1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
The new site engine just went through and translated your 'likes', number of pots, etc into 'trophies'

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
This trophy thing seems really (and I mean really) silly to me. I've also received a number of trophies and feel like I'm being patted on the top of my head and called "good boy!" The fact that they even have such a device built into this forum is degrading. Is our self worth that fragile that we need this kind of kudo coddling?

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
This trophy thing seems really (and I mean really) silly to me. I've also received a number of trophies and feel like I'm being patted on the top of my head and called "good boy!" The fact that they even have such a device built into this forum is degrading. Is our self worth that fragile that we need this kind of kudo coddling?
Most of the coding you see on today's websites, forums, social networks, etc is designed for the social generation who are constantly supported by 'likes' and other reinforcing feedback. Its the very need for those folks to feel patted on the head that makes it an important target for the website developers. Everything becomes a game and a fight for attention but what is really important (integrity, credibility, trust) gets lost in by that singular focus on the endorphin dispenser called the like (or thumb s up/whatever) button.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Most of the coding you see on today's websites, forums, social networks, etc is designed for the social generation who are constantly supported by 'likes' and other reinforcing feedback. Its the very need for those folks to feel patted on the head that makes it an important target for the website developers. Everything becomes a game and a fight for attention but what is really important (integrity, credibility, trust) gets lost in by that singular focus on the endorphin dispenser called the like (or thumb s up/whatever) button.
Spot on. So much to be said for this concept and really nothing good. Most of us grew up competing, winning/losing, dusting ourselves off and back to compete harder. Today everyone “gets a trophy “. Revolting, entitlement. I’m glad I grew up in another time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Liked...

?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Spot on. So much to be said for this concept and really nothing good. Most of us grew up competing, winning/losing, dusting ourselves off and back to compete harder. Today everyone “gets a trophy “. Revolting, entitlement. I’m glad I grew up in another time.
Ok Boomer. ;)

Having said that, I'm glad I went to college back in the days when my arrest record could be cleared by taking the blue 3x5 card of the box and throwing it away.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ok Boomer. ;)

Having said that, I'm glad I went to college back in the days when my arrest record could be cleared by taking the blue 3x5 card of the box and throwing it away.
Hahahahaha, showing your age now. Ours were yellow ;)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Agreed. When I clicked on to my "trophy" page I thought, what, am I nine? Pretty juvenile.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I do not recall being forced to click through a trophies page to get to the forums...?

:unsure:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I do not recall being forced to click through a trophies page to get to the forums...?

:unsure:
I didn't have click through, either. More of a stumbled upon sort of thing. Now, I feel bad. Didn't you get a trophy? I thought EVERYONE got a trophy!

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I didn't have click through, either. More of a stumbled upon sort of thing. Now, I feel bad. Didn't you get a trophy? I thought EVERYONE got a trophy!
Hahaha... No idea. Where are they?

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
How can I agree without using the stupid ‚like‘ button? Agreeing and liking are fundamentally different statements.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Hahaha... No idea. Where are they?
Go to your avatar in the upper right, click on it and go to your profile. If it doesn't pop up after loading your profile (as an overlay window) then look for 'Points' and the number below that is a link you can click on which brings up your trophies. Each trophy level has points associated with it and they add up to your total point score. Currently the highest is 320..

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Oh crap only 113.............My self confidence is going down the drain, will paahleez some folks 'like' me so that I can recover from this hit. Well I think those Chinese with their social score point system have something going that we should consider.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Well I think those Chinese with their social score point system have something going that we should consider.
I consider it evil.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
There are a couple trophies I'm interested in this week. The Lombardi Trophy. And echoing Andy Reid, my trophy wife.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts