BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to use my NAV VI from the K1600B on another non-BMW motorcycle (KTM SD) so as to get the best use of the NAV VI. Does anyone have any experience doing this and if so what components would be required? My BMW dealer suggested buying a Nav VI cradle for $193 and a Garmin GPS mount for the bike. This seemed like an expensive mounting option so hoping someone has experience they can share. Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would like to use my NAV VI from the K1600B on another non-BMW motorcycle (KTM SD) so as to get the best use of the NAV VI. Does anyone have any experience doing this and if so what components would be required? My BMW dealer suggested buying a Nav VI cradle for $193 and a Garmin GPS mount for the bike. This seemed like an expensive mounting option so hoping someone has experience they can share. Appreciate any advice.
Try this website GPS City www.gpscity.com

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try looking for garmin 660 cradle. It will fit and may be cheaper.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Dave I share a Nav VI between my GT and 1290 Super Adventure. I bought my Nav VI with the cradle but you can find it separately. I just used a RAM mount with a round AMPS pattern to attach the cradle. It is not a locking version but I don't care, it easily pops off if there is a concern. BMW makes a dongle (don't know the part number) which will connect to the Nav VI harness that you can use to tie in to the power off your Super Duke. The Nav VI connector had three wires, but you will only need to use the + and - connections.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Over time I have collected a lot of GPS's. Six altogether. Like you I wanted to make them interchangeable. I approached this by adding a Powerlet (BMW power) connector and a Ram Ball on each cradle. My GTLe is the exception and only has the internal mount for the Nav V. So only the Nav V and the two Garmin Zumo 665's will work on the GTLe.

If I wanted to expand the options for my GTLe, I could add a Ram mount and power connector, like you see on all the other bikes. That would probably not be a difficult job, but I don't see it as necessary. I also have a cradle for the Nav V that I could put a Ram ball and Powerlet (male) connector on, if I wanted to use the Nav V on my other bikes. But that doesn't seem necessary, either.

GPSMap 376c, Zumo 665, Zumo 595. Not picture is a 378

Ram ball and powerlet (female) on my SDGT

Ram Ball and Powerlet (female) on my Goldwing

Ram Ball and Powerlet on my homemade mount on my KTM 500Exc

Ram Ball and Powerlet (female) on my KTM 990 Adventure

The Bikes. Not pictured is a 2004 Goldwing in Germany with the same set as the other Goldwing

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
When Garmin was producing the Zumo 660 those cradles were plentiful and noticeably less expensive than the BMW Nav cradles. Now that the Zumo 660 has been out of production for several years it almost impossible to purchase the Zumo 660 cradles.

If you can find a Zumo 660 cradle it will work to power the BMW Nav IV, Nav V and Nav VI. They are almost never available though.

Getting the BMW mount will be the most direct and accessible way to get the cradle you need. It did not used to be that way but for the past few years it is often the only way.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Keep in mind that BMW offers a 4-button cradle mount, and a Car adapter Kit (without buttons) for the Navigator GPS units.

And as others have mentioned, a standard cradle for a Garmin Zumo 660 or 665 will work just as well (no buttons).

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Over time I have collected a lot of GPS's. Six altogether. Like you I wanted to make them interchangeable. I approached this by adding a Powerlet (BMW power) connector and a Ram Ball on each cradle. My GTLe is the exception and only has the internal mount for the Nav V. So only the Nav V and the two Garmin Zumo 665's will work on the GTLe.

If I wanted to expand the options for my GTLe, I could add a Ram mount and power connector, like you see on all the other bikes. That would probably not be a difficult job, but I don't see it as necessary. I also have a cradle for the Nav V that I could put a Ram ball and Powerlet (male) connector on, if I wanted to use the Nav V on my other bikes. But that doesn't seem necessary, either.

The Bikes. Not pictured is a 2004 Goldwing in Germany with the same set as the other Goldwing
Welp, I've told other people who have bike electronics questions to google for answers on this site, and this is just another example of why it's the overall best place to get info., period! All I knew was that it could be done, Garmin probably offered a cheaper option than BMW, and to shop around. Guys here provided specifics.

On this particular post, and the picture I saved for the quote, I'm tempted to show it to my wife and say, "See, honey. I'm not the only one with that many motorcycles." But I know her response would be, "Well, yes, but he probably makes more money than you." She's a sweetheart like that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welp, I've told other people who have bike electronics questions to google for answers on this site, and this is just another example of why it's the overall best place to get info., period! All I knew was that it could be done, Garmin probably offered a cheaper option than BMW, and to shop around. Guys here provided specifics.

On this particular post, and the picture I saved for the quote, I'm tempted to show it to my wife and say, "See, honey. I'm not the only one with that many motorcycles." But I know her response would be, "Well, yes, but he probably makes more money than you." She's a sweetheart like that.
Ha, you can tell her I'm retired, living on a fixed income and drive a 2006 Suburban. Someone once told me to invest in your passion and I have tried to make that my mantra.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts