMW dealer and asked when I could bring in my 2018 16B. They said bring it in the next day, they have parts and have done about a dozen. Ok that sounds good. 3 days later I picked it up and they said everything was fine. As I get on the freeway and engage 6th gear, the engine races almost to redline, like you missed a shift. Hmm I go back to 5th gear then shift into 6th again and the again the same thing. So I brought my 16B in with 6 gears and left with 5. I called them and asked them if they test drive the bike after the work. Absolutely yes they told me. So they came and picked up the bike last night and am waiting for their call. My bike was perfect before it went it. I have to rant a bit.

·
Registered
923 Posts
... So I brought my 16B in with 6 gears and left with 5. I called them and asked them if they test drive the bike after the work. Absolutely yes they told me. So they came and picked up the bike last night and am waiting for their call. My bike was perfect before it went it. I have to rant a bit.
oops. can't wait to hear their excuse

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I called my local BMW dealer and asked when I could bring in my 2018 16B. They said bring it in the next day, they have parts and have done about a dozen. Ok that sounds good. 3 days later I picked it up and they said everything was fine. As I get on the freeway and engage 6th gear, the engine races almost to redline, like you missed a shift. Hmm I go back to 5th gear then shift into 6th again and the again the same thing. So I brought my 16B in with 6 gears and left with 5. I called them and asked them if they test drive the bike after the work. Absolutely yes they told me. So they came and picked up the bike last night and am waiting for their call. My bike was perfect before it went it. I have to rant a bit.
Curious, What dealership did the work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is what the dealer said "We have identified the problem, had a gear incorrectly, under a quick shift it came loose. "

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Picked my bike up for the trans recall. While they had it, I asked them to do the annual service. $290 for an oil change, filter, and brake fluid service. 1.9 hours of service tech time for the oil and brake service.

I put 200 miles on it Saturday and the bike shifts great. I didn't notice any difference from before. Happy to have it back.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here is what the dealer said "We have identified the problem, had a gear incorrectly, under a quick shift it came loose. "
It's hard to imagine what "came loose" had it been properly reassembled. I would have very little confidence in the quality of their work, I'm afraid to say.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had my first service done yesterday best of all the total cost would have been $385.00 AUD but my dealership waved the cost due to the 6 mths I had to wait for the recall and fix. The bike is fantastic and no issues thanks to their care and attention and yes they had to do the recall not BMW. That is service plus along with them loaning me the old 2013 GTL for the 6 mths at their cost. I consider myself very fortunate to have great dealership that cares about their customer service, full credit to them. Mind you I have bought about 7 bikes from them in the last 7 years, but I know of another customer that bought a new GTL about 3 weeks after I ordered mine and the dealership loaned him a bike also.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
My bike was the first to be done at my dealership and it took him 10 hours to complete. Now that he's done about 8 of them he's got it down to 5 hours.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Are all the tranny’s getting the same fix ie shifter forks /5th ,6th gear or are some getting new cassette entirely ? Thanks for any clarification

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I had my first service done yesterday best of all the total cost would have been $385.00 AUD but my dealership waved the cost due to the 6 mths I had to wait for the recall and fix. The bike is fantastic and no issues thanks to their care and attention and yes they had to do the recall not BMW. That is service plus along with them loaning me the old 2013 GTL for the 6 mths at their cost. I consider myself very fortunate to have great dealership that cares about their customer service, full credit to them. Mind you I have bought about 7 bikes from them in the last 7 years, but I know of another customer that bought a new GTL about 3 weeks after I ordered mine and the dealership loaned him a bike also.
That's awesome! Love hearing good customer care stories.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Are all the tranny’s getting the same fix ie shifter forks /5th ,6th gear or are some getting new cassette entirely ? Thanks for any clarification
From what I've read on here, techs are replacing the recalled parts you mention PLUS looking for signs of additional wear. I recall seeing a few reports that the wear of some parts and/or additional parts was excessive and the entire cassette was being replaced or additional parts replaced.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
They call me today 1pm and tell me that the bike I am buying is done but they are closing for two weeks starting tomorrow. Guess Im out of luck.
While not officially open, my dealer is still allowing customers to pick up their repaired bikes. Apparently they’re still performing service while the rest of the dealership is closed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
While not officially open, my dealer is still allowing customers to pick up their repaired bikes. Apparently they’re still performing service while the rest of the dealership is closed.
If you’re referring to BMWVC, you’re correct. I dropped my bike off for some work on Tuesday.

They’re operating using Virus safe procedures. You park the bike outside the service door, leave the key in the side cubby, and go on your way. They don’t want to be anywhere near you. :)

1401 - 1420 of 1447 Posts