BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Preema
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure I’ve not mentioned this but I’m training to be a licensed motorcycle riding instructor, my retirement cash flow plan... As part of today’s fun we were set a basic slow manoeuvre course, including a set of tight U turns, that we were expected to ride on our own bikes. The space given to U turn was within a standard car park parking space... Wish I’d brought the kids little CBR, all the other girls all had little, nippy bikes, but it is possible on the B, not fun but possible. Brought back all those memories from training decades ago... I surprised myself, managing all five that had been mapped out on the course.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I’m sure I’ve not mentioned this but I’m training to be a licensed motorcycle riding instructor, my retirement cash flow plan... As part of today’s fun we were set a basic slow manoeuvre course, including a set of tight U turns, that we were expected to ride on our own bikes. The space given to U turn was within a standard car park parking space... Wish I’d brought the kids little CBR, all the other girls all had little, nippy bikes, but it is possible on the B, not fun but possible. Brought back all those memories from training decades ago... I surprised myself, managing all five that had been mapped out on the course.
How wide are spaces there? They're 10 ft wide in the US, so I would think you would need two spaces.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
You go girl!

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
From what I remember 20 ft wide is the area for the u-turn. On a K1600 that requires pretty much a full lock with the handlebars. Practice Practice Practice.

·
Soupa Mod
2,421 Posts
I don't now how anything could u turn in those spaces.

Even a small car like my 1965 Mustang is 15'2" feet long at 182 inches.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I don't now how anything could u turn in those spaces.

Even a small car like my 1965 Mustang is 15'2" feet long at 182 inches.
For Auto's you have to complete a 3 point turn with out hitting the curbs on a normal width street usually 20 Ft to pass the test. Motorcycles are given 20 Ft to complete a U-turn.

·
Registered
351 Posts
We are such males...instead of congratulating Donna on her riding skills (although I do admit to enjoying her pics she’s posted), we start critiquing the space she is turning in!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well done ........ Better you than me though Donna. I think I would invest in something more appropriate for the job, like my little F650GS for instance, or maybe one of the 700 Yamahas.

The K16, in whatever form, is a big old beast that bites. It only needs the slightest stumble from the engine, or patch of gravel/diesel & you can be in trouble on full lock turns - I remember it well & so does my wallet. Parts, particularly tupperware, courtesy of BMW, doesn't come cheap.

·
Preema
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This was just the early test... There’s six girls all going through this course, and we’ve done a few days in the classroom but this was the first chance the boss got to see if we could actually ride. It was clear he was looking at how well we could ride the machines we were experienced with before he lets us lose with the company bikes.
The company does mostly learner rider instruction but is looking into the advanced training too. If we could not show the control needed to demonstrate to a class of learner riders, we’d be no good to him.
The company wants to set up ‘ladies only’ training with no boys instructing or as students.
I’ll admit I was nervous as, and a little worried I’d drop the beast. From here on we‘re on the companies little learner legal 250cc bikes. :)

·
Boom
669 Posts
... R E S P E C T !

... and pleace do remember boys, ... - she's doing it the wrong way around :)
That's what was going through my mind and I was thinking I would have a lot harder time making a tight circle to the right for a U-turn than my typical left direction!

·
Preema
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
411 Posts
I do not believe our K1600's can complete a u-turn within one parking space. That's only 10 ft wide. I think it would be nearly impossible for almost any motorcycle to turn completely around in only 10 ft. Harley touring bikes can do it in 18 ft., And when I had an ultra classic I did get it pretty close to that. The BMW turns a little tighter than that, but not 10 ft.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Preema
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think we have the makings of a fine friendly competition here. What do you think?
It’ll be interesting to see if there are model differences too.
Admins, can we run something like this?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
looks like 2 full spots to U turn on a adventure bike, I'd give it some space. I ride with some motormen, they train and work on HD bikes and are expected to do small figure 8's lock to lock without putting a foot down. It's impressive to say the least.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts