BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2019 K1600GT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an upcoming ride to Austin on 10/2 and plan on spending 5 days in the area doing a little exploring & eating some BBQ. My son said I need to try Salt Lick, but does anybody else have any other suggestions? Ride safe, Pikester

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I'm sure any street vendor in Texas has better BBQ than I can find here in NoCal. :unsure:

But a +1 for Salt Lick. Had a team meeting in Dallas about a month ago, and I took everybody to Salt Lick. It was hard to have discussions with our mouths full and sauce dripping everywhere.

·
Registered
2019 K1600GT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure any street vendor in Texas has better BBQ than I can find here in NoCal. :unsure:

But a +1 for Salt Lick. Had a team meeting in Dallas about a month ago, and I took everybody to Salt Lick. It was hard to have discussions with our mouths full and sauce dripping everywhere.
Yeah, our choices in New Mexico are pretty limited as well.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GTL
284 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
9000 Mi.
As you travel I-40 across, you'll get to Amarillo TX eventually. Well don't stop there to eat but do use your phone. Call The Bar B Que Shed in Weatherford OK. Ask if they have the jalapeno brisket special. Nothing else. If they do, you'll be doing yerself an injustice if you don't go out of your way to get some. Just sayin'.
🤣😋🤣

·
KBiK
2015 K1600GTS
2,297 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Reactions: J-Luv and JSykora

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I have an upcoming ride to Austin on 10/2 and plan on spending 5 days in the area doing a little exploring & eating some BBQ. My son said I need to try Salt Lick, but does anybody else have any other suggestions? Ride safe, Pikester
I'd vote for Salt lick as well, did the line up at Franklin, Brisket was excellent and it was an experience but never want to do that line again, hard not to find good BBQ in that part of the world but Salt lick had great food and atmosphere, the roads up in the hills looked pretty good as well, hated that I was stuck in a rental car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Probably shouldn’t sleep on Rudy’s either. Stop for gas and have some ‘Q.
Rudy’s BBQ

+1 on Blacks as well but if you are mounted I would do yourself a favor and ride on down to the original in Lockhart
Black’s BBQ

+1 Salt Lick

I’ve never had Franklin’s but I sure have watched a bunch of his YouTube videos. Boy knows what he’s doin, ain’t no doubt.

·
Registered
2019 K1600GT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I rode to Austin to do a knife forging class with our son, he and our daughter-in-law took me to Terry Black's BBQ and it was great.
I’ve heard quite a few good things about Black’s and heard there are a few in the area.
The The Hard Eight is among the best I’ve had, but it’s been awhile.
Looks like a smorgasbord on their website! Add another one to the list.

·
Registered
2019 K1600GT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As you travel I-40 across, you'll get to Amarillo TX eventually. Well don't stop there to eat but do use your phone. Call The Bar B Que Shed in Weatherford OK. Ask if they have the jalapeno brisket special. Nothing else. If they do, you'll be doing yerself an injustice if you don't go out of your way to get some. Just sayin'.
🤣😋🤣
I’m spending the night in Lubbock on the way down, but might have to hit the Shed on the way home.

·
Registered
2019 K1600GT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The top BBQ in Austin as rated by the Texas Tribune in 2021 are:

Franklin's is almost impossible to eat at because of the long lines, but all of these BBQ joints have limited hours and will sell out.quickly. I recommend Leroy and Lewis in South Austin.

2022 - Texas Barbecue (texasmorleys.com)
Thanks Andy! I received the Austin visitors guide and it mentions all of them as well, along with Sam’s BBQ food truck that specializes in mutton ribs…..

·
Registered
2019 K1600GT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd vote for Salt lick as well, did the line up at Franklin, Brisket was excellent and it was an experience but never want to do that line again, hard not to find good BBQ in that part of the world but Salt lick had great food and atmosphere, the roads up in the hills looked pretty good as well, hated that I was stuck in a rental car.
From what I’m reading, it sounds like if you plan on going to Franklin’s, you better get there early & plan on waiting for a while. Definitely going to visit Salt Lick in Driftwood. It looks like it should be a nice ride.

·
Registered
2019 K1600GT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably shouldn’t sleep on Rudy’s either. Stop for gas and have some ‘Q.
Rudy’s BBQ

+1 on Blacks as well but if you are mounted I would do yourself a favor and ride on down to the original in Lockhart
Black’s BBQ

+1 Salt Lick

I’ve never had Franklin’s but I sure have watched a bunch of his YouTube videos. Boy knows what he’s doin, ain’t no doubt.
Rudy’s is my after Church spot here in Albuquerque. Pretty decent, considering NM is known for Mexican food & not BBQ.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts