BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for someone who has a black 2018 or 19 GT that would prefer a blue and black one. I don't want to trade bikes just body panels. I bought my 2018 Sport with the blue and black because of the condition it was in and the accessories it came with for the price. The color combo is growing on me but I know I would like it better if it was all black.I bought the bike from the dealer in Plano Tx. with 6500 miles on it. I rode it home non stop and pretty much parked it. So now the paint may have 7750 miles on it. Just before I left for Florida on my 2015 RT I had all the forward facing surfaces,top of the tank and bag covers professionally covered with clear vinyl wrap. The paint work is in excellent condition. Please contact me if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Have you thought of wrapping the entire bike in whatever color you want? I'm pretty certain you won't find any willing parties to do what you are looking for. I was wrong once however....

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard the wrap will fade with time and sun. But if i do find someone willing to trade I will have the black paint clear wrapped. I painted my 2015 RT black but no wrap. And now the paint is showing it;s age

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Theres a couple wrap threads on the forum here.

One thing about wrap, if years down the road it looks bad, theres fresh new looking paint under it. Plus.. you could wrap in a carbon fiber look if you want.. or just black, maybe even 3 different shades of black.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Theres a couple wrap threads on the forum here.

One thing about wrap, if years down the road it looks bad, theres fresh new looking paint under it. Plus.. you could wrap in a carbon fiber look if you want.. or just black, maybe even 3 different shades of black.
Any pictures of a carbon wrap? That sounds interesting...

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
Know a guy who sprayed his R12 with Rhino Liner. Looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Any pictures of a carbon wrap? That sounds interesting...
don't know about pics of K1600s with the carbon wrap, but you've got me wondering if all those aftermarket interior (and exterior) car parts claiming to be carbon fiber are really just "wrapped". :rolleyes:

Jeff

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
don't know about pics of K1600s with the carbon wrap, but you've got me wondering if all those aftermarket interior (and exterior) car parts claiming to be carbon fiber are really just "wrapped". :rolleyes:

Jeff
Real carbon fiber is pretty pricey, manufacturers can paint plastic to look like carbon fiber at 1/100th the price. Most of the panels you see aren't real carbon fiber unless you are looking at very high end stuff, ie ferrari, lambo, etc

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Real carbon fiber is pretty pricey, manufacturers can paint plastic to look like carbon fiber at 1/100th the price. Most of the panels you see aren't real carbon fiber unless you are looking at very high end stuff, ie ferrari, lambo, etc
You can also hydro dip a carbon fiber look to anything.

Speaking of carbon fiber and expensive, it might surprise you. I had a little "incident" with my XR in September thats caused about 2300 dollars worth of labor and new parts to be purchased. The stock plastic OEM front fender for the XR is 258 bucks.

I found a website called www.motocomposites.com that has a bunch of farkle fiber for XR's. They have two different options for the front fender. A carbon fiber one for 259 or a "carbon with fiber" one for 170ish. Whats the difference right? I called them and they told me they are pretty much the same except the carbon fiber one is lighter. I purchased a "carbon with fiber" one for 192 bucks shipped and its freakin beautiful! I have yet to install it as I'm waiting for the rest of the new parts to arrive. Installing the front fender is going to be my finishing touch.

It just shocked me that the OEM fender was the same price as a carbon fiber one.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You can also hydro dip a carbon fiber look to anything.

Speaking of carbon fiber and expensive, it might surprise you. I had a little "incident" with my XR in September thats caused about 2300 dollars worth of labor and new parts to be purchased. The stock plastic OEM front fender for the XR is 258 bucks.

I found a website called www.motocomposites.com that has a bunch of farkle fiber for XR's. They have two different options for the front fender. A carbon fiber one for 259 or a "carbon with fiber" one for 170ish. Whats the difference right? I called them and they told me they are pretty much the same except the carbon fiber one is lighter. I purchased a "carbon with fiber" one for 192 bucks shipped and its freakin beautiful! I have yet to install it as I'm waiting for the rest of the new parts to arrive. Installing the front fender is going to be my finishing touch.

It just shocked me that the OEM fender was the same price as a carbon fiber one.
I'm shocked as well, I wouldn't have expected a price that low for actual carbon fiber. real carbon fiber is crazy light weight though, that's for sure

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I'm shocked as well, I wouldn't have expected a price that low for actual carbon fiber. real carbon fiber is crazy light weight though, that's for sure
My "carbon with fiber" one weighs 8.7oz. I dont know how much lighter you can make it.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts