Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poll has ended
Please see attached pdf for suggested routes
Saturday 4th July & Sunday 5th July
Suggested route with two variations:
1. Tony’s crafted Welsh Lakes route starting and ending in Llanidloes
I need to know how many of us there will be to help select a suitable place to stayover and whether you fancy route 1 or 2 (or suggest another start and end location)
2. I don’t know the area but suggest the following (anyone who know the area please chip in)
a. Start Ellesmere (Suggest Friday night stay for those not local)
b. Start ride Saturday morning 10.30am
c. Coffee stop Lunch at LLanidloes
d. Overnight Sat in Bala
e. Sunday start from Bala
f. Stop at Ponderosa biker café in Llangollen lunch g. After lunch ride to Llangollen back to Ellesmere
Let me know if you are interested so we can finalise arrangements
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

Reactions: harry45w

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for your work on this.

My preference would be for one hotel for two nights, rather than moving from 1 hotel to another.

Joe

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, makes sense, thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know if Bala is any good to stay over two nights? (I don't know the area)
There is a pub, The White Lion, that has 25 rooms
We could split the route into two for Sat and Sun rides
What do think?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or Newtown maybe a better option
What about Maesmawr Hall Hotel, Long Length, Caersws SY17 5SF (a lot cheaper than The White Lion

·
Registered
281 Posts
One of my regular weekend trips but we can’t make this one as we are in Canada that weekend

·
Registered
10 Posts
Poll has ended
Please see attached pdf for suggested routes
Saturday 4th July & Sunday 5th July
Suggested route with two variations:
1. Tony’s crafted Welsh Lakes route starting and ending in Llanidloes
I need to know how many of us there will be to help select a suitable place to stayover and whether you fancy route 1 or 2 (or suggest another start and end location)
2. I don’t know the area but suggest the following (anyone who know the area please chip in)
a. Start Ellesmere (Suggest Friday night stay for those not local)
b. Start ride Saturday morning 10.30am
c. Coffee stop Lunch at LLanidloes
d. Overnight Sat in Bala
e. Sunday start from Bala
f. Stop at Ponderosa biker café in Llangollen lunch g. After lunch ride to Llangollen back to Ellesmere
Let me know if you are interested so we can finalise arrangements
Cheers
Andy
Hi Andy

Happy with your route, we would like to stay on Friday, could meet at the services and ride up together?
Regards

Mike

·
Registered
404 Posts
All looks and sounds good.

Going to try and ride up on Friday, do the ride Saturday, ride to Ponderosa on Sunday and then head home from there.

Do we have a consensus on Hotel?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Andy

It is in the diary :cool:

Sorry, I don't know the area either so not much help on the hotel selection, but I do concur with the 2 nights in the same hotel and that would be our preference.

regards
Mark & Wendy

·
Registered
281 Posts
I suggest if there is a lot of you, look at staying in Aberystwyth. There is a very nice hotel by Lake Vyrnwy, but it is expensive. Otherwise there are plenty of pubs with accommodation dotted around the area.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Belco et al,
We need others to respond to confirm they can come and then we can decide on hotel/location
Glad you are interested
Cheers
Andy

Reactions: K1600Belco

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suggest if there is a lot of you, look at staying in Aberystwyth. There is a very nice hotel by Lake Vyrnwy, but it is expensive. Otherwise there are plenty of pubs with accommodation dotted around the area.
Dave,
Vyrnwy hotel looks fantastic but too pricey
Aberystwyth probably a good place to stay but too far off main route
Any other suggestions welcome
Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi Andy

My self and my good lady should be able to make this - I'm only in Wigan, so can do what you originally suggested, but we are fairly flexible on route/cost and locations so happy to fit in :cool:

James

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great, six interested so far for Sat 4th & Sun 5th July North Wales weekend (with most staying over on the Friday 3rd)
  • Jesim1 (James & Pamela)
  • Turbo_Power (Mark & Wendy)
  • Joe-r (Joe & Diane)
  • K1600Belco (Simon & ?)
  • Mikedh5275 (Mike & Elaine)
  • AndyspK16 (Helen & Andy)
Come on guys (others) you know you want to come....

Reactions: vj60gt

·
Registered
281 Posts
Make it the following weekend and we will be there. As for more places to stay, look at Shrewsbury, Newtown and Oswestry. The fewer people there are, the more options you will have. Then look at Barmouth, Macynlleth, Aberdyfi, etc. Here is nice 5 Star Accommodation Snowdonia , but again can be expensive. Maybe they will do a deal for you?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Might I suggest Shrewsbury as the venue - plenty of hotels of various prices, reasonably well connected to the motorway network for those who might be doing the trip up / down after work on Friday, nice town centre and not too far off the proposed route.

Joe

·
Registered
467 Posts
Great, six interested so far for Sat 4th & Sun 5th July North Wales weekend (with most staying over on the Friday 3rd)
Angie and I would love to come along, but it clashes with another event that we're already committed to. Like @Dave W we could make the following weekend.

Something else to note is that July 4th / 5th is the weekend of the National Road Rally and I would be astonished if they don't have a few Controls around Wales - which would mean that any and every "biker haunt" is likely to be somewhat busy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok everyone, there are a few reasons to suggest moving the weekend to Sat 11th and Sun 12th (National Road Rally on 4th & 5th)
Can you make Sat 11th & Sun 12th July (many staying over Fri 10th July)?
Suggest hotel in Newtown
(there was a suggestion that Shrewsbury may be good but they have a Rock festival on 11th and hotels fully booked)
I have a hotel in mind and they currently have 10+ doubles available so once we have agreed the date I will send out details.
Thanks
Andy

Reactions: Dave W and st13phil

·
Registered
281 Posts
Had a look at the route and I think you are going to miss off some of the more scenic and best roads, for example the back road to Machynlleth from Newtown. This picture was taken on the route

1 - 20 of 68 Posts