BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to try and hit all three mountains Adam's, St Helens and Rainer. Just need the time to do it now between work and everything else going on. If anyone has done this route is there anything that I should watch out for other than the few patches of gravel here and there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Washington Forest Service Road 90?
Megawatt115, Did you do the planned ride last year? If so, how was the section on Forest Road 90 between Randle and Swift Reservoir along the east flank of Mt St Helens? I’ve driven it in a car a couple of times 5 years ago and it’s a beautiful stretch, but not yet ridden it on my bike, though it’s more or less in my back yard (Woodland WA). The forest service web site says that FR90 road is now open and free of snow but in rough condition with a few potholes. Advice? Thanks.

Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Washington Forest Service Road 90?
Megawatt115, Did you do the planned ride last year? If so, how was the section on Forest Road 90 between Randle and Swift Reservoir along the east flank of Mt St Helens? I’ve driven it in a car a couple of times 5 years ago and it’s a beautiful stretch, but not yet ridden it on my bike, though it’s more or less in my back yard (Woodland WA). The forest service web site says that FR90 road is now open and free of snow but in rough condition with a few potholes. Advice? Thanks.

Ken

The route I took last year was NF 23 from Trout Lake to NF 90 then on to NF 25 (Hwy 90) by Swift Reservoir over to Randle. I did not ride 123 over to 410 Mt Rainer I ran out of time. And made the mistake of doing the ride over Labor day weekend. Packwood had a town festival going on and took almost a hour to get thru town. NF 23 between Trout Lake and NF 90 good road except for a few gravel areas. NF 90 between NF 23 and NF 25 had alot of pot holes some very bad. That combined with the shady road surface made it hard to see them if not paying close attention. Take your time and pick your route through the pot holes. NF 25 from Swift Reservoir to Randle no potholes but have to be careful on that road due to ocassional uneven road surfaces (slide areas) not to bad if you are not riding to fast. Would I do the route again YES especially knowing what to expect and taking my time. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Washington Forest Road 25.

Megawatt115, Thanks for the quick reply. I now realize that I mixed up Forest Road 90 & 23 (to Mt Adams/Trout Lake) with Forest Road 25 (to Mt St Helens/Randle). It’s a maze of forest service roads on the map. The forest service web site says FR 25 (Randle) is still closed from snow as of May 30, which is the segment I had hoped to ride as soon as we get a sun break in this rainy weather. Instead I’ll target riding the snow free FR 90 & 23 segment which from your 2019 description is as I expected, slow cautious riding. All these roads were closed by the forest service due to the Coronavirus shutdown when I did an exploratory ride last month, that closure is lifted.

To anyone else reading this, I echo your caution about the shadows from trees making it very difficult to see potholes and breaks in the pavement ahead of you on all of these low maintenance forest service roads. Last year I towed (with my 4Runner) a low clearance passenger car that had become high centered on a pavement break/heave and was blocking the road...the driver did not see the drop off.

FR 25 link: Gifford Pinchot National Forest - Forest Road 25

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I now realize that I mixed up Forest Road 90 & 23 (to Mt Adams/Trout Lake) with Forest Road 25 (to Mt St Helens/Randle). It’s a maze of forest service roads on the map.

Lol I know what you mean. It took me a while last year to go through all the maps and GPS to try and figure out which roads I was looking for. Between the slightly differing road names on maps, map apps and GPS.

To anyone else reading this, I echo your caution about the shadows from trees making it very difficult to see potholes and breaks in the pavement ahead of you on all of these low maintenance forest service roads.

Definitely agree with your statement above. Anyone riding that road be careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts