BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
ATGATT for me, no question. I think it not only protects me pretty well from a slide, but it will at least help some with impact. Plus, wearing safety gear makes me more safety conscious.

I'm currently looking at upgrading my riding gear to either a Rukka Realer or Rukka Armarone jacket. I like it that the Armarone has D30 CE level 2 armor. The Realer has D30 CE level 1 standard, which can be upgraded to level 2; but that would add about $150 to the already more expensive Realer line.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't think my gear makes me over confident. It definitely makes me feel safer and confident enough to get out on the road. I have 2 little ones under 6. I can now afford to buy good safety gear, and more of it, than I could when I started riding. I also have a whole lot more responsibilities and am way too close to a military retirement to take unnecessary chances. I now really have faith in my gear, considering the limited damage I sustained in this summer's event. If it hadn't been for a freak injury, I'd be perfectly ok.

·
Registered
906 Posts
So you are saying that Chuck is not a bold pilot?

Interesting position... :unsure:

bold
/bōld/
adjective

1. (of a person, action, or idea) showing an ability to take risks; confident and courageous.
    "a bold attempt to solve the crisis"
    synonyms: daring, intrepid, courageous, brave, valiant, fearless, unafraid, undaunted, dauntless, valorous, audacious, adventurous, dashing, heroic, gallant, swashbuckling, adventuresome, daredevil, venturesome, plucky, unflinching, spirited, confident, positive, decisive, assured, enterprising, rash, reckless, brash, foolhardy, gutsy, spunky, ballsy, game, feisty, temerarious
I'm saying it's a saying and you're just being augmentative. OK you are absolutely right. We are done here.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I'm saying it's a saying and you're just being augmentative. OK you are absolutely right. We are done here.
I agree with you. It is a saying. One that I have heard ever since I was but a wee student pilot. Does not make it any more true now than it was then. Sayings should at least have a grain of truth to be effective.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm a some of the gear, some of the time, dependant on weather, mood, fashion requirements, colour coordination ability, etc. and I am acutely aware that my riding style is totally independent of what I am wearing. In both Military and civil police training we were taught to fall off, many times, at many speeds, off road and on. Trust me, I am quite good at falling off and do not see the need to even occasionally validate those skills. ;)
Please, I understand that this will raise the ire of a few who are likely to wax lyrical about how a jacket saved them, blah, blah, blah... but.... I ride to enjoy it. I ride looking as good as I can, I ride because it's the best outlet for stress I have (legally). If I want to be safe, I'll drive a Volvo!
I do complex risk assessments as part of my job, assessments that count the likelihood of severe injury or death, operational assessments where colleagues are placed in genuine life threatening situations. I rate these threats and mitigate as appropriate, everywhere from 'just iron your shirt' to black Nomex and body armour. Side arms / less than lethal only to.. well lets not reveal too many secrets...
Now, if I apply the same rules to riding to work, a day ride with the guys, a weekend away on the bikes, etc what are the risk likelihoods versus the consequences. Ok the consequences have potential but, and this is the main point, the likelihood is low, very, very low. In my language - the risk consequence can be MAJOR to SEVERE or CRITICAL but with the likelihood at RARE the overall assessment is at the low end of risk, one not requiring anything more that simple mitigation - a bit of ability, helmet and gloves, jeans or equestrian jodhpurs and something on my feet.
Ergo - rather than wrap myself head to toe in Kevlar and leather, I take the accepted risk - assessed as low and **** well enjoy myself on the ride.
Ok, should some idiot crash into me well, that's the risk I am prepared to accept. Conversely, I have been to enough fatals where even the best protective equipment was not enough.
So ATGATT if you have no appetite for risk, or you lack the skill to effectively control your machine or enjoy the freedom :)
You may fire at will.....

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
@Donna, in 2014 I had a whitetail deer squirt out from between the trees and hit me like a linebacker. She had a buck on her tail and was running full-tilt (they top out at 47 mph). I never had a chance. Now, the odds of me being in the path of that deer and her sweeping me off of my bike were infinitesimally small but it happened. This past July, I had a freaking HORSE run out in front of me. Again, what are the odds? Maybe I just have sh!t for luck but by being dressed for the worst, I'm still here and didn't have to have skin harvested from my @ss to patch other spots where it had been scraped off. All that said, I'm of the opinion that, as long as you're willing to take responsibility for your own actions, I don't care what you choose to wear or not wear. That doesn't mean I won't think you a fool.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
For me, I have no problems wearing full protective gear in the cooler months but in the summer when it is 85+ degrees, I really struggle with the heat. I still wear ATTGATT but I am looking for the ideal balance between protection and comfort. Being so hot that I lose focus on riding is not safe riding either. And I know a lot of riders that choose comfort over protection and when I am sweating my butt off I really envy them at times and wonder what the heck I am doing in my Michelin man riding gear.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Guys,
Look at your local motorcycle police - they dress for a whole day riding suitable to the weather. Often that is poly shirt sleeves only i.e. no jacket when its warm. Overheating or dehydrating in the heat is not fun....

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
There is a pragmatic
For me, I have no problems wearing full protective gear in the cooler months but in the summer when it is 85+ degrees, I really struggle with the heat. I still wear ATTGATT but I am looking for the ideal balance between protection and comfort. Being so hot that I lose focus on riding is not safe riding either. And I know a lot of riders that choose comfort over protection and when I am sweating my butt off I really envy them at times and wonder what the heck I am doing in my Michelin man riding gear.
Have you looked at Bohn Armor ? They make both shirts and under-shirts (and pants) that are armored. I switch to Bohn riding pants under mesh overpants, much cooler than wearing jeans. Not as cool as shorts and a grin but then not as dumb either.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Have you looked at Bohn Armor ? They make both shirts and under-shirts (and pants) that are armored. I switch to Bohn riding pants under mesh overpants, much cooler than wearing jeans. Not as cool as shorts and a grin but then not as dumb either.
Last summer I bought the Bohn mesh shirt and wore it with the Draggin kevlar mesh long sleeve shirt and a wicking under armour tee shirt. This combo was much better than wearing any of my mesh jackets.

I just purchased the Hit-Air vest, so I may be back to square one as I don't know what it is going to be like this summer. I may have to play around with the right combo of Bohn, kevlar shirt, etc. to get where it works. Leaving off the air vest on the really hot days is an option too.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Safety gear does NOT make me feel "safer" nor does it make me a more of an aggressive rider. Safety gear for me (as much as I hate wearing it) does give me a better feeling in the event that I have a "get-off" ! Ride safely my friends

21 - 33 of 33 Posts