BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there will be a few different views but was interested in seeing what people had to say.

I have been ridding for 40+years over that time the gear we where to ride has changed a great deal. I for one continue to upgrade my gear so I have high end safety equipment.
Modular helmet most days although I have been known to use an open face one in summer
Jacked with padding
Padded over pants if on long rides or in heavy commuter traffic
Gloves
and now on a very regular basses I use an air vest.

I have been lucky and not had to test this equipment out but I use it just in case.

I also have taken several ridding courses and every 4-5 years take an refresher one just because I think they help.

I believe it is up to us to do what we can to make ridding safe but there is always the chance something happens that you can not avoid. Had a friend hit at a stop sign by someone cutting a corner to sharp clipping the front of his bike.

So my question: Does all the added safety gear make you a less safe rider as in people get over confident because they have this gear on and do not pay as much attention?
Or
(This is my view) I do the best I can to be safe and have the added protection for the one off where I can not prevent the crash but want to get through it as best I can.

I am asking this because on another site had a guy try and tell me all the new safety gear has made motorcycle (and car) drivers less safe and the real issue is just bikers not paying attention.

Thanks Louis

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I do not concur Louis; safety gear allows one to ride the edge of the operational envelope perhaps, but it does not embolden me at all. When I am fully suited out (on a long ride) I am aware that the gear gives me a chance I may not otherwise have, but it does not make me tougher to hurt. No amount of pads will improve the feeling of a car parked on your chest.

At the forefront of my mind when I am on the edge is not how protected I feel, it is how much I will hurt the bike if I go too far. I do not think of my own potential harm at all - I wouldn't because that is a distraction. I think only of the line I am taking and my escape vector should I need to evade quickly.

Safety gear is there only in case I F' up.

What I do notice and think about is how warm and comfy it is in my suit, and how good this day feels.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
First you have to separate safety gear from safety systems. Both matter but they are very different beasts. Getting into two different models of a car, one with and one without lane control, the fact that one has it is opaque to the unaware driver until it engages. Safety systems like ABS, active collision avoidance, lane keeping, pedestrian detection, etc are not something you put on every day so how are they going to make people less safe? IOW most people buy them and then promptly forget about them.

Safety gear is completely different. I suppose that there are some people that put on the gear and ride like morons but for the most part, if you are purchasing the gear you are at least aware of the consequences and you make an active decision on whether or not you are going to use it.

Modular helmet most days although I have been known to use an open face one in summer
With good safety gear you forget you have it on and just ride, or at least I do but then its ATGATT for me.

The new safety gear on cars has made them safer, the root cause of accidents has shifted to distracted driving and probably the only reason we don't see more/worse accidents than we do is that the safety gear is doing its job. The fact that the drivers are distracted has nothing to do with the safety systems, it has everything to do with poor driving habits and I will throw in that many cagers, regardless of demographic or culture feel empowered and entitled when driving. People simply turn into d*cks when driving when they might otherwise be reasonable people.

Unlike car safety systems, much of the safety systems on motorcycles still require active participation. i.e. ABS and engine control systems may stop you from losing a wheel but it will not stop you from driving in the wrong lane, not will it auto brake, or detect foreign objects.

Motorcycle riding, unlike car driving, is a fully engaged exercise. It requires that you constantly practice riding or.. you have an accident. If you look at the statistics for motorcycles the trends are clear - cruisers, the young or the older demographic, alcohol involved. I suppose that there are some folks who are distracted when riding a bike but it is much harder to do (less convenient, and you are actively aware of the higher penalty for being distracted). Safety gear is there to help lower the consequences of getting it all wrong no matter what the reason is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Motorcycles are inherently dangerous. Wear the best gear you can afford & feel comfortable wearing. There is no way you can predict what the the road condition is up ahead or others around you. I have been riding for over 40 yrs pushing the limit in my younger days. Many broken bones. I wear gear it has saved my life. Yes crashing sucks & hurts. The motorcycle has 2 wheels it will eventually fall over with you on it or not. If your doubting things maybe it's time to hang it up... I've been there but keep gearing up because it just to dam fun.
⛮ Wear your gear ⛮

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I've been doing this for 50+ years. I ride every day it doesn't rain. I wear a helmet only when it's the law. I wear leather only when it's cold. When I ride I don't take anything for granted. I always leave 3 car lengths in front of me and the reason I leave that much room is because I don't want to create a blind spot for vehicles coming out of side roads. Riding close to the vehicle in front of you hides you from side traffic. I check my mirrors every couple seconds and I keep track of all the vehicles around me at all times. I don't keep myself in anyone's blind spot for more then a few seconds. I don't take my eyes off any vehicle who is coming to an intersection from a side street. I don't drive in the center of the lane where all the oil is. I ALWAYS look both ways before I start off from a green light to make sure an idiot isn't running a light. I'm always looking far down the road for trouble if I see brake lights way ahead of me I automatically roll off and see how it sorts out. I don't race to a red light what's the sense. I ALWAYS tap my brake lever a few times before I even start to slow down just to let the driver behind me of my intentions as down shifting doesn't light the brake light. I ALWAYS use my turn signals even when just changing lanes and even if no one's behind me so I'll keep up the habit. I always drive 10 over the speed limit to put space between me and traffic behind. I never carve up a road I've never been on till I know the road condition for the second pass. I always stay on my side of the road. This is not to say I've never been down. In my younger years I've low sided 5 times due to sand, oil, leaves or debris, took my case of road rash and learned from it, always ride the road and learn it first. Never got a scratch on the helmet by the way. I never fixate on the the thing that's gonna hurt, I fixate on the escape route to save my @ss. I regularly find myself in a big parking lot screwing around with full lock turns just to make sure I haven't lost my touch. When the bike is in motion my feet are on the pegs, ALWAYS.
Every Saturday and Sunday I see people ATGATT and for the most part they can't ride worth a sh1t. Just like the guy in that video posted about the new air vest. He should be wearing safety gear like that because he can't ride. For the most part I believe ATGATT gives most riders a false sense of security and they end up riding way over their heads which usually ends up with bad results.
Just my 2 cents ..............................

·
Registered
906 Posts
There are old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old, bold pilots. Learned that in Aviation classes from High School and never lost it. The biggest safety item is in between your ears. You can have all the safety equipment in the world but it doesn't make you safe if you yourself are not safe. I wear my gear and it's there for the unexpected. My self safe attitude is not influenced by the gear I wear. Go carefully my friends. Have fun but go carefully.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
One of my riding buddies, who has been riding all types of bikes for 40+ years, recently low sided in a patch of gravel. He was wearing a good helmet but little else that I would consider protective and he had some bad road rash, cuts, bruises, etc.. Fortunately no broken bones or other serious issues. He was lucky that it wasn't much worse but had he been wearing some protective clothing, he might not have had anything but some soreness. In an interesting twist, his wife was walking their dogs a few weeks later and stumbled in front of their house and broke her leg in 2 places!

I figure I can't eliminate the risk of riding but I can do my best to minimize the damage if I am in a bad situation so I wear the best practical gear that works for me.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
We've all heard the statement "There are 2 types of riders, those who have been down and those who will go down". Personally, I have been down on a bike and do my best to not get myself into those situations regardless of my safety equipment. I don't ride differently based on my ATGATT.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Daily ride, stuff to keep the weather out and high vis, beyond that normal work trousers, work ankle boots, shirt and fleece when its cold, thinner fleece when warm (need the pockets). The helmet front is up. 99% of the time. I do wear additional yellow eye protection, except for the this morning as the rain was so heavy everything covered in water and I couldn't see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input, for the most part
Drive safe
Where the gear that you feel most protected / comfortable in
Watch out for AH

All in line with the way I ride

·
Registered
662 Posts
I dress for the weather and to prevent sunburns. Always wear a helmet, just doesn't feel right to go without. When I commute in nice weather, I will shorts and a T-shirt. Accidents are inevitable, but I can't wear ATGATT.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Does all the added safety gear make you a less safe rider as in people get over confident because they have this gear on and do not pay as much attention?
Asked a different way:

If driver side airbags in automobiles were replaced with a 10 ga shotgun shells, would people drive more carefully?

:unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Sports Touring can be and is a pretty dangerous sport. On more than one occasion we have ridden with others that been hospitalized from accidents(s) or unfortunately have passed away. Protective gear has saved me more than once. As a Surgeon I am not going anywhere without it. Those that do not wear protective gear typically cannot afford it, are under the influence of drug(s) or, should spend allot of time praying. Track or Sports Touring=Protective Riding Gear. One should consider this "Gear" as part of the Sport. Best,

Doc😀😀

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sports Touring can be and is a pretty dangerous sport. On more than one occasion we have ridden with others that been hospitalized from accidents(s) or unfortunately have passed away. Protective gear has saved me more than once. As a Surgeon I am not going anywhere without it. Those that do not wear protective gear typically cannot afford it, are under the influence of drug(s) or, should spend allot of time praying. Track or Sports Touring=Protective Ridding Gear. One should consider this gear as part of the Sport. Best,

Doc

Praying on a moto is distracted riding......

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Having been down HARD twice in the last six years (due to no fault of my own), I don't ride around the block without being ATGATT. Both times I slid on my face and did the ragdoll tumble. Without a FULL-FACE helmet, I'd be dead. Without armored jacket and pants, I'd have had skin grafts from head to toe. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I can add that if I "had" dressed <10 years ago as I do today I'd have 6 less pieces of hardware in my legs...

Duane

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I don't think Bold is what kept him alive. Bold or just **** good? Brigadier General Charles E. (Chuck) Yeager director of Aerospace Safety 1973.
So you are saying that Chuck is not a bold pilot?

Interesting position... :unsure:

bold
/bōld/
adjective

1. (of a person, action, or idea) showing an ability to take risks; confident and courageous.
    "a bold attempt to solve the crisis"
    synonyms: daring, intrepid, courageous, brave, valiant, fearless, unafraid, undaunted, dauntless, valorous, audacious, adventurous, dashing, heroic, gallant, swashbuckling, adventuresome, daredevil, venturesome, plucky, unflinching, spirited, confident, positive, decisive, assured, enterprising, rash, reckless, brash, foolhardy, gutsy, spunky, ballsy, game, feisty, temerarious

1 - 20 of 33 Posts