BMW K1600 Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 1631 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Transmission repair
Thank you for the video. Could someone tell me if they have drain the fuel cell to remove it. I would like to get my original gas back? I like the BMW specially tool foot stool & oil drain pan {no more using my wife cake pans] .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stephen, I am not sure about the USA but the 5 hours is what the dealerships get paid and area allowed, or should that be allocated to do the job by BMW.??? They know it takes longer and they say that the more you do the faster you will be and they pay the dealership 5 hours labor.
In the U.S. its 8.5 hours paid. First one takes a lot longer to do. Especially if they have to build the tool that BMW no longer makes available. Which is what happened to mine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not doubting you were told this by your dealer.
I'm pouting BMW had to make a 'special tool' for their trans, and it was a way to bide time.
Well the BMW reps had to tell the shop how to build the tool. They no longer offer it only the older dealers have it. It's the big puller that use to take the gear train apart.
this shows the tool also alot of dealers had to build something to get the nut off ass well

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well the BMW reps had to tell the shop how to build the tool. They no longer offer it only the older dealers have it. It's the big puller that use to take the gear train apart.
this shows the tool also alot of dealers had to build something to get the nut off ass well
So I stand corrected.
I still find it senseless that BMW would stop producing a tool needed for their trans for newer AD's.
Thanks for the video. Just so happens I was watching a couple of this guys videos last night, but haven't gotten around to watching the full video you've posted above, but will as soon as I can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I stand corrected.
I still find it senseless that BMW would stop producing a tool needed for their trans for newer AD's.
Thanks for the video. Just so happens I was watching a couple of this guys videos last night, but haven't gotten around to watching the full video you've posted above, but will as soon as I can.
Im pretty sure the bike in the video is mine. He seems like a very thorough mechanic so I feel good about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a call from my dealer early March that recalled parts arrived. I dropped my bike on March 7, a week later I got a call from the dealership that whole transmission needs to be replaced due to larger than expected damage, also I was told that transmissions are on a back order. More than a month later I am still waiting for it with no definitive answer when I am going get my bike back. Has anyone had the same experience? My back has just under 12,000 miles on it.
My buddy's GTL went in for the recall fix and he got a call saying the same thing. Only 2k miles on the bike, so quite strange. The dealer said at least a month to get the transmission in from BMW. That probalby translates into at least two months of prime riding season. My GTL has not gone in yet......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im pretty sure the bike in the video is mine. He seems like a very thorough mechanic so I feel good about it.
I watched the video you posted of the bearing puller they had to unfortunately make. I thought the entire video would've been about the trans or I would've watched earlier. I still find it amazing that BMW doesn't manufacture this tool for newer dealers, and feel they should highly consider building it again to do the job correctly and more efficiently for both, the dealer and the owners.

Is this in fact your motorcycle? I can't see anywhere showing when this video was posted, so has the job been completed to you satisfaction? If so, how has the trans been since getting it back, and how many miles have you put on it since?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is this in fact your motorcycle? I can't see anywhere showing when this video was posted, so has the job been completed to you satisfaction? If so, how has the trans been since getting it back, and how many miles have you put on it since?
[/QUOTE]
I am pretty sure that it is my bike. It was new 2018 model that was repaired in March but I couldnt pick it up until May 8th because Washington closed down the dealership. The tool was what held up the repair one day too long. It did save me a bunch of money so I am not complaining. Bike runs awesome I have put about 400 miles on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good to hear the bike has ran flawlessly so far.
I just picked up my bike yesterday by trailer (2019 leftover) with the trans recall already satisfied. I'm just waiting for the DMV documents so I can ride, which will probably be +/- a week. Hopefully all is well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got my '18 B back after recall repairs today. Service manager said I was ~20th bike they've repaired and my dogs looked fine, and so far only 1 of the 20 have had visible wear. Brentune left intact.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Had my recall completed last week. I was worried about it not being right or the shift assist not working properly because it's been messed with. I couldn't be happier. transmission shifts smoothly and the sift assist pro works as expected too.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
My dealer told me the same thing. They had to make their own special tool to do the recall.
I think I said so somewhere in this 80 page thread, but mine told me the same.

Someone here even posted up the internal bulletin the Mother Ship sent to dealers, in which they swore they'd give the dealers all they needed in terms of tools when they shipped the first parts to do the first recall. And at first, I took what my dealer was telling me with a grain of salt, but with the same story coming from multiple dealers, there's gotta be some truth to it.

For it to all be BS, it would about have to be a huge conference call with umpteen dealer principals where they decided to lie to customers to buy time. Not impossible, but not very likely, either. Things didn't seem to be going perfectly to begin with, and then COVID hit, so my money is on that being 100% the truth.

Mine's in the shop now, and I'm delighted my bike was either their 3rd or 4th on the list. I would NOT have wanted to be Guinea Pig #1.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I have an appt. to get mine done June 23rd. It shifts perfect and I am confident it will after the recall. Be glad to have it done.
I had my 600 mile service done at the same time as the recall...never had any indications of any type of issues with the transmission those first 600 miles and zero issues the 2000 after...heck, maybe even shifts a little smoother. I just didn't want to be the first bike or two the dealership did :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just had my B and the wife’s GT done at the local dealer. Great customer service, took them four days to do each bike. We both notice better shifting after recall, no issues with reverse. Good luck to all that still need it done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be prepared. Just got word from my local dealer here in Scottsdale that there is a recall coming for these bikes. He couldn't tell me what it's for, just transmission related. Details were not released to the dealers yet. BMW just gave them a notice telling them one is coming. Should be interesting...?
one last week took about 3 days

·
Registered
608 Posts
I received a text probably 2 weeks ago telling me to call for an appointment and that with Covid they are offering free pick up and delivery. That's nice of them but I'll ride mine in and ride it back home, I haven't responded at all. Right now I think I'll wait until fall or early winter. I'd be pissed if mine was one of those needing a new trans and having it in shop jail for 2 months. Now if they offered a loaner bike i'd be more inclined. They offer free car rental but a car is no fun. Shifts great as always, no concern here. Besides I get to rack more miles on parts that will be replaced for free.

1581 - 1600 of 1631 Posts