BMW K1600 Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1625 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I took my bike in for the recall a week ago, Dealer had to send pictures to the Mother Ship in Germany and were told to replace the entire transmission but as everyone knows they're on back order. Ugg, Though happy it's being replaced. 2019 GT Sport with about 5700 miles on it. Not abused, reverse has only been used a few times to see how to use it, Very rarely use the the shift assist and never to down shift.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Talked them today they said it would be ready on sat , phew call first ring back bell SRF not open Max Bf thanks I yearn for some riding soon .

·
Registered
984 Posts
One week from today, I take the bike in for recall work. Toot toot.

Reactions: Geoff_3 and J-Luv

·
Registered
360 Posts
I took my bike in for the recall a week ago, Dealer had to send pictures to the Mother Ship in Germany and were told to replace the entire transmission but as everyone knows they're on back order. Ugg, Though happy it's being replaced. 2019 GT Sport with about 5700 miles on it. Not abused, reverse has only been used a few times to see how to use it, Very rarely use the the shift assist and never to down shift.
That’s the bit I can’t figure. If we accept Rider’s ability to smooth change, and the sub-standard internal parts number only a few components .......why is the transmission goosed after 5700 miles? It’s concerning .....is it the clunky shift-pro downshift (upshift is generally sweet) or using the reverse, otherwise the sub-standard components are causing variable wear on different transmissions?

Puzzling?

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
445 Posts
That’s the bit I can’t figure. If we accept Rider’s ability to smooth change, and the sub-standard internal parts number only a few components .......why is the transmission goosed after 5700 miles?
My take on it (from an engineering point of view, not based on specific knowledge of the wear found) is that we are seeing at least two, and possibly three scenarios, based around the fact that only some examples of the potentially sub-standard parts are actually sub-standard.

Scenario #1 is that there were no bad examples of the potentially bad parts fitted to a particular build. In this instance, parts are being replaced on a precautionary basis;

Scenario #2 is that there is at least one bad example of the potentially bad parts fitted to a particular build. In this instance, parts are being replaced both to substitute for worn (bad) parts and also on a precautionary basis;

Scenario #3 is the “muddy waters” one. Where whole transmissions are being replaced this suggests that either a) accelerated wear of the parts that were expected could be bad results in collateral damage to other transmission components that were not anticipated to be affected, or b) there exist further sub-standard transmission components other than those identified by the mothership as potentially sub-standard and therefore requiring replacement in the recall that are also sub-standard.

Whatever the case, I am totally unconvinced that either riding style or the Shift Assist is anything to do with it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My take on it (from an engineering point of view, not based on specific knowledge of the wear found) is that we are seeing at least two, and possibly three scenarios, based around the fact that only some examples of the potentially sub-standard parts are actually sub-standard.

Scenario #1 is that there were no bad examples of the potentially bad parts fitted to a particular build. In this instance, parts are being replaced on a precautionary basis;

Scenario #2 is that there is at least one bad example of the potentially bad parts fitted to a particular build. In this instance, parts are being replaced both to substitute for worn (bad) parts and also on a precautionary basis;

Scenario #3 is the “muddy waters” one. Where whole transmissions are being replaced this suggests that either a) accelerated wear of the parts that were expected could be bad results in collateral damage to other transmission components that were not anticipated to be affected, or b) there exist further sub-standard transmission components other than those identified by the mothership as potentially sub-standard and therefore requiring replacement in the recall that are also sub-standard.

Whatever the case, I am totally unconvinced that either riding style or the Shift Assist is anything to do with it.
I like the comfort of knowing that there may be future “issues” to enjoy from the K Transmission Phil.

I would have been very unhappy to think that the recall would be a complete fix? 😂

Excellent, something else to enjoy thinking about when riding ......when I get riding post CVD19 👍

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
According to the Service guy at Moon, they replaced the entire main shaft on mine.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
.....is it the clunky shift-pro downshift (upshift is generally sweet) ....
Just a suggestion based on my experience...downshifting is butter smooth on my bike now that I use it as intended. It was very rough at first. I learned that with a fully closed throttle the toe tap down is perfect. It can be done with a closing throttle as well. I can drop down in a neutral throttle also, but if any of my old habits of trying to blip instead of allowing the software to handle the throttle completely it will be rough. Start with a completely closed throttle and experience how sweet it is. If you’re doing it like that now and it is rough, I don’t believe yours is operating as intended. Best to ya.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Received my second letter last week for the transmission campaign, called Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg VA received a start date of April 4th asked to leave it for one week pick it up the following Saturday. Called Cris at Bren tuning about my stage 1 ECU program, he suggested that I get the transmission campaign done and any ECU flash that needs to be performed since my bike hasn't been to the dealership since the 800 mile first service. It has almost 20,000 miles now I perform all my own maintenance including service reset with a 911. Cris from Bren stated that since my tune was done before 1/19 that I needed to send my ECU back to him to perform stage 1, I said while you're doing that why not reprogram with the opinions of stage 1 and 2 and factory programs, and of course the hand held programmer. For any of you that has a tune by Bren before 1/19 this is a must to resend your ECU back to him for the ECU update. Thanks Bob

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just a suggestion based on my experience...downshifting is butter smooth on my bike now that I use it as intended. It was very rough at first. I learned that with a fully closed throttle the toe tap down is perfect. It can be done with a closing throttle as well. I can drop down in a neutral throttle also, but if any of my old habits of trying to blip instead of allowing the software to handle the throttle completely it will be rough. Start with a completely closed throttle and experience how sweet it is. If you’re doing it like that now and it is rough, I don’t believe yours is operating as intended. Best to ya.
I’ve forgotten what the pro-shift is like J-Luv ......I used it on the Demo Bikes or Loan Bike’s when mine was getting serviced. It wasn’t great on 1200GSA, clunky but ok up, horrible on downshift. It seems much better on my 1250GSA, at least up, I avoid down. My Dealer “reset” the pro-shift on various 1200GS’s however it was generally clunky’ I sh.

My GTL’s have been smooth enough on upshift, okay on down although I find down maybe “lumpy” rather than “clunky” .......in the sense that when I shift manually it’s smoother. I appreciate the K-Pro blips itself on the change. Upshift at hard throttle is positive/smooth.

The fault is probably ME .....the Dinosaur riding it 😉

Sometimes technology comes along and we take it, then wonder why? Electric Screen, Cruise, Heated Seat/Grips .....all good. Radio etc .....for me, pointless ......however I don’t have mile after mile of slab. Generally it’s shortish’s straights & twisties as we don’t have huge swathes of motorway/highways in Scotland. It’s the Haggis running out in front of your bike that are the biggest problem 😉 ......but you can spot them by the tiny bagpipes they carry 😂

Pro-shift for me probably translates to Old [email protected] Shift - cos’ I’m doing the shifting 👍

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Received my second letter last week for the transmission campaign, called Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg VA received a start date of April 4th asked to leave it for one week pick it up the following Saturday. Called Cris at Bren tuning about my stage 1 ECU program, he suggested that I get the transmission campaign done and any ECU flash that needs to be performed since my bike hasn't been to the dealership since the 800 mile first service. It has almost 20,000 miles now I perform all my own maintenance including service reset with a 911. Cris from Bren stated that since my tune was done before 1/19 that I needed to send my ECU back to him to perform stage 1, I said while you're doing that why not reprogram with the opinions of stage 1 and 2 and factory programs, and of course the hand held programmer. For any of you that has a tune by Bren before 1/19 this is a must to resend your ECU back to him for the ECU update. Thanks Bob
Why don't you get the handheld and then you don't have to take the ecu out and ship it?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Had "the fix" performed Tuesday. This is the best tranny I've had out of 3 K1600s - crisp, tight and never misses 2nd gear. I was afraid "the fix" was going to ruin it all. I prepped and practice my sad-face. Happy to report the tranny feels just like it did when I rode it in! Good to go and all smiles now. Oh, and yes, I rode it pre-fix all the while without issue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why don't you get the handheld and then you don't have to take the ecu out and ship it?
I asked Cris about just getting the handheld and doing what other members have done. He stated it will not work on my ECU since it was downloaded by him before 1/19 because he used a different way of loading his spec's in the ECU. He needs the ECU at his shop to recalibrate the current downloaded program that will accept the handheld.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I asked Cris about just getting the handheld and doing what other members have done. He stated it will not work on my ECU since it was downloaded by him before 1/19 because he used a different way of loading his spec's in the ECU. He needs the ECU at his shop to recalibrate the current downloaded program that will accept the handheld.
That’s weird. Seems like many members had the mail in flash done and then the handheld without issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@DanDiver I have a 2012 GTL and have always experienced a clunky transmission, popped out of gear twice, excessive transmission lag, and it pulls to the left. But so far, no engine problems, thank god! Hope that continues! Those complaints are real.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Anyone tried/tested reverse assist after gearbox recall?
yes, works fine on my 2017 K1600GT - all gear changes smooth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone tried/tested reverse assist after gearbox recall?
as I mentioned in another post, my reverse would make a high pitched grinding sound if I reversed more than a few feet. I do not use it often but since i was going in for the recall i wanted them to look at it. When I started up this spring to take to service I tried reverse many times and it never made an unusual sound even though i tried it for 40 ft in reverse and even up a small grade. It was like the winter magically cured it. The dealership inspected it and found no problems with the teeth and they tried it a few times. they did lube the worm gear cable. Since it is back I tried a few more times and no strange sounds, so hopefully the problems are gone for good.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Mine went to the dealership this morning for the transmission recall and a new MM wheel. I kindly asked the service manager not to flash the ECU. He said "no problem" and that was that.

1421 - 1440 of 1625 Posts