BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Have the BMW V! almost new just received from Garmin as original began ghosting. So, forum members convinced me to order a Garmin XT.

But I want to install between handlebars on my GT and GTL in Ram Ball center mount, but most importantly I want a very secure mounting bracket so it can't fall out on a harsh bump in the road, but still easy to remove to go inside to eat somewhere and not have visibility of my bike.

Interested in all suggestions and recommendations or and pics of what you have that let's you sleep at night. Thsi way I will have two Garmin GPS mounted in case one fails when I need it most. Its only a matter of time before the V! gives out even though it is only a couple months old. So far so good, but you know how it is with electronics.

Ninja

·
Premium Member
8,349 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
If this looks interesting to you holler back and I can send you links to all the components (Quad Lock)
Or this company 1" Ball Adapter Their products look very interesting buy I'm waiting for one of the forum members to purchase and give it a try. Click on the side arrows for more information and a video.

A review video. Fast forward to minute 14.

Automotive tire Light Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
If this looks interesting to you holler back and I can send you links to all the components (Quad Lock)
Or this company 1" Ball Adapter Their products look very interesting buy I'm waiting for one of the forum members to purchase and give it a try.
Jim, I placed my Peak Design mount and case order earlier this week. In all the reviews I can find, their dampening mount seems like the real deal. As I mentioned to you, I've done business with the company before and the quality of their products is very good. I'll share my thoughts after I get it all put together.

·
Premium Member
2018 K1600GT Opt 719 Blue Planet Metallic
3,649 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10340 mi
I had a Toura-tech holder for my Garmin Montana on my FJR. It was lockable and a nice piece of kit. I don’t know if they’re still around. Seems like they might have gone through some restructuring a couple years ago. They made a lot of stuff for the Adv rider community. Just thought I’d throw it out there.
Edit: I had to search and see. Here ya go. Not inexpensive but not cheap either. The wunderlich handlebar bolt might be a ram ball mount location. Or @Arizona Jim ’s stem ball perhaps.
Touratech Locking GPS Mount for Garmin Zumo XT

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or this company 1" Ball Adapter Their products look very interesting buy I'm waiting for one of the forum members to purchase and give it a try. Click on the side arrows for more information and a video.

A review video. Fast forward to minute 14.

View attachment 172512

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
But I want to install between handlebars on my GT and GTL in Ram Ball center mount, but most importantly I want a very secure mounting bracket so it can't fall out on a harsh bump in the road, but still easy to remove to go inside to eat somewhere and not have visibility of my bike.
If your concern is reliability of the mounting in terms of inadvertent loss of the GPS through a shock load rather than theft, then the standard Zumo XT quick release mount is all you need when paired with the included Ram ball mount or something like this:

which is available from here.

·
Registered
2012 K1600 GTL - 2013 R1200 GS
144 Posts
I have tried mounts from Quadlock, Rockform and Tackform. I've also researched the Peak Design system, however I wanted to use Peak Design for my phone, and was locked into using their case which is quite flimsy. Tackform is by far the strongest and lowest profile options and all metal construction.
I mounted the Zumo XT in the dash on my K1600, however I'm still dealing with mounting for my phone and radar detector.
I'm mounting an additional Zumo on my R1200GS using Tackform for the connection to the handlebars, and Touratech for a locking cradle. I will post pictures of both my bikes when the installs are completed.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
I have tried mounts from Quadlock, Rockform and Tackform. I've also researched the Peak Design system, however I wanted to use Peak Design for my phone, and was locked into using their case which is quite flimsy. Tackform is by far the strongest and lowest profile options and all metal construction.
I mounted the Zumo XT in the dash on my K1600, however I'm still dealing with mounting for my phone and radar detector.
I'm mounting an additional Zumo on my R1200GS using Tackform for the connection to the handlebars, and Touratech for a locking cradle. I will post pictures of both my bikes when the installs are completed.
I looked into the Tackform and was impressed with it's minimalist design. What concerned me was vibration dampening. While they say their mount handles vibration, I didn't see anything where the phone is actually inserted/mounted that offers the type of dampening HW that protects the phone camera from high-amplitude vibrations. Maybe there is and I missed it. But I'm surprised that Tackform doesn't explain their system in the detail that Quad Lock and Peak Design do. Nor could I find, like Peak Design does, a commitment to work with you on resolution if you can show the mount damages the camera.

Again, I'm working with limited information and would like any input you can provide.

·
Premium Member
8,349 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
I have a Tackform clamp and it doesn't have any vibration dampening systems incorporated in it. I've been working with James on the phone with his questions. He's a handy guy and will make up a system that meets his requirements, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
I have a Tackform clamp and it doesn't have any vibration dampening systems incorporated in it. I've been working with James on the phone with his questions. He's a handy guy and will make up a system that meets his requirements, I'm sure.
Jim, thanks for the additional information. I found a Tackform review that verifies what you said. We all have different requirements, so what's most important will vary by rider. I'm staring at my new $1,200 iPhone 14 (still in the box) and cringe at the thought of the camera being trashed from high-amplitude vibrations. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it's my #1 consideration.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I looked into the Tackform and was impressed with it's minimalist design. What concerned me was vibration dampening. While they say their mount handles vibration, I didn't see anything where the phone is actually inserted/mounted that offers the type of dampening HW that protects the phone camera from high-amplitude vibrations. Maybe there is and I missed it. But I'm surprised that Tackform doesn't explain their system in the detail that Quad Lock and Peak Design do. Nor could I find, like Peak Design does, a commitment to work with you on resolution if you can show the mount damages the camera.

Again, I'm working with limited information and would like any input you can provide.
I've spoken with Nick the owner of Tackform on multiple occasions. He has most of the competitions items in the shop, and he helped educate me on the differences and what would be best for my application. I've been using the original Tackform phone mount with no vibration dampening on my K1600 for over two years, and have had no issues with my iphone whatsoever. I have a Rockform case on my iphone which is very thick and protective, andI feel that assists with reducing vibrations with Tackform's mount. The only thing that turned me away from Peak Design is the crappy case that has very minimal protection when the phone is used of the bike.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
I've spoken with Nick the owner of Tackform on multiple occasions. He has most of the competitions items in the shop, and he helped educate me on the differences and what would be best for my application. I've been using the original Tackform phone mount with no vibration dampening on my K1600 for over two years, and have had no issues with my iphone whatsoever. I have a Rockform case on my iphone which is very thick and protective, andI feel that assists with reducing vibrations with Tackform's mount. The only thing that turned me away from Peak Design is the crappy case that has very minimal protection when the phone is used of the bike.
Thanks for the additional information. I get where you're coming from. It makes sense.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok Have the BMW V! almost new just received from Garmin as original began ghosting. So, forum members convinced me to order a Garmin XT.

Interested in all suggestions and recommendations or and pics of what you have that let's you sleep at night. Thsi way I will have two Garmin GPS mounted in case one fails when I need it most. Its only a matter of time before the V! gives out even though it is only a couple months old. So far so good, but you know how it is with electronics.

Ninja
I'm not a fan of mounting a ball mount on the BMW cap. I don't think it's secure (it pops off). I purchased a post extension from Wunderlich for about $30 and have a Rokform mount for my phone. It's secure. Has more adjustments than Quadlock.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the additional information. I get where you're coming from. It makes sense.
Here is the Tackform cradle with vibration protection cradle they have a bolt with a 20mm ball that you can replace one of the handlebar bolts with, I use this with an arm to mount my radar detector. Here is a link to the 20mm accessories. Nick shared with me they are adding new items so fast, that's why some are not listed on the website yet.

·
Scammer Hammer
4,391 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I'm not a fan of mounting a ball mount on the BMW cap. I don't think it's secure (it pops off). I purchased a post extension from Wunderlich for about $30 and have a Rokform mount for my phone. It's secure. Has more adjustments than Quadlock.
The centre mounted ball mount replaces the plastic BMW cap with a very secure threaded bolt.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I have the vibration dampening option on my QuadLock setup. It allows the phone to wiggle a little bit. But I wonder if it wiggles more with the damper than without it. These bikes are so smooth, I wonder if it's really necessary. Makes more sense on a GS off the highway, or an XR at idle. 🤣

Anyway, I'm not going to remove it because the position is dialed in at this point.

·
Premium Member
2022 K1600 GT
77 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I bought the RAM ball that replaces the BMW emblem on top of the triple clamp, from ArizonaJim here. This is my setup, it's very sturdy. I took these pictures before I finished the electrical connection, it's all done now.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

1 - 20 of 21 Posts