BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm planning a 4 day ride out of Boise and want to ride up and down the scenic Sierra Nevada highways. Leaving either Sept. 7/8th or 15/16th. Day 1: Boise to Reno, Carson or other. Day 2: down CA-88 and up CA-4. Day 3: Down 108 and up 120 (side trip through Yosemite Park and Glacier Point Road) stay in Lee Vining (?). Day 4: home with a stop in Bodie, and up Alt95 through Silver Springs.

Can you recommend towns/motels to stay and things to see along these routes? Prefered direction? Suggested Itinerary? I enjoy historic sites and photography...I'd like to stop in Jamestown at Railtown Historic Park.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Last year we stayed at graeagle ca went down to Yosemite from there highway 49 is amazing, riding around Tahoe is great also also went north to lassen national park, we went the same time last year, it was beautiful, cool night, days in the 80s a great place we stay in was sierra city really neat town, have fun its a beautiful area

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lots of great roads around Tahoe. The 88/4 loop is a fav. Mel's in Jackson is a great lunch stop. If you are around on the 14-18th, the Reno Air Races are running and are truly a sight to behold. That could also impact hotel prices in Reno. Staying in or around Carson could save a few $$$. Ping me for more details if you wish.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Recommendations should depend on your purpose. My focus is on riding, so I tend to stick to the east side of the Sierras, avoiding California towns and traffic. My rides usually route up and over, U-turn and ride back east. The passes are different each direction you ride. We go west far enough to find gas, refill, then turn back.

We focus on the roads with the least traffic as they offer the best curves, 4 and 108 south of Tahoe, Mosquito Ridge, LaPorte/Quincy and Bucks Lake north, connecting everything with the little backroads. 88, 50, 89 & 70 only as necessary to connect backroads. 120 being avoided at all costs, except for east of 49 to the top of the hill.

But then again, for our rides it is all about the journey, with food only as necessary, gas as needed, no tourist attractions. A rigorous schedule that leaves you completely exhausted at the end of each days ride.

We also take hundreds of photos on our rides. It's just that we capture the unusual forgotten gold rush towns and scenic beauty found on the lonely and quiet backroads.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It sounds like you have a great ride planned. This is a great time of year for the Sierras. Caution, that ride from Boise to Reno can be a booger. 95 hits the corner of Oregon where the speed limit is reduced to 55. Makes it feel like your standing still. I have been informed that the Oregon troopers patrol that stretch pretty seriously for speeders. I enjoy letting a nice fast car pass me and then speed up and follow it for a while to let it run interference.

Have fun in your ride!

Martin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts