BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2016 GTL
71 Posts
I've always hated the 1 inch diameter grips that are standard on these bikes, so................... I purchased some o-rings 1 1/16 inside diameter and 3/16 wide and came up with this ..................... Now the grips are 1 1/2 inch diameter and much more comfortable. I bought a package of 50 from Grainger.com for about $15, you'll need to use 44 of them.

I've always hated the 1 inch diameter grips that are standard on these bikes, so................... I purchased some o-rings 1 1/16 inside diameter and 3/16 wide and came up with this ..................... Now the grips are 1 1/2 inch diameter and much more comfortable. I bought a package of 50 from Grainger.com for about $15, you'll need to use 44 of them.
That is a nice looking solution. How does heat transfer from the grips?

·
Premium Member
749 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The first mod on each BMW bike I've owned. Having large mitts on a small diameter grip makes me get cramps. Either one works great.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I use the puppy with grips as well but at times I wish I got more heat through them on the cold cold days. Its enough but my old man hands would like more at times. Its just me.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Beemer Buddies for me. I met the owner at the rally in Lebanon. I really liked him. I explained to him that I thought I was going to have to sell my new Kawasaki Concours years before because I couldn't stop the pain in my arms from riding. He was really happy that his grips could help me sort out my bike. We talked for a long time about a variety of topics.

I'll continue to buy from a great small businessman.

SMARTSKIN™ Original Beemer Buddies

·
Boom
702 Posts
I think the majority of the foam slipover grips out there are pretty much the same thing...may even be coming off the same overseas assembly line. I found the standard BMW grips to be rather narrow in diameter and in length. I ended up going with:
Grab On Grip Cover - Fits From 1.25in. to 1.45in. OD - 4.25in.L
I saw a bunch of suggestions for getting these various types of slip-on foam grip covers over the stock handlebar grips and I decided to try the Windex for lubrication. Went on fairly easily with the Windex and there was no residue left anywhere shortly after slipping them on. I liked the thicker diameter and find it relaxes my larger sized hands on the long IBA rides. I was careful not to slide them on too far...have had no issues with the grips impeding the throttle from failing to adhere to that piece of caution. I do still wish the handlebar grips on the K1600 were closer to my former Goldwing handlebar grips in lengths...still find myself inadvertently bumping the wonderwheel :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Beemer buddies on all my rides (dn to 3 now) let’s heat transfer better than the cheap foam ones IMO

On the K16 they get to hot on anything above 3 (out of 5) on my GSW not so hot but I still can’t run them on high for more than 5-10 minutes before I have to turn them down!
Helps greatly for my arthritic big ass old hands 🤨 well worth the $24 FM ! I wouldn’t go with anything else. The usual no’s
Your mileage may vary !

21 - 28 of 28 Posts