BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its increasing difficult to find anywhere that will install tires not bought from the shop directly here in Vancouver Ca. best price I can get for buying a set here and having them installed (loose wheels) is almost $500 USD

Even with the exchange rate, tires are still cheaper in the US and with the above factor in mind its likely cheaper to buy them and have them fitted in the States. I was wondering where you Pacific North West guys have your tires changed and if they accept shipments from online tire retailers or if they will get close to online pricing.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have a friend in Mt Vernon wash. That does them for $40.00 bucks including balance. You can buy your tires on line and have them shipped directly to him and than when you’re ready just set up a time to do the deed. If you need more info PM me.

GT

·
Registered
177 Posts
I need to find someone like that. My local BMW dealer wants $150 (wheels off) or $200+ if I bring in the bike.

Bob

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I have the tire and wheel warranty with my bike - so I bite the bullet and take it to the dealer, they replaced two tires on my RT that were covered by that warranty

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a friend in Mt Vernon wash. That does them for $40.00 bucks including balance. You can buy your tires on line and have them shipped directly to him and than when you’re ready just set up a time to do the deed. If you need more info PM me.

GT

PM sent

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
I need to find someone like that. My local BMW dealer wants $150 (wheels off) or $200+ if I bring in the bike.

Bob
Ouch...that is horrible. I've paid around $60-75/wheel on the bike. I've not yet done a wheels off change.

Hopefully, those prices come with a hour massage.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I do my own. The cost for buying the tire changer pays for itself within two or three changes. With as many bikes as I've had over the years, it might be worth it for you to look into. https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Cycle_Hill_Tire_Changer_p/tc-ch100.htm

They've changed the color (mine is blue), but otherwise it's a great investment. I've probably changed close to 50 tires between my bike and friends bikes. And the plus is I'm not limited to buying what the dealer has, I can find my own tires. (Came in super handy with the GS Adventure. I was able to keep a set of knobbies around and street tires then swap them out as needed without needing a spare set of rims).

Wayne

·
Registered
281 Posts
Charlie, et al.
I have gotten mine done nearby for $65.00 for front and rear. Wheels off the bike with new tires in hand. If you want the name and telephone number of the place drop me a line.
TC

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
What Gordie said - he does excellent work and very convenient. I have info if needed as well.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Charlie

Blackfoot in Calgary advertises they match prices from the internet i.e. (FortNine and Pete's Superbike for pricing) and the install is reduced if the tires are purchased from them...............maybe you need to ride east for a tire change:)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Charlie

Blackfoot in Calgary advertises they match prices from the internet i.e. (FortNine and Pete's Superbike for pricing) and the install is reduced if the tires are purchased from them...............maybe you need to ride east for a tire change:)

You know what, that's actually a spectacular ride and a great opportunity.
I stopped in there a few years ago. It seemed like a great dealership.

I will keep this in mind for next time for sure, thank you

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
My dealership charges within $10 or so for what you could buy the tires for at the "usual" suspects, Revzilla, CycleGear, Amazon etc. Then it's just labor costs; either yours or theirs. I don't see the advantage of taking my time to take the wheels off my bike, put them in my car and take them to the dealership and then have to remount them on the bike when I get home. I'd rather just ride there, wait an hour and drink their coffee, eat their donuts and ride somewhere fun to scrub them in.

But that's just me . . . I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealership charges within $10 or so for what you could buy the tires for at the "usual" suspects, Revzilla, CycleGear, Amazon etc. Then it's just labor costs; either yours or theirs. I don't see the advantage of taking my time to take the wheels off my bike, put them in my car and take them to the dealership and then have to remount them on the bike when I get home. I'd rather just ride there, wait an hour and drink their coffee, eat their donuts and ride somewhere fun to scrub them in.

But that's just me . . . I've been wrong before.

Because MY dealer charges me just a small fee for the tire change if I take the wheels in (assuming I bought the tires through them) but charges me an extra $120 if I ride in. Now I have never taken the front off but the rear is a 10 minute job at most. Whilst I understand the perspective of your own time having value but for me its not THAT valuable, and whilst I am a complete amateur there is something very satisfying about wrenching your own bike.

And my dealership doesn't come close to internet pricing. I also understand the value of having a dealership close by so whenever I can I will work with them and we can normally reach a compromise where we are both satisfied with the deal but when it comes to tires we are just too far apart on whats reasonable.

Ride safe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts