BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
4561 - 4580 of 4606 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,561 ·
I had to go looking for the front hugger, I’d never heard of such a thing. Do you mean those blue to valve caps with a readout up on the bars? Looks great mate.
I've never seen these valve caps before, they're a slightly longer cap and the tyre pressure appears on the top.
I'll get a pic tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,562 ·
Ok, worked out these valve caps, nothing too fancy.
They have a fixed value on the top of the cap and obviously you buy the the ones that correspond to the reccomended tyre pressures for your bike. If the pressure falls below the reccomended value then a red section begins to show. What the accuracy is of these things I have no idea but I'll do some testing.
Automotive lighting Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Gas

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fluid Hood Gas

·
No Dinking!
Waiting for my K1600 B Have it now
4,098 Posts
They have a fixed value on the top of the cap and obviously you buy the the ones that correspond to the reccomended tyre pressures for your bike. If the pressure falls below the reccomended value then a red section begins to show. What the accuracy is of these things I have no idea but I'll do some testing. View attachment 170237
View attachment 170238
Not a bad idea, seems like a lot of trust between valve and cap connections?
Is it a rubber o ring that seals it’s fitment to the valve.

·
Palm tree driver
K1600GT MY2021
1,654 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
29,000km
They have a fixed value on the top of the cap and obviously you buy the the ones that correspond to the reccomended tyre pressures for your bike. If the pressure falls below the reccomended value then a red section begins to show. What the accuracy is of these things I have no idea but I'll do some testing. View attachment 170237
View attachment 170238
I’ve known these to cause the valve stem to crack and leak, due to the rotational weight increase imposed by the weight of the cap. It may only be a few grammes but with the centrifugal force of the spinning wheel it is Far heavier than the stem is designed to take.

One such failure happened and had an immediate flat tyre, at speed.

·
Upside Down
3,679 Posts
You need a new Jacket mate
Do they come in Blue? :unsure::whistle:
Honestly, I love how you 2 are getting to ride the new bike, enjoying each other's company along with seeing our wonderful countryside. Just about everywhere is so green from the rain we are getting way too much of. My brother works on the tourist boats in the Whitsundays and told me last night they have seen next to no rain so far.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,570 ·
I’ve known these to cause the valve stem to crack and leak, due to the rotational weight increase imposed by the weight of the cap. It may only be a few grammes but with the centrifugal force of the spinning wheel it is Far heavier than the stem is designed to take.

One such failure happened and had an immediate flat tyre, at speed.
Makes sense!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Troy, thanks mate I already have Illium works bar backs on the RS. They are still not close enough to relieve the pain across the shoulders and back of my neck. As it is at this moment there is no way I could ride the longer rides I did on both the GTL and RT bikes. I have some ideas for bringing the bars back a bit more. along with slightly higher again. If that works it will be ok and I am hoping it will work I love the RS but this really needs to be worked out for the longer rides I love doing. I need to speak to a few guys if I can increase the height and move the bars back another 25mm without causing any safety or handing issues it just may work out. Falling that I might need to think about other options. I don't give up easy, everyone said I won't be able to fit my Quadloack Wireless charge in the centre of the bars but I looked outside the square thought about it and came up with a solution, in the photos below. I am hoping I can do the same with the bars. I have invested so much effort in the cleaning of the RS also to get all the maintenance, update the services and tyres then add the raised navigation bracket to where I want it. I am hoping I can work this out to enjoy the bike. One of the guys I was chatting with yesterday at the Domain in Sydney had an R1250RS fitted with Wunderlich riders that are similar to the Illium Works ones and he mentioned that he was thinking of putting another bar riser to fix the same problem. He also is getting pain across his shoulders and back of his neck. So I am not the only one.
One of the most frustrating things about BMW they have so many different types of bars depending on models and years.

View attachment 170118 View attachment 170121 View attachment 170122
Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Mountain Water

If you want to get the “perfect fit for you” do what I have - Helibars “R the grande Tetons 😎” (pic EDIT not from Tuesdays ride AR - around Mt Rainier but from Hayalit Reservoir Boozeman 😎 MT a few weeks ago🤪 ? Ha) also with wireless isolated Quadlock centered-doesn’t block anything.
I now have almost exactly the same position as I have on my GSW (never getting rid of my tractor 🚜 that has 1.5” (?) TT riser’s and stock bars) also use lowered foot pegs (Wund$erluch) on the GT and Pivot Pegs on the GSW (lower’s about 5/8”) - these setups work well for my titanium knee, busted shoulders and Carpo surgeried wrist, etc … at 68 I’m pretty sure I’m past my expiration date by 30-35 yrs 🤣 but figure I’ve got another 10-15 yrs riding my motorcycles, and single handing (w crew often in the way) my 33’blow boat ⛵ which will leave me more time for golf and Epedaling 😉

·
Upside Down
3,679 Posts
View attachment 170279
If you want to get the “perfect fit for you” do what I have - Helibars “R the grande Tetons 😎” (pic EDIT not from Tuesdays ride AR - around Mt Rainier but from Hayalit Reservoir Boozeman 😎 MT a few weeks ago🤪 ? Ha) also with wireless isolated Quadlock centered-doesn’t block anything.
I now have almost exactly the same position as I have on my GSW (never getting rid of my tractor 🚜 that has 1.5” (?) TT riser’s and stock bars) also use lowered foot pegs (Wund$erluch) on the GT and Pivot Pegs on the GSW (lower’s about 5/8”) - these setups work well for my titanium knee, busted shoulders and Carpo surgeried wrist, etc … at 68 I’m pretty sure I’m past my expiration date by 30-35 yrs 🤣 but figure I’ve got another 10-15 yrs riding my motorcycles, and single handing (w crew often in the way) my 33’blow boat ⛵ which will leave me more time for golf and Epedaling 😉
Thanks for your info. I had already purchased the Illium Works riser bar but it did not work for me. I have now purchased the Wunderlich Conversion Bars along with the Wunderlich Riser/ Pullback Ergo that go with the Bars as they don't work with the Illium Works Risers/Pullbacks that was an investment of $753.00 AUD so add that to the Ilium Works Bars that were another $180.00 AUD makes this an expensive exercise, but I am thinking from the research I have done, the Wunderlich bars and Risers will work. I know your going to say that they were expensive but keep in mind we are not in America so do the Currency Conversion to Australian Dollars then add freight and our Tax it does make them expensive compared to what you guys can buy them for. I am the same age as you (68) and had similar issues with both shoulders operated on, one of them 2 times also the carpal tunnel operation and back problems that I won't go into lol. Plus I am around 5`6`` high, which is half my problem being a short arse with next to no reach in the arms lol. I am about 90% sure I am on the right track to resolving the Neck and shoulder pain issue with this latest purchase. I made a quick drive down to Sydney and back after work today to get the risers to start the change over this Monday coming. Then I need to get the time to take the bike for a good long ride to see if I have done the correct thing this time round.
Thanks for your information and post.

·
Upside Down
3,679 Posts
You need a new Jacket mate
Nothing wrong with that Jacket. Baz, I still have the BMW jacket that I bought way back in the late '70s , but made be you can paint or die it Blue as recommended by both Anton. Darin S and Damian. If I can add this without sounding as if I am crawling? The more I see the photos of your bike, the more I love the looks and colour, a great choice, and I love your bike so much thanks for sharing the photos and your adventures.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,576 ·
Nothing wrong with that Jacket. Baz, I still have the BMW jacket that I bought way back in the late '70s , but made be you can paint or die it Blue as recommended by both Anton. Darin S and Damian. If I can add this without sounding as if I am crawling? The more I see the photos of your bike, the more I love the looks and colour, a great choice, and I love your bike so much thanks for sharing the photos and your adventures.
I didn't even have a Kato at the time I bought the jacket (although I've owned 2 in the past) I liked it and it suited my needs so I slapped down a handful of lobsters and took it home.
Lumps has a collection of collectable 'Barbies', there is a Ken doll as well, he has a cool leather jacket that may fit you ol' mate 😄😄

·
Upside Down
3,679 Posts
......oh, and thanks re the Guzzi Geoff, I should prob keep the Guz pics to a minimum, some people may not approve 🤫
I am like you Baz and I don't think there would be anyone, any longer that would object so post away. I agree with the guy's comments above also know the other guys have always loved your photos and post, I just wish I had your sense of humour. A shame we lost Donna she would be enjoying the forum once again also.

4561 - 4580 of 4606 Posts