BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
22 GA
301 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I'm familiar with Apple Maps in that if I ask Siri for routing directions to a direct point "B", my iPhone uses Apple Maps in the background. I'm also aware that at least inRoute uses Apple Maps for the presentation layer of their iPhone app. Right now, I have concerns about that architecture. Apple map data (which inRoute uses) is stored in temporary iPhone cache, which by definition isn't permanent and is not guaranteed be loaded. There are offline navigation scenarios where you're basically screwed until a data connection can be restored. I understand these situations are probably rare, but if I'm riding through unfamiliar badlands out West, I'm not taking navigation availability risks. So no Bueno.

But I digress. I'll download the Apple Maps app from the App Store and play with it.
It seems Apple Maps will pre-download route data when a route is planned. If an internet connection is unavailable then there will be less detail available and searching will not be possible. But the pre-planned route will be there.
If frequently operating without a data connection then Google Maps offers the ability to download and store map data. Not sure about complex routes with GOOG though.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
It seems Apple Maps will pre-download route data when a route is planned. If an internet connection is unavailable then there will be less detail available and searching will not be possible. But the pre-planned route will be there.
If frequently operating without a data connection then Google Maps offers the ability to download and store map data. Not sure about complex routes with GOOG though.
Yes, it should work most of the time. Certainly when you plan a route with a data connection, everything starts OK. But cache is cache. Things sometimes happen where an iPhone needs to be rebooted. I was on a trip through rural Colorado with @Arizona Jim last summer and his iPhone froze up. I forget all the details, but we had to do a hard restart to get the phone operating properly. If we had been using Apple Maps for navigation, any cached maps would have been gone. And being in an offline area, well, it wouldn't have been a pretty situation. Thankfully we were both using our Garmin Navs and data connections are never needed. All was good. (y)

But I am curious about this complex routing that can be done with native Apple Maps. "Complex" has different meanings to different people, so I'm intrigued. I like learning new stuff.

·
Registered
22 GA
301 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Yes, it should work most of the time. Certainly when you plan a route with a data connection, everything starts OK. But cache is cache. Things sometimes happen where an iPhone needs to be rebooted. I was on a trip through rural Colorado with @Arizona Jim last summer and his iPhone froze up. I forget all the details, but we had to do a hard restart to get the phone operating properly. If we had been using Apple Maps for navigation, any cached maps would have been gone. And being in an offline area, well, it wouldn't have been a pretty situation. Thankfully we were both using our Garmin Navs and data connections are never needed. All was good. (y)

But I am curious about this complex routing that can be done with native Apple Maps. "Complex" has different meanings to different people, so I'm intrigued. I like learning new stuff.
Well I get it. Point taken. However, in my little part of the world when we run out of cell service we also tend to run out of roads. The one I am currently on typically ends up somewhere as opposed to nowhere.

·
Registered
2018 K1600B
411 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I believe most of us in this forum are old enough to have grown up without e-maps of any kind. Perhaps you had a road atlas in the car…we looked at a map and got the idea from studying the paper chart how to get somewhere. OMG! Has everyone forgot the basic tenets of getting from place to place? My gosh, soooo much anguish about a GPS guided trip not being turn-by-turn directed perfection. Wow.
I generally ride for fun, and if I’m on a trip I certainly am not in such a desperate time crunch that everything must go perfectly. I like technology, but I’m never going to foam and rant over it. The iPhone map apps do just fine.
Relax and enjoy the ride - don’t get overly reliant on the technology.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
I believe most of us in this forum are old enough to have grown up without e-maps of any kind. Perhaps you had a road atlas in the car…we looked at a map and got the idea from studying the paper chart how to get somewhere. OMG! Has everyone forgot the basic tenets of getting from place to place? My gosh, soooo much anguish about a GPS guided trip not being turn-by-turn directed perfection. Wow.
I generally ride for fun, and if I’m on a trip I certainly am not in such a desperate time crunch that everything must go perfectly. I like technology, but I’m never going to foam and rant over it. The iPhone map apps do just fine.
Relax and enjoy the ride - don’t get overly reliant on the technology.
One of the joys of riding in the truly great areas of the country is having the ability to ride continuously without having to stop and scratching your head. Especially if you're traveling 500-700 miles a day over several days. It's immensely satisfying studying hard maps (usually Butler maps), and then with the aid of online google maps, build an incredibly complex route into your navigation device. I'm talking about remote areas that would be impossible to commit to memory. Some of the best roads you'll never ride are very poorly marked, so even if you "think" you know where you should turn, you'll likely miss it. In fact, an easy to miss turn in rural areas of Wyoming (just one example) can turn into an unwanted 100+ mile detour. Ask me how I know. :unsure:

To your point, I agree that having to use navigation for every ride is probably overboard. But all of the great riding adventures I've done would have been impossible without intense pre-planning and the use of my transferred pre-built routes into my Nav. I guess it all comes down to the riding experience each of us find our happy place in.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
inRoute is the best routing software for Apple devices IMHO.
Ron, you might be correct on this. You certainly have experience with different navigation options. But with respect to inRoute, I read that during navigation, off-route recalculation isn't possible without a data connection. That's a big concern to me. I'm getting old and ending up off-route happens more than I want to admit. ;) It's minor details like this that need to be understood.

·
Registered
2022 BMW K1600 GTL Gravity Blue Metallic
1,293 Posts
I’ll just fight through without CarPlay and continue to harbor great malice toward the Motorrad SW Dev religious zealot who has such disdain for closed software systems (Apple, Garmin).
You no longer have to do without Apple CarPlay. Do a search on Amazon for “CarPlay screen”. I ordered this one and it arrived yesterday. It’s glove friendly and has a USB-C power connection.

I’ll be RAM mounting it to the center stem mount. I’m having it powered direct from the battery, so I’m also getting an inline power switch, as this model doesn’t have an on/off button.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
One of the joys of riding in the truly great areas of the country is having the ability to ride continuously without having to stop and scratching your head. Especially if you're traveling 500-700 miles a day over several days. It's immensely satisfying studying hard maps (usually Butler maps), and then with the aid of online google maps, build an incredibly complex route into your navigation device. I'm talking about remote areas that would be impossible to commit to memory. Some of the best roads you'll never ride are very poorly marked, so even if you "think" you know where you should turn, you'll likely miss it. In fact, an easy to miss turn in rural areas of Wyoming (just one example) can turn into an unwanted 100+ mile detour. Ask me how I know. :unsure:

To your point, I agree that having to use navigation for every ride is probably overboard. But all of the great riding adventures I've done would have been impossible without intense pre-planning and the use of my transferred pre-built routes into my Nav. I guess it all comes down to the riding experience each of us find our happy place in.
Yep. There's no way to ride the very planned routes I do with a paper map and written instructions. Definitely not safely.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Ron, you might be correct on this. You certainly have experience with different navigation options. But with respect to inRoute, I read that during navigation, off-route recalculation isn't possible without a data connection. That's a big concern to me. I'm getting old and ending up off-route happens more than I want to admit. ;) It's minor details like this that need to be understood.
You won’t be able to create a route without internet coverage, but your phone’s GPS will guide you to the nearest waypoint on your stored route. That’s what occurred for me.

·
Registered
2018 K1600B
411 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
….all of the great riding adventures I've done would have been impossible without intense pre-planning….
This is most likely the crux of the problem for me. I don’t have the time to spend hours pre-planning a trip. I’m lucky enough to be able to do a trip at all. Perhaps all this pre-planning and GPS navigating will be something to enjoy in retirement….if that day ever comes. For now my wife and I enjoy jumping on the bike for a one, two, or three day trip with very little (if any) pre-planning other than a general “that-a-way” discussion.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
You won’t be able to create a route without internet coverage, but your phone’s GPS will guide you to the nearest waypoint on your stored route. That’s what occurred for me.
I'll take your word for that, But the way the phone's GPS will guide me to the nearest waypoint will likely not route me the way I intended to go. The GPS will pick the fastest and most straight forward route to the next waypoint, which again, is probably not what I had built into my custom route. That's a compromise I'd have a hard time with. For others, maybe not a big deal.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ok guys I'm getting the feedback here and now from you on the XT. About ready to order it for $399.00, my concern is the mounting bracket. I don't want to hit a bump in the road and have it fall out of a magnetic mount and run over it! I plan to use it between my handlebars as the BMW/Garmin unit V1 seems to have many failures with ghosting etc.

