BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
4581 - 4600 of 4606 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,582 ·
You won’t hear us motorcycle enthusiasts complaining AB
I feel the same, I'm a motorcycle enthusiast so I'm happy looking at just about anything on 2 wheels.
I'd spend hours in the main street of Cooma, or Jindabyne when I lived there, just watching all the bikes come through on the 'Snowy Ride' weekends, also Superbike and MotoGP weekends (if I wasn't going to PI races myself).

·
Upside Down
3,679 Posts
I had a break in the rain this afternoon so I went out and took off the Illium Works Riser Pull-back kit ready for Monday to make it a bit easier on the mechanic that's doing the Wunderlich Bar Conversion and their Riser/ Pull-back kit. I won't be riding any distance before then so thought why not save some time?
Should you know of anyone with a R1200RS or R1250RS that needs these please give me a shout-out. They are like new and may just help someone that's taller than me with longer arms but still wants to have the bars slightly higher and back towards them.
Bicycle part Game controller Video game accessory Gadget Font
Bicycle part Auto part Personal protective equipment Electric blue Carbon
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system
Arm Bicycle part Font Motor vehicle Bicycle drivetrain part

·
Registered
2018 K1600B, 2015 Triumph Trophy SE, 1995 Triumph Daytona Super 3 etc
69 Posts
Damian/Geoff,
Back from the W2W ride & can report that the Mitchie Road 6 GT's performed exceptionally well (over 3000 k's) - not as transformational as I found the Road 5's on my Trophy, but better than the Metzler Road Tec 01's nevertheless. As per my first impressions they were confidence enhancing,precise, tipped in well & I didn't notice any particular noise issues as per Damian's experience. We experienced some significant rain conditions & I was pleased with my decision to put them on before the trip rather than after (even scraped hero pegs in half-wet conditions). Unfortunately the trip was eventually cut short due to the wet weather, rising rivers & road cuts. Pleased we were on bikes given the state of the roads which were cut up very bad with potholes, especially on the shoulders - at least we could pick our way through the worst of them where cars would have no option but to traverse them. Ultimately held up at Cunningham's Gap with a truck on fire blocking the highway for some considerable time.
I think I could have used your expertise & reputed OCD Geoff, in cleaning the very dirty bike once home.
B now stripped back into street mode - top box off, touring screen off, standard short screen on, Sargent seat off, standard seat on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Damian/Geoff,
Back from the W2W ride & can report that the Mitchie Road 6 GT's performed exceptionally well (over 3000 k's) - not as transformational as I found the Road 5's on my Trophy, but better than the Metzler Road Tec 01's nevertheless. As per my first impressions they were confidence enhancing,precise, tipped in well & I didn't notice any particular noise issues as per Damian's experience. We experienced some significant rain conditions & I was pleased with my decision to put them on before the trip rather than after (even scraped hero pegs in half-wet conditions). Unfortunately the trip was eventually cut short due to the wet weather, rising rivers & road cuts. Pleased we were on bikes given the state of the roads which were cut up very bad with potholes, especially on the shoulders - at least we could pick our way through the worst of them where cars would have no option but to traverse them. Ultimately held up at Cunningham's Gap with a truck on fire blocking the highway for some considerable time.
I think I could have used your expertise & reputed OCD Geoff, in cleaning the very dirty bike once home.
B now stripped back into street mode - top box off, touring screen off, standard short screen on, Sargent seat off, standard seat on.
I know photo required :
I’m a boomer trying to work it out
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel Tire

·
No Dinking!
Waiting for my K1600 B Have it now
4,098 Posts
Damian/Geoff,
Hi Capt
Bugger with the weather, you Northern Guys are coping a belting up there.

Hope the ride raised a bit of money for the cause. Glad you like the change in tires, I love them too. Heli gave me the info to try them.

·
Upside Down
3,679 Posts
Hi Capt

Hope the ride raised a bit of money for the cause. Glad you like the change in tires, I love them too. Heli gave me the info to try them.
Thanks, C.R. So happy you guys had a safe ride along with the excellent report on the tyres. I was lucky only got a small amount of rain on Saturday from Sydney and then I turned back around Mittagong before I turned back. Sorry did not make it to Canberra this year, My back and shoulders stopped me but at least I got to ride halfway after the long 2 years of not being able to attend the W2W No thanks to Covid. There is always next year and I hope I have my bikes sorted by then also. It was nice seeing your fellow Queensland guys up the front leading the way to Canberra on the Ride from the Domain in Sydney once again.

Plant Building Tire Sky Wheel
Tire Wheel Vehicle Helmet Motorcycle

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Capt

Despite some bad stuff we managed to have a majority of good days on the trip - spectacular 2000 odd bikes parading through Canberra to the national memorial- the ride has raised about $270k for police legacy so far.
Kudos to Heli for the tip.
Cheers bloke

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks, C.R. So happy you guys had a safe ride along with the excellent report on the tyres. I was lucky only got a small amount of rain on Saturday from Sydney and then I turned back around Mittagong before I turned back. Sorry did not make it to Canberra this year, My back and shoulders stopped me but at least I got to ride halfway after the long 2 years of not being able to attend the W2W No thanks to Covid. There is always next year and I hope I have my bikes sorted by then also. It was nice seeing your fellow Queensland guys up the front leading the way to Canberra on the Ride from the Domain in Sydney once again.

View attachment 170322 View attachment 170323
Appreciate the effort Geoff, next year will come around quick enough - I ever really enjoyed the run out from the Domain to Goulburn- lots of riders dropping-in & not used to a mass formation type ride, which could prove to be a bit hairy. Thanks for the photos of our team.

·
Upside Down
3,679 Posts
Appreciate the effort Geoff, next year will come around quick enough - I ever really enjoyed the run out from the Domain to Goulburn- lots of riders dropping-in & not used to a mass formation type ride, which could prove to be a bit hairy. Thanks for the photos of our team.
I so agree with that, so many of them are plain stupid, makes you wonder and you would swear they were never going to get there on time by the way they ride. I admit most times we go to the academy at Goulburn and then down to Canberra from there, but that did not happen this year due to covid restrictions there also my bike was not being set up stopped me from going any further. Thank god there are a lot of good riders as well.

·
Upside Down
3,679 Posts
Latest update on the bar conversion. I bought the Wunderlich bar conversion kit as it was supposed to be a straight swap for the RS with rerouting the clutch cable, also the Wunderlich Bar Risers still allow everything to be swapped without an issue. As with bikes and cars, nothing goes to plan. As It turns out the bars are wider and also higher and do not allow the clutch cable just to be rerouted using the risers so I left the bike with the mechanic who is doing the job for me to try and make it work without fitting the bar risers for now. I also asked him to measure both the clutch and Brake cables so we can order new lines to be able to do the risers at a later date. I bought one of the Ducatis home for the night and hoping when I get back to work in the morning the mechanic was able to make the bars fit and still have enough play in the steering without any stress. Should that work I should and hope I can get a set of cables made up and sent to work before the week's end. I know the old saying if it is not broken then don't fix it, but as it was there was no way I could ride the bike without pain in the shoulders and back of the neck and this if it works will be a cheaper option.I will keep you updated on any progress.

·
Upside Down
3,679 Posts
Last and final update on the new handlebars kit. There was no way in **** the new bars were going to fit with the risers/pullback kit. Rather than buy new brake and clutch lines I opted to try the Wunderlich handlebar conversion without the risers. The new bars are longer, higher plus slightly back towards me, that with turning the bars more to get a more comfortable position when riding this should work. I won't know until I get a chance to take the bike for a long ride, although as you will see from the photos below as a comparison they should be fine. I should add a big thanks to Troy for alerting me to this and then I only needed to do some research on who would have them along with the brand. Turned out Procycles had one set only in the country so that worked a treat.
This photo is with the standard bars the one below that is the Wunderlich conversion tube bars, you can see the difference in height and pull back.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Standard bars again then below that photo are the Wunderlich ones.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Last of all the bars with the Quadlock and antivibration wireless charger installed to enable me to have the phone mounted on the bars and still see the dash without any obstruction.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Gadget
Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire
Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

4581 - 4600 of 4606 Posts