BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I hear that Stubb's BBQ is pretty good. Stubb's BBQ
Plus you can hear some good Jazz there as well.
Stubbs is great. Not only that but when you are there you are right on Dirty Sixth. You can hear any genre of music you like, live, wthin a few blocks.

Stay at the Driskill Hotel on 6th and Brazos. It’s fantastic.

The Driskill

·
Texas Thorn
2,607 Posts
I’m spending the night in Lubbock on the way down, but might have to hit the Shed on the way home.
If you have time while in Lubbock, drive out to Wolfforth to Evie Mae's BBQ. Wolfforth is a small community, SW edge of Lubbock on US 82. Anybody in Lubbock can tell you where it is exactly. I was one of Texas Monthly's top 10.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an upcoming ride to Austin on 10/2 and plan on spending 5 days in the area doing a little exploring & eating some BBQ. My son said I need to try Salt Lick, but does anybody else have any other suggestions? Ride safe, Pikester
I live in Austin so I can help you out. The original salt lick is worth going to simply because of its location and history. It's good but not the best. A lot of getting great barbecue in Austin has to do with a willingness to stand in line. I strongly recommend Franklin's, Le Barbecue, Terry black's, and Coopers which is a bit outside of Austin but worth every bite. Lastly, having dined at every one of these places and more, I firmly recommend Rudy's specifically for their moist brisket. Other than Cooper's barbecue, I have not had better moist brisket in 20 years living here than Rudy's, and Texas is brisket country.

·
Registered
2019 K1600GT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I live in Austin so I can help you out. The original salt lick is worth going to simply because of its location and history. It's good but not the best. A lot of getting great barbecue in Austin has to do with a willingness to stand in line. I strongly recommend Franklin's, Le Barbecue, Terry black's, and Coopers which is a bit outside of Austin but worth every bite. Lastly, having dined at every one of these places and more, I firmly recommend Rudy's specifically for their moist brisket. Other than Cooper's barbecue, I have not had better moist brisket in 20 years living here than Rudy's, and Texas is brisket country.
Thanks for the recommendations! I had heard of all the places you mentioned except for Le Barbecue, until I read about them in the Austin guide I received in the mail. Yeah, yeah, some of us still like reading from a magazine or a book! I’m trying to pass that on to my 10 year old granddaughter, but this generation likes their electronics.

·
Registered
63 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
16600 miles
If you have time to travel slightly outside of the Austin area(within 30 - 60 miles) , I would suggest the following

Rockdale, Tx - Brett's Backyard BBQ

Taylor, Tx - Louie Mueller BBQ

Thorndale Tx - Thorndale Meat Market - they also serve BBQ in addition to being a meat market

Spicewood, Tx - Opie's BBQ

Lockhart, Tx, there are several BBQ places...Black's, Smitty's, Kreug's, and Chisholm Trail BBQ. My favorite is Black's.

You won't go hungry with any of the choices listed here or previous suggestions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
16600 miles
One other comment regarding Rudy's BBQ....I like Rudy's and go there often for a quick bbq fix....it's a BBQ chain restaurant. The food is very consistent and generally pretty good however, it's sub-par(IMO) relative to the really good non-chain BBQ places listed in this post. Rudy's cook with natural gas smokers instead of hard-wood so the flavoring is completely different if your a bbq purist. It's the only way for them to never run out of food. Salt-lick is similar style bbq joint - they use a combination of hard-wood and natural gas hence it's not true Texas bbq from a bbq purist(ie bbq snob) perspective

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have time to travel slightly outside of the Austin area(within 30 - 60 miles) , I would suggest the following

Rockdale, Tx - Brett's Backyard BBQ

Taylor, Tx - Louie Mueller BBQ

Thorndale Tx - Thorndale Meat Market - they also serve BBQ in addition to being a meat market

Spicewood, Tx - Opie's BBQ

Lockhart, Tx, there are several BBQ places...Black's, Smitty's, Kreug's, and Chisholm Trail BBQ. My favorite is Black's.

You won't go hungry with any of the choices listed here or previous suggestions.
These are phenomenal suggestions but unnecessary as he can get everything he needs within Austin city limits. But, since I live here, I'll check out a couple of your recommendations :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
One other comment regarding Rudy's BBQ....I like Rudy's and go there often for a quick bbq fix....it's a BBQ chain restaurant. The food is very consistent and generally pretty good however, it's sub-par(IMO) relative to the really good non-chain BBQ places listed in this post. Rudy's cook with natural gas smokers instead of hard-wood so the flavoring is completely different if your a bbq purist. It's the only way for them to never run out of food. Salt-lick is similar style bbq joint - they use a combination of hard-wood and natural gas hence it's not true Texas bbq from a bbq purist(ie bbq snob) perspective
Great points, but Rudy's moist brisket is indisputably among the very best anywhere in Texas. I'm only speaking for their moist brisket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations! I had heard of all the places you mentioned except for Le Barbecue, until I read about them in the Austin guide I received in the mail. Yeah, yeah, some of us still like reading from a magazine or a book! I’m trying to pass that on to my 10 year old granddaughter, but this generation likes their electronics.
Lol. I have a stock of books I too am reading right now. Good luck with getting this generation to read. But God-bless you for trying.

·
Registered
206 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Everyone I know who lives in Austin, and I know a few plus I used to spend time there myself, always comes back to and raves about Rudy's.

Austin needs a Hutchin's though. Unless somebody else is making Texas Twinkies there.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
Great points, but Rudy's moist brisket is indisputably among the very best anywhere in Texas. I'm only speaking for their moist brisket.
Being a Californian, take my input for what it's worth (or not worth ;) ). Before I retired, I had a part-time office in San Antonio. I regularly frequented the Rudy's in Westover Hills. I usually stood in a long line along with the locals who couldn't wait to bust into the place. Honestly, I couldn't figure out what the big deal was. It was OK, but from my perspective, nothing to rave about. The Brisket was edible, but a little dry for my tastes. I was only a repeat customer because a few of my employees really liked the place and it was all about being polite. :) Of course, maybe it was just this location and the others have Brisket to die for.

In general, from my experience, anything "chain" is going to be a compromise over mom-and-pop places that take a special pride in their product. Maybe Rudy's is a sometimes exception.

·
Texas Thorn
2,607 Posts
I think Rudy's is not very consistant (sp), from location to location. I have gone to serveral locations; some good and some not so good. Agree that there are enough good BBQ places in the Austin area to satisfy anyone for weeks . A lot of those mentioned above are excellent and have eaten at many of them. Enjoy Texas "Q"!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone I know who lives in Austin, and I know a few plus I used to spend time there myself, always comes back to and raves about Rudy's.

Austin needs a Hutchin's though. Unless somebody else is making Texas Twinkies there.
Hutchin's would be warmly welcomed, but they are very wisely located in a place with far less BBQ competition. Superior suggestion though.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts