BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
It’s a nice drive, but what I keep forgetting is, is how much slower the speed limits are in Canada. I’m not a big speeder even here in the states, so it takes me a little time to get used to speeding a bit while in Canada.

In 2014, my brother and I traveled from our homes near Lake Tahoe and tried to get to Maine so he could have some lobster. We wanted to travel on mostly two-lane roads and caught US 2 at Havre, MT. When we got to Aerostich at 2:30 on Saturday, we found that it closes at 2:00 so everyone can go riding. Don’t make that mistake! :frown: Not wanting to waste any riding time by staying in Duluth for two additional days, we motored on.

We continued on US 2 and then took SR 28/US 41 to Sault St. Marie. Once in Ontario, it changes to Canada 17. I remember the road mostly being very pretty, especially along Lake Huron. We continued on 17/417 through Ottawa to the outskirts of Montreal.

We’d had rain for almost a week and there was another week of rain forecasted. At Montreal, we headed south and crossed into Vermont near St. Albans and started out way south and west.

He never did get his lobster.

Hope this helps, have a great trip!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
The roads from Montreal to at least North Bay are great. Montreal to Ottawa is 4 lane. Ottawa to Arnprior is still 4 lane. From Arnprior 417 turns into 17 and is a two lane highway. I have been on that stretch a few times to North Bay. Nice drive, somewhat scenic. I havnt been on the stretch from North Bay west but I would assume it's ok with some pretty scenic views along the Lake. Is this a trip you are planning in the near term in 4 wheels or after mid April on two? I considered a trip to Duluth to have them do the measurements but I couldn't get my head around the time and expense to drive 1600kms from my place. I am guessing it would be 2000kms (1200 miles) for you?

Duke

·
Outta This World
1,744 Posts
If you are just after a coffee, the north shore of superior is far .. superior to the south side..

·
Registered
111 Posts
The route you’ve mapped across the UP will be fine. Just rode up to Aerostitch last August from Holland, mich, and found mostly re-surfaced roads and 60 or 65 mph speed limits on the 2 lane state highways.
Enjoy the ride

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
[/quote]

That, sir, is a 1200 mile excuse to get coffee - but not Tim Horton's. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/QUOTE]

Agree that Tim Hortons coffee is terrible. I don't get it but it's like a cult following in Canada. Some may cringe but my daily morning stop is McDonald's. They figured out how to make coffee, breakfast pastries and egg mc muffins..... if you need a quick snack. I do avoid their lunch and dinner menu. That stuff will kill you.

Duke

Reactions: SteveWW

·
Registered
111 Posts
There’s a great coffee shop not too far from Aerostich, ask them for directions. This place does their own beans and it was the best coffee on our ride around Lake S

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
UP is very rural without many paved roads. However the major highways are good. May consider stopping near Newberry to see Tahquamenon falls. UP has lots of falls to stop at. A member showed me and my Son what maybe one of the most fun driving roads. H58, take it from it's start west to Munising. Not far out of your way.

Enjoy, Mike

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
H58 is a great road. Very little traffic and allot of sweepers. When your in Grand Marais, which is where H58 starts, stop at the tavern for some white fish tacos. You won't be disappointed.

Sent using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts