Preema
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, what have I broken here?
Can I fix it with a hammer?

·
Q
5,247 Posts
Looks like its been cut off with an angle grinder. Broken metal/plastic dont look like that.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
It appears to be the plastic lower engine guard. I'm not sure a fix is necessary. Lay that hammer down and back away.

Reactions: PLAGUE

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Lucky you...OEM replacement is only $39.95...:)...

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
It appears to be the plastic lower engine guard. I'm not sure a fix is necessary. Lay that hammer down and back away.
Yes!! Called an official "CRASH PAD, RIGHT". On a GT part # 11 14 8 527 628...Could be the exact same on the B, ascycles.com, double check.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
That piece is suppose to be a right lower engine protection slider type piece of plastic. I took them off my B because it made me think I was missing something due to the do nothing hole that used to be on yours. If you pay the shipping I'll send it free.

Attachments

·
Preema
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes!! Called an official "CRASH PAD, RIGHT". On a GT part # 11 14 8 527 628...Could be the exact same on the B, ascycles.com, double check.
Looks like they've put the GT part on but cut off the top bit with the bolt hole... As @Darbinco says, it looks like it was cut off with an angle grinder

·
Preema
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That piece is suppose to be a right lower engine protection slider type piece of plastic. I took them off my B because it made me think I was missing something due to the do nothing hole that used to be on yours. If you pay the shipping I'll send it free.
Thanks for the offer, its appreciated, but...
What is the use of them? I'd have to have ground the entire pannier away and more before they'd touch tarmac!

I reckon the dealer just cut the 'do nothing' hole of the top and left it like that...

·
Preema
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The plot thickens.... That is, apparently the GT part and the ‘do nothing’ hole is for the little storage bit the B doesn’t have.
The correct part is as below but they use the GT part with the top cut off when the B part is not available

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
@Donna, are you telling us that this part came from BMW this way!?! If so, what a [email protected] way to go about utilizing a pre-existing part!

·
Preema
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Donna, are you telling us that this part came from BMW this way!?! If so, what a [email protected] way to go about utilizing a pre-existing part!
Yup, and I only just noticed it... Pretty poor effort. Some of the Facebook hive brain suggest that it should have been removed and the bolts re-torqued. Guess it's a trip to the dealers. :confused:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Yup, and I only just noticed it... Pretty poor effort. Some of the Facebook hive brain suggest that it should have been removed and the bolts re-torqued. Guess it's a trip to the dealers. :confused:
WOW! That's kind of hard to believe! I can see cutting the part down but not with such a rough finish. Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Piqued my curiosity ........ My B has the lower storage compartments from the factory (no floorboards) and it has that plastic piece and the "do nothing" hole "do nothing" on mine too.

Can't envision any reason why it would have been cut off like that on your bike.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
The plot thickens.... That is, apparently the GT part and the ‘do nothing’ hole is for the little storage bit the B doesn’t have.
The correct part is as below but they use the GT part with the top cut off when the B part is not available View attachment 144286
IMG_4205.jpg

2018 GT with part attached to storage. Fyi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,343 Posts
WOW! That's kind of hard to believe! I can see cutting the part down but not with such a rough finish. Let us know what you find out.
Yep. Concur. That’s a VERY un-German way of doing things. If someone in the factory made an “executive decision,” he could very well be in a bit of trouble. We buy BMW products for meticulousness and perfectionism. Will it work just fine like that? Sure. But it looks half-arsed. Just can’t believe they’d ever let a bike leave home like that.

@Donna, are you sure you didn’t recently break up with an angle-grinder salesman? If you did, he’s the one to use the hammer on.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
That picture tells me someone cut it partially and the end looks broken due to the coarse material at the end.

Reactions: PLAGUE

·
Bubonic
995 Posts
looks like you finally leaned enough to one side to actually grind something down, I know you have been working toward this goal for years - well done Donna

Reactions: Rick92040
1 - 20 of 26 Posts