BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to go get my 2018 GTL new to me this Saturday, FINALLY! Anyway, when I pick it up, I have a 10 to 12 hour ride home.

I have a simple solution to my need for music, I am bluetoothing my iPhone to my Schuberth (Sena made) SC-10UA. My concern is, the battery length of continuous playing of my iPhone and the current draw. Is the side pocket USB capable of powering the iPhone?

Are there any other USB sockets on the GTL?

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Going to go get my 2018 GTL new to me this Saturday, FINALLY! Anyway, when I pick it up, I have a 10 to 12 hour ride home.

I have a simple solution to my need for music, I am bluetoothing my iPhone to my Schuberth (Sena made) SC-10UA. My concern is, the battery length of continuous playing of my iPhone and the current draw. Is the side pocket USB capable of powering the iPhone?

That USB socket should be able to power the phone indefinitely for music playing. You're going to have to run a cable somewhere since I doubt your phone will fit in that box. However, I'd either go with Gunnert's suggestion or use a battery pack tucked in a jacket pocket with your phone.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That USB socket should be able to power the phone indefinitely for music playing. You're going to have to run a cable somewhere since I doubt your phone will fit in that box. However, I'd either go with Gunnert's suggestion or use a battery pack tucked in a jacket pocket with your phone.
So the box on the right hand side, is too small to hold an iPhone XR? I've never really looked that closely at it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
965 Posts

View attachment 140562
On the bold, to answer your question, yes, the USB plug in the right compartment does charge your phone slowly. If your screen is on all the time (Ex. Using Waze), it doesn't really charge much, but it does maintain current power (Charges too, but very slowly).
I have my phone in a mount at the handlebars, and an extension cable from the compartment to the phone. Works great.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I listen to music all day long without plugging my phone in. Yes the port with the adapter Duane posted will keep your phone charged up but the music playing will not use much battery at all. It's the screen being on all the time that uses the battery so leave it off.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I listen to music all day long without plugging my phone in. Yes the port with the adapter Duane posted will keep your phone charged up but the music playing will not use much battery at all.
@Rick92040 I haven't tried it before, as my solution for music was just recently developed for riding the GTL. My Victory Vision, I've built out a huge audio system. 4X100 channel amp, RockfordFosgate PMX-2 HU, and JL Audio 6 1/2" speakers....But my hears are now paying the price of all the wind noise while riding.

So, I've built this set up, iPhone, SC-10UA, and Sensaphonics XS-2 IEMs to combat the wind noise.Just don't know how long my iPhone will last.

Thanks for the information...

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
So the box on the right hand side, is too small to hold an iPhone XR? I've never really looked that closely at it.

Thanks!
Nope. That box was designed/sized when phones were much smaller. New phones with 5-6" screens are just too big to fit.

I just put all music on a USB stick and plug that in to the USB outlet and forget about it.

I've also toyed with a USB--Bluetooth Receiver in that box to listen to stuff from the phone mounted elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup. Agree. A lot cleaner as well as controllable by the motorcycle interface.

Joe
@BMWGuy I thought everybody was saying the motorcycle interface was horrible? I read that the bluetooth on the GTL was horrible, that's why everybody was adding all these extra bluetooth connections. (I forgot the bluetooth interface devices)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I thought everybody was saying the motorcycle interface was horrible?
It's not stellar performance, but for most people, I reckon it's good enough, right up until you add a passenger into the mix, maybe try and interface radar detectors etc, then the limitations start to show.

Joe

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use one of those Bluetooth transmitters mounted to the Aux port in the saddlebag of my B. I also plug the USB port in the bag to the transmitter to keep it charged.

I mount the phone to the handlebar using a Quad Lock mount. If I need to charge my phone I can run the cable over to the charging port using the device Duane linked to. I like having the phone on the bars in front of me. I can skip tracks easily, plus I can see an incoming call or text to decide if I need to pull over to answer/respond.

Zach

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yup. Agree. A lot cleaner as well as controllable by the motorcycle interface.

Joe
The memory stick option works well. However, recently, I’ve got hooked on listening to Apple Music from my iPhone, routed through my NAV to my Cardo helmet system. I can easily change what I’m listening to by a quick touch of the screen, or through Cardo voice commands.

There are many ways to skin the music cat.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
@BMWGuy I thought everybody was saying the motorcycle interface was horrible?
I guess it depends on your level of expectation.
I use the BMW SRC System and the interface is seamless. Connects every time and the system does everything as expected: Music. Radio. GPS. Phone.
Not exactly a concert hall inside my helmet but the audio quality is sufficient for my needs.

Joe

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess it depends on your level of expectation.
I use the BMW SRC System and the interface is seamless. Connects every time and the system does everything as expected: Music. Radio. GPS. Phone.
Not exactly a concert hall inside my helmet but the audio quality is sufficient for my needs.

Joe
@BMWGuy Does the GTL Bluetooth connect to other devices, seems like I read that it ONLY connects to the BMW SRC system? My SC-10UA is a Sena made exclusive for the Schuberth C3 Pro helmet. Do you think it would connect to the GTL? Would it allow the USB stick to bluetooth music to the SC10-UA?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
@BMWGuy Does the GTL Bluetooth connect to other devices, seems like I read that it ONLY connects to the BMW SRC system? My SC-10UA is a Sena made exclusive for the Schuberth C3 Pro helmet. Do you think it would connect to the GTL? Would it allow the USB stick to bluetooth music to the SC10-UA?
Hard to answer your question definitively.
Mine is a 2012 and an older BT version. That said, before I upgraded to the SRC system, I used a Sena 10-U (also older BT). So I would say that the motorcycle will connect to other BT devices.
The Sena was not as reliable as the SRC. It would occasionally drop connection and I had to re-pair everything. I think they have made vast improvements since then.

Your USB drive automatically connects to the motorcycle comm system so if you can access the motorcycles comm system you should be good to go.

My experience with my SRC (and Sena) is that functionality depends on the pairing sequence:
1) Delete all pairings on all devices!
2) Pair the motorcycle comm system to your helmet
3) Pair the GPS to your helmet
4) Pair your phone to the GPS

You should be completely functional.

Hope that helps.

Joe

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi Joe, first of all, congratulations on the new bike and wow what a great colour too. lol, I am a bit bias that way.:cool::p(y) I use my phone for music and the normal use every time I ride most of my riding days are and have always been 9 hours plus and have never had an issue using the USB and the lightning cable connected to the cig. lighter connection on the right side of the BMW. After full days of riding listening to my fav. music all day I come home and the phone is fully charged. I am happy that you got your bike and wish you lots of great safe riding you will love the GTL and its power, along with fantastic handling they have for such a big bike. The balance is second to none I pull up at lights and even when stopped I can manage to balance the bike in most cases without having to put my little footies on the ground lol. Enjoy and now you can be like all of us start spending heaps on accessories that your better half won't:cool::sneaky: know about lol. I don't use the blue tooth on the bike all I do is use the phone and helmet Bluetooth and that's enough for what my needs are. Prior to buying the new Shoei NXR helmet and the New Packtalk Bold I had a Schuberth C4 with the SC1, but have to say the Packtalk runs rings around the Sena units for voice recognition and sound quality. The only thing I do miss if my NXR being a full face rather than a modular helmet, although both are very comfortable and you do get used to the full face.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts