BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Had front tyre replaced by my usual garage, who rode bike out of the bay and stopped okay. But subsequently all front brake pressure was lost, lever back to the bars!!
Head scratching for 15 minutes, turning ignition on, starting the engine, pulling front lever and nothing. No lights on the dash indicating a problem. Then quite unexpectedly the front lever had normal braking pressure??
Rode bike home with great caution and everything seems fine again. Rear brake was unaffected.

Any thoughts on what could have happened please?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
If they opened the brake pads up when they re-hung the calipers, it normally takes a few pulls to reset the pads back into place. But look for residue around the calipers, if some nitwit pulled the brake lever while the calipers were off the rotors, a piston can be pushed too far out, and possibly start a fluid leak, and that would be a way to loose brake lever pull. It leaks a little more until you reset the pads each time, until no more fluid, and no more brakes. Its also not unheard of that air somehow gets introduced into the system while manipulating the calipers, and the brakes would need to be re-bled if that were the case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they opened the brake pads up when they re-hung the calipers, it normally takes a few pulls to reset the pads back into place. But look for residue around the calipers, if some nitwit pulled the brake lever while the calipers were off the rotors, a piston can be pushed too far out, and possibly start a fluid leak, and that would be a way to loose brake lever pull. It leaks a little more until you reset the pads each time, until no more fluid, and no more brakes. Its also not unheard of that air somehow gets introduced into the system while manipulating the calipers, and the brakes would need to be re-bled if that were the case.
I understand what you are saying, but there was/is no loss of brake fluid at all. Some searches suggest the modulator could be a cause?

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I have to agree that it is likely that the pads/pistons were prested back/in in order to remount them more easily. It is normal to have to pump the brakes until they are back into position closer to the rotors. If you’r not losing fluid and they’re feeling and responding normally, I would think you’re good to go.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
if it was stopped on the rear it would look fine

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
It really helps to know what model and year your talking about. My buddy's older r1200gt sporadically lost his front brakes where he had to pump them quickly to regain them due to a bad ABS control unit. He had to totally flush his brake system and then purposely hit the brakes hard enough to cause the ABS to trigger before the problem went away. Seems as though some junk had gotten into the ABS unit because he hadn't changed his brake fluid for years instead of doing every 2 years like you should.

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
@svfiat , I get it asking about year of bike, e.g. the fluid could be old, etc. But, I didn't know there are differences between K models? Please elaborate.

Duane

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bike is a 2012, 1600GT. Per my original post. The technician drove the bike out of the garage and brakes worked fine, pads seated to stop. He then noticed that pulling the front lever again, there was no pressure and lever was back to the bars.
No loss of brake fluid, resovoir full with fluid changed a year ago.
Pumped lever many times to no avail.......Tremendous amout of head scratching and amazement.
After about 15 Minutes we randomly pulled brake lever again and to much amazement there was brake pressure?!!
Rode home 50 miles and no problems.

So, what caused this blip??. No dealerships open because of the Virus lockdown.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Bike is a 2012, 1600GT. Per my original post. The technician drove the bike out of the garage and brakes worked fine, pads seated to stop. He then noticed that pulling the front lever again, there was no pressure and lever was back to the bars.
No loss of brake fluid, resovoir full with fluid changed a year ago.
Pumped lever many times to no avail.......Tremendous amout of head scratching and amazement.
After about 15 Minutes we randomly pulled brake lever again and to much amazement there was brake pressure?!!
Rode home 50 miles and no problems.

So, what caused this blip??. No dealerships open because of the Virus lockdown.
Like I said could have been a hung up valve in the ABS unit that freed itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts