BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since I posted to this forum. The question I have is what is recommended as a communication system that works with the wonder wheel and bluetooth system of the K1600? When I got my pre ordered K1600GTL the system was Schuberth C3 with the BMW communicators. Which I bought after a year of owning my K1600GTL (over $2500!)
I still have my 2012 K1600GTL and time to replace my helmet. I tried using my other helmet with a Cardo system (Set up for my S100XR) and paired it up with K1600GTL. It worked, but not great. Could not control the volume from the wonder wheel and had some drop outs with the intercom system with my wife who has the BMW communicator. I see there was a new BMW coms. system, but it uses the same part number board. I would prefer a Shoei helmet and now they have a Sena system built in. But I would also have to replace the wifes system also.

So what is the dealer selling now?

Still have number 600 pre ordered K1600GTL. Runs great just some minor issues that were covered under the long gone warranty.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The communicator is only stuck to the outside with doublesided tape. whilst it does not have the fidelity of some, it does enough in my book

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
I'm very happy with the Shoei Neotec II and the integrated Sena unit. It's the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned and the Sena works well. The new GT-Air also has the ability to integrate the Sena. It doesn't have the wonder wheel volume control but to be honest I just don't see the need. I don't adjust the volume often but I can do it without thinking about it. The most important thing with any helmet is. Does it fit your head? Any communicator can be adapted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was told by my BMW dealer that the BMW helmets are the only ones that can be volume-controlled with the wonder wheel. Not sure how true that is, but I've heard nothing but great raves about the Sena systems. I'm sure there is a way to connect the proper channels to make it work.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I also went all in on the BMW communicators for my wife and I. If I was going to start fresh I would buy the Cardo Pactalk bold and avoid hooking it into the bike entirely.

My last big trip I borrowed one from my riding buddy and it all worked very well. I am actually waiting for a really good sale on the Pactalk bold to do just this. (I think my wife will really enjoy being able to play all of her music from her phone while I listen to mine...) and the importance to have ability to talk to other riders can not be overstated..

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Though there has been talk that BMW is working with Sena to offer a Bluetooth headset to work off the Wonder Wheel I am not holding my breath for it. EDIT: It appears mid to late 2019 they did come out with the BMW Fit for All. It does have some noticeable limitations. From BMW's description:

The BMW Motorrad Fit-for-All communication system can be integrated into nearly any helmet. It can also be combined with the Bike-to-Bike communication module (coming soon), which enables group communication with other motorcycles.

Here is the link https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/p/BMW__/78941742/76512463757.html.

At this point I'd buy the helmet and Bluetooth headsets that you like best. If you don't mind giving up volume control from the Wonder Wheel you can still use the bikes Bluetooth system for functions other than volume control.

Many have just avoided the bikes Bluetooth audio system as they not only feel it offers little value, many feel it is so inferior that they are better off pairing their music/phone direct to their Bluetooth headset without involving the bike at all. They go direct from the phone and/or GPS to helmet Bluetooth and do not involve the K1600 audio system at all.

I still find the bike audio not only sufficient but convenient. I prefer using the Wonder Wheel to skip songs the few times I listen to music and do like being able to make adjust volume at the Wonder Wheel more than my Bluetooth headset.

To retain Wonder Wheel volume control I have:

Used this thread to learn I need these BMW part numbers to tie into the audio outputs without needing to cut and solder wires or use posi-taps: REPAIR PLUG, 8-POLE / 3-POLE
Part Number: 83300413580
No. 611651

and

REPAIR PLUG, 8-PIN
Part Number: 83300413581
No. 611652.

I then tie in a Motochello Speaker Bridge to take the audio from the bikes Alpine unit via the part numbers above and then send the audio from the Motochello speaker bridge. From the Motochello speaker bridge to a Sena SM10 Bluetooth transmitter. From the Sean SM10 Bluetooth transmitter to my Cardo Packtalk headset.

If that is of interest you can piece together a few threads.

One is here where we learned about the BMW repair plugs noted above which allowed us to tie into the Alpine unit without splicing the wires and used a less expensive route to get the Bluetooth from the Alpine to the Bluetooth headset than the Motochello speaker bridge and Sena SM10 route I took. https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-bluetooth-audio/168770-%2448-great-sounding-bluetooth-volume-adjustment-wheel-1year-sirius-xm-%2460.html

Here is a good thread for the Sena SM10: https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-accessories/5223-sena-sm10-=-dual-streaming-bt-nirvana.html.

Here is a good thread for the Motochello speaker bridge and Sena SM10: https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-bluetooth-audio/145938-bluetooth-upgrade-video-part-1-2-a.html.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I also went all in on the BMW communicators for my wife and I. If I was going to start fresh I would buy the Cardo Pactalk bold and avoid hooking it into the bike entirely.

My last big trip I borrowed one from my riding buddy and it all worked very well. I am actually waiting for a really good sale on the Pactalk bold to do just this. (I think my wife will really enjoy being able to play all of her music from her phone while I listen to mine...) and the importance to have ability to talk to other riders can not be overstated..
When riding with friends it cannot be overstated the importance of the wives being able to hold their own private conversation (bike to bike). On our last trip there were entire days of mostly talk among the pilots :k16: while the wives talked about... wifey things.. :wink::clap::clap:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I was told by my BMW dealer that the BMW helmets are the only ones that can be volume-controlled with the wonder wheel. Not sure how true that is, but I've heard nothing but great raves about the Sena systems. I'm sure there is a way to connect the proper channels to make it work.

When I transfered the communicator to the Schuberth C3 Pro, it fitted on the curve, biggest pain is the mike holder which doesn't fit as well

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
When riding with friends it cannot be overstated the importance of the wives being able to hold their own private conversation (bike to bike). On our last trip there were entire days of mostly talk among the pilots :k16: while the wives talked about... wifey things.. :wink::clap::clap:
Yes, I love that. The conversation begins to sound like Charlie Brown's classroom. "Wha-wha-who-wha-who". This is when I tend to focus on my technique, and allow everyone else to converse.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I currently own a Schuberth C4 and been happy with the system apart from the fact most of it is supplied by Sena and difficult to do updates as they don't always connect to my Comp. So today I got the shits big time lol ended up ordering a new Shoei NXR and a new Packtalk Bold for it. I usually prefer a Modular helmet over the Fullfaced version but as most of the Shoei Modulars with the coms are still based on a Sena Units I went down this track. To be quite honest they both are good systems and both have good and bad points. I know the Packtalk mostly relies on the Mesh system than the Blue Tooth system but I don't use the coms in a large group so this should work for me I hope along with the JBL speakers that seem to be getting raving reports.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
My wife and I have had a set of the 20S for several years now. I want to upgrade to one of the new mesh communications systems, either Cardo or Sena, but the one major drawback I'm finding is the limited number of standard Bluetooth connections when using the mesh network. I know with the Cardo and suspect with the Sena that I would not be able to have 3 Bluetooth connections while also communicating via the mesh network. Those connections would be the Nav 6, my phone, and any non mesh capable headset. I seem to remember with the Cardo you are limited to only one standard Bluetooth connection when using mesh, so that's an absolute no-go for me. I'm hoping a firmware update or even the next evolution of communicators will rectify this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
I haven't actually checked but with Cardo Packtalk having voice commands I wonder if you can control the volume via voice too. Then one wouldn't need the wonder-wheel.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I haven't actually checked but with Cardo Packtalk having voice commands I wonder if you can control the volume via voice too. Then one wouldn't need the wonder-wheel.
Like many on this forum after many years of frustration with trying to live with the very poor quality of the BMW Comm. System, I recently switched to the Cardo Freecom 4 Plus in mid 2019. Again, like many, I completely bypassed the BMW system. My initial hesitation was deciding if I wanted to live without the Wonder-Wheel (there are work arounds) with using just the Cardo, the NAV 6 and my phone as a music source. The voice commands on the Cardo systems work very well, YES, you can control volume via voice commands. I do it every time now I ride. I am 100% satisfied/happy I changed to the Cardo option, completely eliminating the bikes less than par system. Many threads on this, but I believe if you dump the BMW system, you will never look back. The sound quality on the Cardo system (I have the 45MM speakers) is quite good, even at speed (the system adjusts volume up when it senses more wind noise). That feature works quite well too. Use the search portion of the forum on any Cardo info you see in 2019. This will give you lots of more current info.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I found this comparison between the Cardo Packtalk Bold and Sena 20S informative but Sena has announced their 50S model recently but I don't know if it has been available for testing yet so there are no comparative reviews. I'm planning on going with a Cardo Packtalk. Their app has had very good reviews.
https://motoclever.com/cardo-vs-sena-buyers-guide

·
Registered
105 Posts

I recently changed from a Sena U10 in my Neotec to the Cardo Pactalk bold slim and I love it. The sound quality is much better IMO and you can control the volume by voice control, you can control everything by voice, i.e. skip songs, change to intercom, answer calls and use Siri. All in all its been a great change for me

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I found this comparison between the Cardo Packtalk Bold and Sena 20S informative but Sena has announced their 50S model recently but I don't know if it has been available for testing yet so there are no comparative reviews. I'm planning on going with a Cardo Packtalk. Their app has had very good reviews.
https://motoclever.com/cardo-vs-sena-buyers-guide
As several have mentioned the voice controls work well with the Cardo pactalk. When I used the unit previously I didn't bother pairing to the bike, and if I do, I plan on using my already installed line out to an auxiliary blue tooth transceiver .

If you trip across a good sale please let me know!

·
Registered
174 Posts
oth transceiver . Up 2 It;2468802 said:
If you trip across a good sale please let me know!
Surprisingly, here in the US, on any given day Amazon seems to have the best prices for the Cardo Packtalk Bold Duo JBL. Often for under $400. EBay has excellent deals too from time to time. I don't know if the Cardo site itself has sales often but BMW MOA Members get 25% off there. Even with that discount better deals can be found elsewhere if you search hard enough.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Surprisingly, here in the US, on any given day Amazon seems to have the best prices for the Cardo Packtalk Bold Duo JBL. Often for under $400. EBay has excellent deals too from time to time. I don't know if the Cardo site itself has sales often but BMW MOA Members get 25% off there but even with that better deals can be found elsewhere.
Thanks, I have been hesitant to buy from Amazon as I was not sure that they were an authorized reseller, and there has been a few versions, at different pricing. My buddy purchased his directly from Cardo at an ok discount when they had a sale, but I will look at Amazon again...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks, I have been hesitant to buy from Amazon as I was not sure that they were an authorized reseller, and there has been a few versions, at different pricing. My buddy purchased his directly from Cardo at an ok discount when they had a sale, but I will look at Amazon again...
I'm not sure why an authorized reseller is important but keep in mind that other vendors actually sell through Amazon.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts