BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
When I first got my GT I shut the DTC off just to see what it would do. I ended up carrying the front end through 4 gears and set it down somewhere north of 120. That would be the first and last time the DTC is ever shut off. I see or feel no difference in acceleration with or without except I know, with, the bike stays on 2 wheels. I run my bike in Road mode with Dynamic suspension.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Update - I tried removing the wheel sensor with no luck. It disabled the DTC, but it also disabled the ABS which I'd like to keep if possible. Tried the rear one first, and then the front separately. Dash lights blinking the whole time, and the throttle response seemed very unpredictable.

Back to the drawing board.
Unless you can reprogram the ECU somehow, my bet is that you’re going to have to end up just shutting it off in the menu. BMW didn’t intend for that system to be shut off by pulling sensors and stuff. That’ll just cause another set of problems, as you have seen

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've got a message out to Brentune to see if they can disable the DTC in their tune. I've currently got their stage 2 with the handheld tuner, so hopefully it's a simple add.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,346 Posts
Good luck if you can get your DTC turned off. Hope you won’t need it, the luck vice the DTC.

Duane

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've got a message out to Brentune to see if they can disable the DTC in their tune. I've currently got their stage 2 with the handheld tuner, so hopefully it's a simple add.
This seems like the only real way to get what you want. It’ll be interesting to see what Bren says, what with the potential liability involved and all that

·
Mr.Fix It
7,346 Posts
@Gunnert - exactly the opposite of what happened. Your post doesn't make sense - if the DTC had "saved my butt," I wouldn't be trying to disable it.

I pulled out in to traffic with plenty of room. When the rear tire crossed the first crack seal under power, the DTC cut power and the bike stopped accelerating. There were several cracks that had just been sealed, and as soon as the bike decided to start trying to apply power again, the DTC would activate and chop the throttle. It did this to me across 5 or 6 crack joints in a distance of 20-25 feet.

I was **** near dead in the water for what felt like forever doing 10mph. Truck coming up the road at 45 was understandably pissed at someone he thought had pulled out and stopped in the middle of the road for no apparent reason.

With the DTC off, the rear wheel doesn't "light up" when it crosses the crack sealants, it slips for a milisecond, and grabs traction again as soon as as it's back on regular pavement. Much quicker to regaining forward momentum, and I would prefer that my bike respond that way so I don't impede traffic because the bike won't accelerate.

Robert.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I contend in your above scenario that w/o DTC may have lit up the rear tire, making the situation worst. I've been on this forum 8+ years, clocked over 90,000 on my K bike, and I've read dang near every post since joining. You're the first to have an issue on pavement with DTC cutting in too soon and you insist the "problem" is inherent in the design of the bike. Nope, not buying it. Either something is wrong with your DTC (requires repair) or nothing is wrong with your DTC; e.g. you hit a patch of tar snakes and/or oil on the road.

Duane

·
Outta This World
2,002 Posts
I think the problem is a coincidental perfect spacing of tar snakes where the DTC didn't have enough time to roll throttle back on before encountering another crack causing it to detect slippage of the rear and cut power. While this certainly would be evidence of one situation where DTC may not have reacted quickly enough it is exacerbated by the fact that you absolutely needed that acceleration (maybe cut it too close in front of that truck) combined with the fact that the K1600 isn't tuned to sport bike DTC levels even in dynamic mode. (nor should it be). What is for sure is that unless your DTC is defective (unlikely) it was doing its job and that is the bottom line.

This whole situation however is a real corner case which is product design speak for the fact that no system is perfect and you found a case (an example) that the designers would not target to begin with. Looking at it from the other side, without DTC you may have just lit the tire up and while you may have made a lot more noise and the bike may have felt seat of the pants faster, you may not have accelerated any differently, DTC cut in because you had no traction. On top of which you would have put a lot more risk into the situation with a constantly spinning tire. In engineering terms to compensate you would have had to back off the throttle to reduce wheel spin (or hold on and pray) and while you might be better at rolling throttle on there is no way you are faster at rolling throttle off to control wheel spin especially in a fly by wire system. I am not being judgy, you could be the best rider in the world for all I know but the math says that DTC will beat you in controlling wheel spin every time. If that had happened to me, I would have chalked it up to bad timing/luck, I certainly would not be looking to defeat DTC because of this one spot of road, even motoGP bikes (best bikes, most horsepower to weight, best tires, best riders) rely on DTC. On top of which I know for a fact that DTC has saved me in a few situations and in dynamic mode the DTC tuning certainly suits the bike (weight, power, traction, etc).

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I think the problem is a coincidental perfect spacing of tar snakes where the DTC didn't have enough time to roll throttle back on before encountering another crack causing it to detect slippage of the rear and cut power. While this certainly would be evidence of one situation where DTC may not have reacted quickly enough it is exacerbated by the fact that you absolutely needed that acceleration (maybe cut it too close in front of that truck) combined with the fact that the K1600 isn't tuned to sport bike DTC levels even in dynamic mode. (nor should it be). What is for sure is that unless your DTC is defective (unlikely) it was doing its job and that is the bottom line.

This whole situation however is a real corner case which is product design speak for the fact that no system is perfect and you found a case (an example) that the designers would not target to begin with. Looking at it from the other side, without DTC you may have just lit the tire up and while you may have made a lot more noise and the bike may have felt seat of the pants faster, you may not have accelerated any differently, DTC cut in because you had no traction. On top of which you would have put a lot more risk into the situation with a constantly spinning tire. In engineering terms to compensate you would have had to back off the throttle to reduce wheel spin (or hold on and pray) and while you might be better at rolling throttle on there is no way you are faster at rolling throttle off to control wheel spin especially in a fly by wire system. I am not being judgy, you could be the best rider in the world for all I know but the math says that DTC will beat you in controlling wheel spin every time. If that had happened to me, I would have chalked it up to bad timing/luck, I certainly would not be looking to defeat DTC because of this one spot of road, even motoGP bikes (best bikes, most horsepower to weight, best tires, best riders) rely on DTC. On top of which I know for a fact that DTC has saved me in a few situations and in dynamic mode the DTC tuning certainly suits the bike (weight, power, traction, etc).
The alternative on such roads, instead of wishfully safely accelerating away from that truck is ending up on the ground as the tire spun out and getting actually run over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can switch the DTC off in the settings menu, but it is a once off. When you cycle the ignition it is enabled again

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Welp, Brentuning doesn't have a solution for me RN. Looks like I'll be turning off the DTC manually, at least for a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Pulling sensors? Really??? Why not just make it part of your start up procedure to turn it off in the menu? 🙄

Reactions: Gunnert
21 - 32 of 32 Posts