Plus it is hard for me to see the info clearly being so far away in the front console. So between the bars with a 5" screen seems about perfect I can move the cell to my belt as I don't care about talking on the phone when riding the bike anytime.

So I want to know about very sturdy mounting bracket between my handlebars, so looking for some input and recommendations on sturdy mounts.

Ninja

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'll take your word for that, But the way the phone's GPS will guide me to the nearest waypoint will likely not route me the way I intended to go. The GPS will pick the fastest and most straight forward route to the next waypoint, which again, is probably not what I had built into my custom route. That's a compromise I'd have a hard time with. For others, maybe not a big deal.
I guess it all depends on how you have your waypoints set up. I always try and put enough waypoints in that routing preferences won’t have an effect.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
Ok guys I'm getting the feedback here and now from you on the XT. About ready to order it for $399.00, my concern is the mounting bracket. I don't want to hit a bump in the road and have it fall out of a magnetic mount and run over it! I plan to use it between my handlebars as the BMW/Garmin unit V1 seems to have many failures with ghosting etc.

Plus it is hard for me to see the info clearly being so far away in the front console. So between the bars with a 5" screen seems about perfect I can move the cell to my belt as I don't care about talking on the phone when riding the bike anytime.

So I want to know about very sturdy mounting bracket between my handlebars, so looking for some input and recommendations on sturdy mounts.

Ninja
Here is one way to mount a device between the handlebars. Picture in your mind a GPS instead of SPOT device.
I sell the Ramball that replaces the BMW roundel in the middle.

Amazon.com: Garmin Motorcycle Mount Bracket for Garmin zumo XT : Electronics

Amazon.com: RAM Mounts Ball Adapter with AMPS Plate RAM-B-347U with B Size 1" Ball : Everything Else

Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAP-B-201U-A Composite Double Socket Arm - Short Arm Compatible with B Size 1" Ball Components : Electronics

Body jewelry Art Creative arts Earrings Jewellery

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Gear shift

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
I guess it all depends on how you have your waypoints set up. I always try and put enough waypoints in that routing preferences won’t have an effect.
In my Basecamp (BC) routes, I always liberally add no-alert shaping points to make sure my routes are followed as designed. I usually only have a few waypoints -- the start, the end, and sometimes a couple of stopping POIs. I don't know enough about inRoute to understand if shaping points are supported, or if you have to use hard waypoints for everything. I would hope not just based on all the additional clutter it would create.

Regardless, it's clear that inRoute has potential problems with map availability and route recalculation that don't exist in the Garmin Navs. These are core features I find important to evaluating any navigation product. The chances of problems might be small, but they exist all the same. They're outlined in the Company FAQ for inRoute:

Having said this, I'm still leaning towards at least playing the inRoute. I like the seamless integration with Mac/iPhone, so when life gets less hectic, I hope to give it a try.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I use this ball with a ram mount “x” grip and my iphone. Works great and very secure. That said, the iPhone is pretty thin. The thicker XT may be an issue, not sure. I seem to recall the x mount comes with a few different “fingers“ that my allow for these variances in thickness between devices.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Other than the Garmin made BMW gps that has ghosting problems that Garmin can’t fix
So what model has no issues is easy to program while riding has best volume screen doesn’t glare out with direct sunlight and is waterproof if caught in the rain while riding?
Would want to mount it between the handlebars on GTL and GT for easy viewing.

Ninja
Garmin is garbage, and can be dangerous with false directions. Garmins also don't have any intelligence with traffic direction in comparison with my iphone maps. A RAM mount, the one where you slide your phone between c-clamps. Leave BMW out of your bluetooth sphere and connect your headset directly to the iphone.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Does anyone have experience using “scenic” for route planning and navigation? Not to hijack the thread here, but it may be a viable solution based on my research. But, I have no real world experience using it.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts