BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2014 GTL, I purchased this used with 22,000 KMS. I noticed a little vibration on the handlebars during hard braking. I've just replaced the front brake pads as well as a brand new tire on the front. It is not worse than before, lots of vibration as soon as I touch the front brake lever. Any thoughts on how to correct this? Warped Rotors?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Assuming the front tyre bead has been set correctly, then at 22k Kms it's probably a warped rotor or corroded bobbins......... or both.

If you have access to a brake test roller in Canada, then that will assess braking efficiency & advise on any run-out. Otherwise it is difficult to assess floating discs accurately with a DTI, although the disc surface itself may show some witness - high/low spots or discolouration due to overheating.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
Concur with @Prince . Did you clean the pistons before installing new pads?

Duane

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've checked with BMW, the rotors are $400 each and the caliper seal kit is $220 each side, which included the pistons, which I don't need. I've re-built calipers before but I have always used fresh seals. Is it recommended that I rebuild the calipers with existing seals?

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
@racejunkie905 , I don't think you problem requires rebuilding the calipers. One caliper at a time, remove caliper from rotor, remove the pads, CAREFULLY pump pistons out a bit, and thoroughly clean around the pistons. Try that and I'll bet you a dime to a dollar your problem is gone. If you don't replace the seals you aren't rebuilding the calipers. That being said, I've completely disassembled/reassembled front and rear calipers on my bike. (had them powder coated). Each time I reused the seals with no issues. But, I had to replace the banjo bolt crush washers.

Duane

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@racejunkie905 , I don't think you problem requires rebuilding the calipers. One caliper at a time, remove caliper from rotor, remove the pads, CAREFULLY pump pistons out a bit, and thoroughly clean around the pistons. Try that and I'll bet you a dime to a dollar your problem is gone. If you don't replace the seals you aren't rebuilding the calipers. That being said, I've completely disassembled/reassembled front and rear calipers on my bike. (had them powder coated). Each time I reused the seals with no issues. But, I had to replace the banjo bolt crush washers.

Duane
Thanks for the advice once again. When I replaced the pads, I did not clean the pistons, I will double check these.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Could it be wheel bearings/ Even though the op only notices the judder under braking?

I'm not technical so if its a stupid suggestion go easy.........

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Wheel bearing came to my mind as well...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like a warped rotor as I reread your post, you have attempted to correct the brake vibration with a new front tire and new pads and you still have a brake shake. Measure your run-out on your front rotors I think you are going to find the culprit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Or damaged wheel?

is the vibration ONLY when applying brake level or is it there upon engine deceleration? If ONLY brake level - likely not a wheel/tire/bearing issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like a warped rotor as I reread your post, you have attempted to correct the brake vibration with a new front tire and new pads and you still have a brake shake. Measure your run-out on your front rotors I think you are going to find the culprit.
I had similar problems with steering and vibration while applying brakes. Dealer checked and responded with everything is in speck. Problem was still there and I did this:
1. replaced rotors with aftermarket ones for less than half the cost. problem fixed
2. suspected the two steering ball joints in the control arms upper and lower. The dealer
said they were fine. Had both ball joints replaced anyway and problem fixed. dealer said
after removal the lower unit was notched. Extended warranty paid for the bad one. My
bike was built in May 2011( printed on fork assembly).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts