BMW K1600 Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 1635 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Dropped mine off early last Wednesday morning. Picked it up late on Thursday the next day. Made sure mine wasn't one of the first few they worked on. They did the trans, new tires, battery and oil change. Can't remeber if I commented on my earlier response that it shifts more smoothly than it did before. Didn't think it was bad before just better now.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I received a text probably 2 weeks ago telling me to call for an appointment and that with Covid they are offering free pick up and delivery. That's nice of them but I'll ride mine in and ride it back home, I haven't responded at all. Right now I think I'll wait until fall or early winter. I'd be pissed if mine was one of those needing a new trans and having it in shop jail for 2 months. Now if they offered a loaner bike i'd be more inclined. They offer free car rental but a car is no fun. Shifts great as always, no concern here. Besides I get to rack more miles on parts that will be replaced for free.
Good call on putting it off. You're pretty accurate on the 2 months. I'm waiting on a new engine, and it's going to be about 2 months from order to work completion. Enjoy the good riding months coming up. they're precious. (y)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, I'm definitely not off to a good start and have a real bad taste in my mouth already.
Yesterday my bike just shut down on me after less than 1min of idling( in neutral) in my driveway, and today same thing, but 4x same same scenario.

Also, today no 'N' indicator display this afternoon (while on accessory) which led to the bike not starting 2x. Bike was indeed in neutral because I rolled it back & forth freely both times. All other gear indicators displayed. Let the bike for 5+min and then recycled to accessory again, and the 'N' indicator displayed, and the bike started.

After this there was a chattering noise (while in neutral) coming form the gear shifter arm area which went away after pulling in the clutch lever, then released the lever, same noise, pulled it in again went away. Prior to this happening I only rode 6mi and everything was fine. Back to the **** dealer tomorrow after only owning the bike 2 days. Not too happy, at all.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Well, I'm definitely not off to a good start and have a real bad taste in my mouth already.
Yesterday my bike just shut down on me after less than 1min of idling( in neutral) in my driveway, and today same thing, but 4x same same scenario.

Also, today no 'N' indicator display this afternoon (while on accessory) which led to the bike not starting 2x. Bike was indeed in neutral because I rolled it back & forth freely both times. All other gear indicators displayed. Let the bike for 5+min and then recycled to accessory again, and the 'N' indicator displayed, and the bike started.

After this there was a chattering noise (while in neutral) coming form the gear shifter arm area which went away after pulling in the clutch lever, then released the lever, same noise, pulled it in again went away. Prior to this happening I only rode 6mi and everything was fine. Back to the **** dealer tomorrow after only owning the bike 2 days. Not too happy, at all.
Sounds like it is time for the dealership to stand up and make things right. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found a thread on this forum about the slight chattering noise I hear by the shifter arm and It seems to be totally normal to hear what I'm hearing with the clutch lever out, then pulled in. Heard it very slightly this morning, but agin, seems to be the norm.

Took the bike to the dealer this morning, and after explaining the events I experienced with the bike not displaying 'N' and shutting down on me a total of 5x. They ran a diagnostics check, and of course, no codes came up, so I took the bike home. Today everything was fine with the bike.

I realized something that doesn't seem to be coincidence. When my bike shut down and was giving me the 'N' indicator issue, I had the bike plugged into a trickle charger ecause I was going through the menu's to set my preferences.

The first time it shut down was after I disconnected the battery to installed the battery tender pigtail. after I was done, I started the bike while on the trickle charger, and it shut down in less than 1min. After that it was fine.

The second day when I was setting my preferences, I also had it on the trickle charger and started the bike. I think I'm tripping up the ECM/U in some way or another by starting the bike while on the charger, so this I'm not going to do anymore and I'll see how it goes.

I posted this in a thread where there was talk about batteries, and someone replied that I shouldn't run the bike while on the charger because it could back feed the circuit. I'm thinking they're correct from my experiences so far with doing so. Apologies if I've derailed the trans thread.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Build the tool for?
Also, I can't see BMW no longer having/offering a tool to authorized dealers that is needed for repairing their motorcycles.
Until this recall, SOP for internal transmission issues was usually to replace the entire transmission as a single unit. At the very most, replacing the individual shaft, with gears already installed. Take a look at the parts fiche. Individual gears are not even available. No gear pulling tools required.

You have seen all the whining and panty twisting going on in this one thread about how long the repair took to come available. Can you even imagine how much worse it would have been if we would have needed to wait for enough complete transmissions to be built?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Until this recall, SOP for internal transmission issues was usually to replace the entire transmission as a single unit. At the very most, replacing the individual shaft, with gears already installed. Take a look at the parts fiche. Individual gears are not even available. No gear pulling tools required.
View attachment 142300

You have seen all the whining and panty twisting going on in this one thread about how long the repair took to come available. Can you even imagine how much worse it would have been if we would have needed to wait for enough complete transmissions to be built?
I think BMW should've delayed assembly of newer bikes as soon as they knew about the issue and given the transmissions to the dealers to replace instead of having to fabricate the tool (for newer dealers) and replace the defective parts. I know this is wishful thinking because time is money in any companies eyes, but it's unfortunate for the one's who are already owners having to have a vast majority of their bike taken apart and reassembled, along with the wait time for both, the appointment and the job to be done, then to be concerned that it was done correctly on top of that, but it is what it is, again, unfortunately.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think BMW should've delayed assembly of newer bikes as soon as they knew about the issue and given the transmissions to the dealers to replace instead of having to fabricate the tool (for newer dealers) and replace the defective parts. I know this is wishful thinking because time is money in any companies eyes, but it's unfortunate for the one's who are already owners having to have a vast majority of their bike taken apart and reassembled, along with the wait time for both, the appointment and the job to be done, then to be concerned that it was done correctly on top of that, but it is what it is, again, unfortunately.
Based on the the responses from the vast majority of those who've had the recall repair, things went very smooth. In many cases (including mine) shifting was reported to be a little crisper, even where they were happy before. If you had crappy results, I'd look more to shortcomings at your dealer instead of the "tool" used.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Based on the the responses from the vast majority of those who've had the recall repair, things went very smooth. In many cases (including mine) shifting was reported to be a little crisper, even where they were happy before. If you had crappy results, I'd look more to shortcomings at your dealer instead of the "tool" used.
No, I haven't had "crappy" results, I've only ridden the bike 6mi (because I'm waiting for DMV documents) and the bike shifted smoothly. I also never mentioned anything about the blaming of the "tool" used, only that BMW should've provided the tool to all dealers due to the recall.

·
Registered
409 Posts
No, I haven't had "crappy" results, I've only ridden the bike 6mi (because I'm waiting for DMV documents) and the bike shifted smoothly. I also never mentioned anything about the blaming of the "tool" used, only that BMW should've provided the tool to all dealers due to the recall.
And what detailed statistics do you have regarding which dealers had the tool and which didn't?

·
Registered
72 Posts
And what detailed statistics do you have regarding which dealers had the tool and which didn't?
From what I've read here on the forums as well as this video posted here on this thread, where the dealer mentions he's only been in business 3-4yr (?) and doesn't have the tool (only the earlier dealers have them) so he had to make it out of a few other motorcycle manufacturers parts.

·
Registered
409 Posts
From what I've read here on the forums as well as this video posted here on this thread, where the dealer mentions he's only been in business 3-4yr (?) and doesn't have the tool (only the earlier dealers have them) so he had to make it out of a few other motorcycle manufacturers parts.
Ok, so you're coming from the perspective of speculation vs. documented fact.

Without something more solid, this could be a 1 in a 100 situation. Consider this in the future.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok, so you're coming from the perspective of speculation vs. documented fact.

Without something more solid, this could be a 1 in a 100 situation. Consider this in the future.
Well the recall doesn't get anymore solid than that itself. And if you're referring to the making of the 'tool' as "perspective & speculation" why then are all the newer dealers having to make them? Can you provide something more solid?

BTW, do you know if I can back feed (safely) through either of the DIN connectors on the 'B' to charge the battery, or are they just for output purposes only? Thanks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well the recall doesn't get anymore solid than that itself. And if you're referring to the making of the 'tool' as "perspective & speculation" why then are all the newer dealers having to make them? Can you provide something more solid?

BTW, do you know if I can back feed (safely) through either of the DIN connectors on the 'B' to charge the battery, or are they just for output purposes only? Thanks.
Your "speculation" relates to how widespread the making of a tool is among dealers. I asked you for specifics on numbers, and despite your dancing, you don't really know. Let's leave it there.

If you have a technical question on charging your battery, post it and the tech geeks here will be happy to answer. It's not my area of expertise.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Those outlets don't stay powered more than a minute or so after shutdown, add a fused pigtale to the battery for battery charging and things like heated gear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your "speculation" relates to how widespread the making of a tool is among dealers. I asked you for specifics on numbers, and despite your dancing, you don't really know. Let's leave it there.

If you have a technical question on charging your battery, post it and the tech geeks here will be happy to answer. It's not my area of expertise.
Well according to the forums/threads the making of the tool seems to be pretty wide spread and you haven't proved otherwise, so it looks like we're dancing partners.
As for my question about back feeding the battery through the DIN connector, I'll post it. Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Those outlets don't stay powered more than a minute or so after shutdown, add a fused pigtale to the battery for battery charging and things like heated gear.
Yes, I know that they only stay powered on for a certain time, but I'm asking if I can back feed a charger through it to the battery. I already have a fused pigtail (flat 2 pole trailer type connector) on the battery, but wanted to buy a NOCO charger, which I'll need to buy a separate adapter for to use the flat 2 pole, or I can buy a separate adapter to plug right into the DIN connector, and take off the pigtail from the battery off, but not sure if I can back feed the circuit. Thanks..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was trying to put off changing the oil till after the recall,
but can't wait any longer.
just my luck my dealer will call me tomorrow !!!

·
Registered
38 Posts

You can buy an adapter DIN for the pigtail and it will trickle charge the battery BMW recommends this method over attaching directly to the battery Look in your manual

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can buy an adapter DIN for the pigtail and it will trickle charge the battery BMW recommends this method over attaching directly to the battery Look in your manual
Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. I've already purchased the OptiMATE 4 CAN bus charger that comes ready to plug into the DIN connector on the BMW. Iwas using an older H-D charger via an SAE adapter that I connected to the battery and was having strange issues with this charge/bike while on accessory while setting my preferences.

Afterwards, the bike would shut down on me when I started it with this charger connected (which you may have already read). My battery, while on accessory, was actually draining with the H-D charger, so it was recommended that I buy a CAN bus charger due to all of the complexity of the electronics in this bike.

1601 - 1620 of 1635 Posts