BMW K1600 Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1635 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I received a voice mail saying they had a transmission on hand, and I called today (expecting to pick it up), and the service person, told me they don't actually have a transmission and the message was a mistake!:rolleyes: This does not sound good, as she then tells me BMW has a couple and they're hoping one will be shipped to them (Concord, Ca.). This sounds like I'm looking at weeks, to say the least. Very disappointing, but my options seem limited at this time, as my bike transmission appears to have been disassembled.

I set my appointment up with the understanding that the parts would be available, & obviously, despite calling to verify, the service department didn't prepare for this job. No doubt that Covid19 will be escape clause on this fiasco.

Not mad, not angry, but disappointed.
I'm going through a similar adventure waiting for a new engine. It was officially ordered a little over 2 weeks ago from Germany. No inventory to be found anywhere in the world. And no firm date for arrival. I wish I had a dollar for every time they've used the Covid19 get-out-of-jail-free card. The dealer has been fantastic and doing everything they can, so I can't fault their efforts. Why BMW doesn't make sure that key components are always available in the US is puzzling. If just from a customer service perspective. All any of us can do is hurry up and wait. There isn't a lot of choice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The dealer orders the parts based on your VIN and has them on hand before opening it up, then when they find defective parts beyond what was expected they have to order them. If they're available locally they should have them in under a week, if they're in Germany and coming to the U.S. it could take 2-3 weeks. If it's on B.O. all bets are off. I also think they're replacing way more complete transmissions than they ever expected to but seem to be getting them out at a descent pace. With the Virus crap, factory shut down, no parts and having to build the Ark mine was down for over 40 days and 40 nights :D But it did get done!
Got my trans rebuilt in March, once the kit for my bike arrived, took a few weeks, I was without the bike for a day. Everything worked great, not issues, until about 2 weeks ago. Noticed a drop of fluid on the garage floor. Thought it odd. However, the problem got steadily worse sense then. Dealer came and got the bike. Apparently, BMW decided to not include a new master gasket in the re build kit (cost $30). With that said, that is my problem, master gasket leaking. Because the bike is still under 36,000 miles, BMW is now covering the cost of the new master gasket, fluid, and labor to fix the problem. My point is this, when having the trans re built under the recall be sure to ask for a new master gasket. If it's not covered by BMW, spend the $30, it's worth knowing the work was completed as it should be. It's called peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
This sounds like my situation. Where do you live? I'm in Scottsdale AZ and have to go to the Dealer in Tucson next week.
Sorry for not replying earlier, I just saw this. I'm in San Antonio. My local dealer is pretty small and not super customer focused. But it's a nice drive to Austin so there's that.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Got my trans rebuilt in March, once the kit for my bike arrived, took a few weeks, I was without the bike for a day. Everything worked great, not issues, until about 2 weeks ago. Noticed a drop of fluid on the garage floor. Thought it odd. However, the problem got steadily worse sense then. Dealer came and got the bike. Apparently, BMW decided to not include a new master gasket in the re build kit (cost $30). With that said, that is my problem, master gasket leaking. Because the bike is still under 36,000 miles, BMW is now covering the cost of the new master gasket, fluid, and labor to fix the problem. My point is this, when having the trans re built under the recall be sure to ask for a new master gasket. If it's not covered by BMW, spend the $30, it's worth knowing the work was completed as it should be. It's called peace of mind.
That's a bummer but thanks for posting that up. I checked and my dealer did replace the master gasket. That's good piece of mind and I would not have even asked about that as it seems like something you would do anyway.

james

·
Registered
932 Posts
Exactly what I mentioned earlier that the recall fix does not cover the gasket thank god my dealership are and were on top of this and replaced mine as I said along with new oil at their expense even though the bike was brand new and no klms ./ miles on it when they did the job. If more dealerships knew their trade and instead of that BMW includes the gasket it would save the dealership and BMW a lot of hassle and dollars, that could have been avoided. I am sure my dealership would have alerted me to the issue even though they just replaced it in the first place and made no fuss about it to me let alone ask if I wanted to pay for the gasket. That's what I call excellent service and knowing your work/craft. Do the job once and do it correctly without cutting corners.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Not sure where the "5 hours" came from but as I recall, the work steps document shared a few months ago said the estimated time required was 8 to 10 hours...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not sure where the "5 hours" came from but as I recall, the work steps document shared a few months ago said the estimated time required was 8 to 10 hours...
Stephen, I am not sure about the USA but the 5 hours is what the dealerships get paid and area allowed, or should that be allocated to do the job by BMW.??? They know it takes longer and they say that the more you do the faster you will be and they pay the dealership 5 hours labor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
New member here and just wanted to thank the forum for making me aware of the trans problem with the '18 to '20 models, being I'll be picking up a leftover '19 Imperial Blue Metallic K1600B in +/- a week.

After reading this thread last night, this morning I called BMW of North America inquiring if my VIN# had the recall, and the rep confirmed it did. I then asked if the issue had been satisfied by the dealer, but the rep said that he couldn't tell me, only that it had the recall. This left me very confused to say the least?

I then said, wouldn't the recall satisfaction have to be filed with BMW of North America for documentation? The rep replied, no. I would've assumed this would've been standard procedure to report all satisfied recalls?

So I called my dealer and mention the recall issue and ask if the bike I'm purchasing has had the trans issue satisfied, and they said yes, it has, otherwise we wouldn't be able to sell you the bike.
I then asked is there a written statement pertaining to this for my records, and they said yes.
So again, just wanted to say thanks to the forum member for creating this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
BMW Dealers are prohibited to sell a new bike w/o the recall work completed. As an additional layer of confidence the should certainly be able to produce evidence about the work done.
welcome to the group from Germany

·
Registered
72 Posts
BMW Dealers are prohibited to sell a new bike w/o the recall work completed. As an additional layer of confidence the should certainly be able to produce evidence about the work done.
welcome to the group from Germany
Yes, this is what my dealer said about BMW not being able to sell the bike without the recall being satisfied, as well as e able to providing the evidence of the recall satisfaction.
Thank you for the welcome.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Transmission repair
Looks like a very involved job.
Leaves me concerned about the mechanic being diligent and taking pride in their work due to having to disassemble quite a very fair amount of bike to get to the trans. Thanks for posting the video.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Is this video what is done on the transmission recall? The guy I talked to where my recall was done didn't describe it that way. That video looks like it would take more than 5 hours.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is this video what is done on the transmission recall? The guy I talked to where my recall was done didn't describe it that way. That video looks like it would take more than 5 hours.
From what I've read on Ultimate Motorcycling the recall involves the changing of the shift forks, selector sleeve of 5th & 6th gear as well as the gear wheel of the 6th gear.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes, but evidently (from what I was told) that doesn't require removing the gearbox from the bike or doing all the disassembly in the video.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, but evidently (from what I was told) that doesn't require removing the gearbox from the bike or doing all the disassembly in the video.
What they tell you and what they want you to know are two entirely different things.
This is why I alway do my own work. As I mentioned, I really hope that the mechanic was diligent who did my recall, because this does concern me because it's a **** of a lot easier to take things apart than the put them back together correctly.

·
Registered
932 Posts
New member here and just wanted to thank the forum for making me aware of the trans problem with the '18 to '20 models, being I'll be picking up a leftover '19 Imperial Blue Metallic K1600B in +/- a week.

After reading this thread last night, this morning I called BMW of North America inquiring if my VIN# had the recall, and the rep confirmed it did. I then asked if the issue had been satisfied by the dealer, but the rep said that he couldn't tell me, only that it had the recall. This left me very confused to say the least?

I then said, wouldn't the recall satisfaction have to be filed with BMW of North America for documentation? The rep replied, no. I would've assumed this would've been standard procedure to report all satisfied recalls?

So I called my dealer and mention the recall issue and ask if the bike I'm purchasing has had the trans issue satisfied, and they said yes, it has, otherwise we wouldn't be able to sell you the bike.
I then asked is there a written statement pertaining to this for my records, and they said yes.
So again, just wanted to say thanks to the forum member for creating this thread.
Here in Australia, all work is recorded against your Vin Number including any recalls or TSB that have been performed by an Authorised Dealership so I would think you should be able to find that answer by contracting a dealership. I find it hard to believe that it would be any different eles where in the world.

·
Registered
932 Posts
5 hours is what BMW pays the dealership to do the recall, it might take longer depending on the dealership and Mechanic but the dealership is only paid the 5 hours .

·
Registered
932 Posts
If they don't have to take the great box/transmission out them my brand new bike must have been someone else's. The short answer they do need to take the transmission out to do the recall. My bike in the photos below with 2 klms. on the clock straight out of the packing create into the workshop. Just to NOTE: BMW doesn't require the main gasket to be replaced , my dealership replaced mine regardless even though the bike was new. It is a $30.00 Gasket , one of our members did not get his repaced only to have an oil leak after some miles clocked up and had to have the whole thing redone just because the gasket was not replaced. So even if the dealership or BMW are not going to pay for it just buy one your self and save a bit of heartache down the road. Then argue who is going to pay for it afterward.Do it correct and do it once is my dealerships attitude.

IMG_1652.jpeg
IMG_1651.jpeg
IMG_1650.jpeg
IMG_1649.jpeg
IMG_0206.jpeg
IMG_0198.jpeg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here in Australia, all work is recorded against your Vin Number including any recalls or TSB that have been performed by an Authorised Dealership so I would think you should be able to find that answer by contracting a dealership. I find it hard to believe that it would be any different eles where in the world.
My dealer was able to verify that the recall was satisfied. It was BMW of North America that was not able to verify (w/VIN#) the that the recall was satisfied. I would think that it should've been filed with BMW of North America 100%, so I found this very strange.

Just to NOTE: BMW doesn't require the main gasket to be replaced , my dealership replaced mine regardless even though the bike was new. It is a $30.00 Gasket
Thanks for re-posting this. I now realize that you were the original poster of these photos, as well as explaining about the main trans seal not required to be replaced. I'm going to absolutely bring the main seal replacement up to my dealer.

1561 - 1580 of 1635 Posts