BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read through most of the 350 some posts on the transmission recall notice I received a few days ago.
I have a few questions pertaining to the repair and didn't want to add to an already lengthy thread.

1. Would you want to be the first person to have this done? A 5 hour repair is substantial.
2. I have 18,000 miles on my bike which is two years old. Do you think the dealer would reduce the price for the required 18,000 mile VALVE CHECK because they already have the fairing removed for the tranny problem?
3. What is a fair price to have the VALVE CHECK performed?

Bill

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wonder if the dealer will pickup and drop off the bike for the recall repairs during the winter months? Hate to have to wait until spring to have the repairs done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
When I have my valves checked I have them install new spark plugs. The ball park figure for this is $343 to check the valves and $185 for spark plugs. Some techs will automatically put a new valve cover gasket on which is another $120. Mine will reuse the old one if he thinks it is serviceable, which it has been. So the last time I had this done it came to $574.67 which includes misc. shop supplies and sales tax.

Between the 2 GTLs that I've owned I've put 130,000 miles on them and I've come to the decision to only do the valve inspection and new plugs every 36,000 miles but it wouldn't hurt to do the first check at 18,000 miles just to ease your mind that everything is OK under the hood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My motorcycle is going through the repair now. I am one of first here in San Diego. It takes longer than 5 hours more like a full day at least for now. As they do more of them the time it takes might be reduced. Hope to get my 2019 grand American back soon.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
My motorcycle is going through the repair now. I am one of first here in San Diego. It takes longer than 5 hours more like a full day at least for now. As they do more of them the time it takes might be reduced. Hope to get my 2019 grand American back soon.
Let us know when it's done. Also, if you feel any difference? I hear it's a complex operation.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let us know when it's done. Also, if you feel any difference? I hear it's a complex operation.

Well I went to pick it up Rode it a few miles and I stalled the bike 6 times. Clutch is just not right. I could see the clutch lever slow to release. Hill Assist was also screwed up. I could push the bike with it engaged. Both the clutch and hill assist worked perfect before the transmission fix. Shifting was perfect. Dealership has had it 4 days and have no idea what’s wrong. I did hear the hill assist is working. All I will say is I have faith in my dealership but BMW may need to step in and make dam sure the instructions for the techs is correct. I would also suggest don’t be the first at your dealership lol.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Well I went to pick it up Rode it a few miles and I stalled the bike 6 times. Clutch is just not right. I could see the clutch lever slow to release. Hill Assist was also screwed up. I could push the bike with it engaged. Both the clutch and hill assist worked perfect before the transmission fix. Shifting was perfect. Dealership has had it 4 days and have no idea what’s wrong. I did hear the hill assist is working. All I will say is I have faith in my dealership but BMW may need to step in and make dam sure the instructions for the techs is correct. I would also suggest don’t be the first at your dealership lol.
My local dealer is doing two K1600's they own before they tackle a customers bike. Sound like a good idea.

You would think the dealer would test everything before returning to you. Glad you have faith in your dealership, I'm sure they will make it right.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Thanks for that lol Mine is the first one being done at my dealership because BMW changed their mind and decided to deliver it with the stuffed gearbox and have the dealers do it. I am hoping my experience will be or is much better. I trust the mechanic that is doing mine, I know him the most experienced in BMW brands with lots of great training behind him. They are not rushing mine and allowing 3 days for the job to be done correctly if it takes less time that is a bonus but I know it will be correct. so that's a great sign also. As much as I want the bike delivered I would rather wait a few days longer after 5.5 mths a few days is not going to kill me. Plus I asked the Dealer Principal to ask BMW to do the first service free after waiting so long. The reply from my guys was if BMW doesn't come to the party they will.

Reactions: Garyo

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Let’s us know how yours turns out. I certainly hope you have better luck than I have had.
Well as I said don't count on anything till it happens, I got a call the one guy I trust to do this work stuffed his leg up on the weekend so at the moment until he sees his doctor tomorrow. We don't know if he can return to work and do my bike. I told my dealerships workshop manager that I want him to do the job and if it means waiting another week then so be it, at that time the guys I was talking to mentioned if they had to they would put the next best guy on the bike and he would put things to one side and work on the bike with this other guy, who is a great mechanic but most of his experience is with Harley Davisons, mind you he did the first 116 Indian Kit and it was mine and that turned out ok just took him over 2 weeks. I put a proposition to them that if my guy can't do it then they get onto BMW HQ and have one of their technicians come up to Newcastle from Melbourne to show them what needs to be done. I can not see that happening lol but I can wish.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not sure on the clutch thing. But when I bought my brand new B I notice the same thing with hill assist. It just didn’t seem to hold well. Over time as I rode it seem to get better. Now it works perfect. I don’t know if it has to figure out the pressure. Just my experience

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Not sure on the clutch thing. But when I bought my brand new B I notice the same thing with hill assist. It just didn’t seem to hold well. Over time as I rode it seem to get better. Now it works perfect. I don’t know if it has to figure out the pressure. Just my experience
Interesting what you're saying about the hill assist. I know my 2019 R1250RT was fantastic and expect the GTL to be the same once I get to take delivery. The best thing about the newer Hill Control it works both uphill facing and downhill facing and you can take off when you're ready without thinking about it. So I would be interested to know what year your B is thanks?

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
The hill hold has always worked perfectly on inclines and declines. Great feature, use it all the time and Virginia Beach is flat as a board. Only thing is you have to really squeeze the lever, much harder than you would under most braking scenarios. So there, I complemented the K, Lol!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Interesting what you're saying about the hill assist. I know my 2019 R1250RT was fantastic and expect the GTL to be the same once I get to take delivery. The best thing about the newer Hill Control it works both uphill facing and downhill facing and you can take off when you're ready without thinking about it. So I would be interested to know what year your B is thanks?
My b is a 2018.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Collected bike all is fine feels exactly the same as before which is fine as there were no issues, clutch exactly as before. No oil change just top up if required

UK
So happy to hear yours was successful in repair. My dealership has opened a PUMA with BMW factory as they have had a second bikes clutch act the same as mine after another repair and different tech. I did get word my hill assist is working correctly now so one down one to go.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
BMW updated the hill hold software when they updated a bunch of other stuff. You can tell if your bike was updated by the color of the hill hold light. It should be green.

My 18 B was the same. Hill hold improved dramatically after the update.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
So happy to hear yours was successful in repair. My dealership has opened a PUMA with BMW factory as they have had a second bikes clutch act the same as mine after another repair and different tech. I did get word my hill assist is working correctly now so one down one to go.
BMW San Diego or BMW Escondido? TKS. Sorry to hear about the additional drama.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts