BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the Garmin made BMW gps that has ghosting problems that Garmin can’t fix
So what model has no issues is easy to program while riding has best volume screen doesn’t glare out with direct sunlight and is waterproof if caught in the rain while riding?
Would want to mount it between the handlebars on GTL and GT for easy viewing.

Ninja

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I don’t know the answer, but reality is that there are VERY few motorcycle friendly GPS’ made. Based on all that I have read, I’d bet on the Zumo XT winning the popular vote!

I have an older LM595 on one bike and 395 on another. They have their quirks that in my experience are mostly because of a lack of good instructions on how certain features work. I generally only use them once a year so every year becomes a new learning (okay, remembering) experience.

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Registered
22 GA
301 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
… and as it happens Garmin is selling the Zumo XT at a 20% Black Friday discount as of this very morning. I’ve got one in my shopping cart ready to pull the trigger. But that sucker will go unused for the next five months.

·
Premium Member
8,349 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
I know several riders that like their Zumo XT. There is an Italian company that makes an adapter that works with the XT and the stock GPS cradle on the K1600.

·
Premium Member
2019 K1600 GT Sport
630 Posts
With very little effort you can fit the XT into the space the Nav VI comes out of as well.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
The Garmin Zumo XT is the popular choice today. This is obviously on a bagger, but you have good mounting options with the forged bars as well.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Gadget Audio equipment

·
Registered
2012 K1600GT
2,318 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
3,984 and counting
I like my Zumo XT which happens to be on sale on Garmin website for $399.

Joe

·
Mr.Fix It
9,691 Posts
+1 Garmin Zumo XT and E-K6XT Mount

WRT to the mount I have the one that with a lock/key. I would NOT recommend this one; it's too hard to insert/use the key; I'd go with the "regular" mount.

Duane

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
Apple Maps displayed via Apple CarPlay. (Or just on a cradle mounted iPhone and jabbering in my ear if we must)
I'm confused. Unless I'm mistaken, you don't have Car Play. And if you use your iPhone for anything other than A to B (Google Maps), you're going to need a phone navigation App to make it happen. That App might be inRoute, MRA, or a host of other options available. So I guess I'm asking what end-to-end solution do you envision?

·
Registered
22 GA
301 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I'm confused. Unless I'm mistaken, you don't have Car Play. And if you use your iPhone for anything other than A to B (Google Maps), you're going to need a phone navigation App to make it happen. That App might be inRoute, MRA, or a host of other options available. So I guess I'm asking what end-to-end solution do you envision?
The end to end solution is Apple Maps. Full stop.
If you own an iPhone/iPad and/or Mac and you are unfamiliar with this application then you owe it to yourself to investigate.

I have used an older Zumo-Basecamp with my GS. I have used MRA with this K bike. Now that Apple Maps supports complex routes those other options are very distant second place alternatives. Small exception for the weatherproofing of the Zumo over iPhone. That’s not a sufficient exception though in my world.

So I am going to take the USD$399 that Garmin is tryingto coax out of me today and apply it to a shiny new iPhone 14 that will replace the iPhone 11 on which I am composing this missive. This iPhone 11 will now become a permanent part of my GA. I’ll just fight through without CarPlay and continue to harbor great malice toward the Motorrad SW Dev religious zealot who has such disdain for closed software systems (Apple, Garmin).

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I use the Garmin Zumo XT with MRA Routeplanner, Log in – MyRoute-app: The #1 all-in-one route tool

Both the Routeplanner and the Garmin have phone apps which can be used to easily transfer the route to the Garmin. Or plug the Garmin into your computer and transfer it that way. Both ways are very easy to transfer the route without having to do keyboard gymnastics.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
The end to end solution is Apple Maps. Full stop.
If you own an iPhone/iPad and/or Mac and you are unfamiliar with this application then you owe it to yourself to investigate.
I'm familiar with Apple Maps in that if I ask Siri for routing directions to a direct point "B", my iPhone uses Apple Maps in the background. I'm also aware that at least inRoute uses Apple Maps for the presentation layer of their iPhone app. Right now, I have concerns about that architecture. Apple map data (which inRoute uses) is stored in temporary iPhone cache, which by definition isn't permanent and is not guaranteed be loaded. There are offline navigation scenarios where you're basically screwed until a data connection can be restored. I understand these situations are probably rare, but if I'm riding through unfamiliar badlands out West, I'm not taking navigation availability risks. So no Bueno.

But I digress. I'll download the Apple Maps app from the App Store and play with it.

·
Premium Member
8,349 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
My purpose for a GPS, on my motorcycle, is to sit comfortably at my desktop and lay out daily routes for upcoming extended trips taking the roads I want to ride. Storing each days route in a folder for that trip. Then after several edits, during the pre planning stage of that trip, download those routes to my GPS. Then ride with confidence that I’ll be taken on the roads I want to ride.

My iPhone is good for giving me a direct route to a destination but that’s not what I want while on a vacation trip on my motorcycle.

As John mentions I ride a lot in places that don’t have cell service.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts