BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum. I am actively searching for a K1600 GT, 2014, 15 or 16. This will by my first BMW. I previously owned a Honda F6B and Kawasaki Z900 RS Cafe'.

I live in South Louisiana.

Any help in locating a GT would be much appreciated.

Mike

·
Mr.Fix It
7,418 Posts
I'd try a nationwide Craigslist search on Google. A good friend of mine in GA asked me last week to help him find a good deal on a GTL. I immediately found a '16 GTL, never down, 27k miles, Corbin seat, one owner (67 years old) and few a other farkles, $13,000. He's picking it up north of Dallas next week.

in Google, search for "K1600GT". Select "Settings" and then "Advanced Search". Drop down to "site or domain" and type in "craigslist.org"

Duane

Reactions: J-Luv and JohnS1955

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just joined the forum. I am actively searching for a K1600 GT, 2014, 15 or 16. This will by my first BMW. I previously owned a Honda F6B and Kawasaki Z900 RS Cafe'.

I live in South Louisiana.

Any help in locating a GT would be much appreciated.

Mike
Mike - there have been several nice looking GTs and GTLs advertised on this forum in the past several weeks, you might want to do a search in the 'for sale' section.

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
You will find one thing about people who own 1600's - they ride them. Finding one with under 20K miles won't be easy. Don't be intimidated by the miles people put on these bikes. This bike begs to be ridden - a lot. As long as they keep up with maintenance and care you should feed comfortable.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Don't be scared to do a fly and ride either, I've done several. Limiting yourself to 500 miles is crippling your search.

Reactions: V-ride

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will find one thing about people who own 1600's - they ride them. Finding one with under 20K miles won't be easy. Don't be intimidated by the miles people put on these bikes. This bike begs to be ridden - a lot. As long as they keep up with maintenance and care you should feed comfortable.
It's reassuring to hear that. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't be scared to do a fly and ride either, I've done several. Limiting yourself to 500 miles is crippling your search.
Agreed. I flew to Houston, bought my Z900 RS Cafe and rode it home the same day.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Don’t be afraid to look at BMW dealerships for your used bike as well. That’s where I bought my used K 1600 GT. Dealers might be a little more anxious to sell at this time of year, also. +1 on the fly and ride

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've got a really nice 13 GT with 11K miles on it listed. Still under extended warranty. Beyond your 500 mile range up here in Chicagoland. Won't find one any cleaner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don’t be afraid to look at BMW dealerships for your used bike as well. That’s where I bought my used K 1600 GT. Dealers might be a little more anxious to sell at this time of year, also. +1 on the fly and ride
Agreed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got a really nice 13 GT with 11K miles on it listed. Still under extended warranty. Beyond your 500 mile range up here in Chicagoland. Won't find one any cleaner.
I'll bet it's nice. Want to wait for a 16. Thanks for reaching out!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try www.searchtempest.com

It searches all of Craigslist.

It is how I found mine. I flew to Paine Field and drove it back to South Dakota.

You want a 14 or 15 which both have the Getrag transmission. If I am not mistaken they went to the Japanese gearbox in 16 and instantly had problems with it.

And don't be put off, I found a fair number of under 30K miles GTL's. The pickings may be a bit slim in the middle of winter but they will pick up as spring approaches.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Dallas/Fort Worth has always had a couple to look at in their dealerships. It would be close enough for you to take a weekend trip to look at a few on a Saturday. Be prepared for the normal salesman garb and dealership craziness though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dallas/Fort Worth has always had a couple to look at in their dealerships. It would be close enough for you to take a weekend trip to look at a few on a Saturday. Be prepared for the normal salesman garb and dealership craziness though.
Good idea.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts