BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well I cleaned it with regular alchohol. Can't possibly end up any worse than what I had.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
I just did a Google search and it seems we are both right. I found where it says does not leave a residue, and one where it says it will leave a residue that would be corrosive to a computer circuit board and terminals.
Used to teach microscopic soldering. We had ready access to 99.9% isopropyl so I am a little biased, of course. However, the proof is in the pudding. Do your own testing and pour a little of each on a slab of glass and just wait... The denatured leaves behind a white film. Would that film would be destructive to a brake system? Not likely... but it is still there.

Besides, the smell of isopropyl is much better.... :grin:

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am amazed at the stuff you guys will try to argue over. Just sayin.

Either drink more, or ride more. You won't care then.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I just did a Google search and it seems we are both right. I found where it says does not leave a residue, and one where it says it will leave a residue that would be corrosive to a computer circuit board and terminals.
That doesn't mean you're both right, just that you found at least one website that was wrong (possibly both). It can't both not leave a residue but leave a residue in some specific use.

I don't know about this area so I couldn't tell you which if either is right. I'll leave that to other armchair chemists (or maybe some real ones).

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Reactions: jryan19 and Busted

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Your first time on the internets?

:confused:
Not exactly. Been on motorcycle forums for over 30 years, but in the beginning they were mailing lists and dial up modems.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 15 model and my reservoir looked exactly like that! I bought the bike new and flushed the fluid after one year. Have never seen it again. I too was perplexed as to what it was.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Not exactly. Been on motorcycle forums for over 30 years, but in the beginning they were mailing lists and dial up modems.
Then you should know the difference between "argue" and "discuss". :serious:

-Stephen!
SysOp 1:208/219

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hmmm?

Wondering if what I do helps. I activate the abs occasionally. I do it on my gravel drive which is a little less jarring than doing it on pavement. Did it with my K1200LT on a regular basis, that bike didn't have linked brakes so I could do front and rear separately. Accelerate to 5-10mph and stomp on the brake. The KLT brake system would go "clunk-clunk-clunk". I could really tell the abs was working.

On my new GTL I'd just do the rear brake using the foot pedal, then both brakes using the linked "front" brake lever.

After a brake fluid change, activating the abs should circulate fluid through the abs pump, no?
If you're really anal, or suspect really bad fluid, you could change the fluid, go for a spin and activate the abs, then change the fluid again. Would that not flush the abs brake fluid circuits?
I actually thought about this approach. It might help or it might not.

Will cycling the abs pump by using the brakes on a gravel road circulate the fluid? To a point, I imagine it would. However, if you truly have a harmful contaminate in the brake fluid that’s trapped in the master cylinder and or the abs pump, I suspect you run the risk of having that contaminate either coating or physically damaging the braking components such as rubber seals or scoring the bore where the hydraulic pistons actuate in. Since I don’t know what the contaminant is, I would much rather draw the initial brake fluid from the system using a vacuum source instead of using the brake lever or pedal for the initial fluid flush.

If I didn’t have access to a diagnostic tool to cycle the abs pump, I would do the initial flush with a vacuum source, then bleed the brakes with the levers and then actuate the abs pump by driving on a gravel road and ONLY using the rear brake. Then I would give it one last brake fluid bleed using the pedal. I’m not so sure I would want to recommend using the front brake on a gravel road to actuate the abs pump. Things can go sideways even with abs.

It’s like an open red carpet invitation for Murphy to come inside.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Then you should know the difference between "argue" and "discuss". :serious:

-Stephen!

SysOp 1:208/219
I'll just let you have the last word. All will be good then.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So I shined a flashlight against the side of my reservoirs, and both of them have that same crud/gunk/sediment on the bottom, amd even up the sides part way. Is it a bad idea to drain the reservoir empty to clean that out? Will that introduce too much air into the lines? Or better to leave 1/8” of fluid, and use a cotton swab (Q-tip), to clean the reservoir?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
So I shined a flashlight against the side of my reservoirs, and both of them have that same crud/gunk/sediment on the bottom, amd even up the sides part way. Is it a bad idea to drain the reservoir empty to clean that out? Will that introduce too much air into the lines? Or better to leave 1/8” of fluid, and use a cotton swab (Q-tip), to clean the reservoir?
Dump it, clean it, refill it but just don't PUMP it while empty!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Dump it, clean it, refill it but just don't PUMP it while empty!
I sucked mine out and then refilled it. If you turn it upside down, add fluid and wait for the air to migrate out of the hose. A few taps on the hose help.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Good thread and good to know. Still perplexed what this could be after only two years. I know that is the scheduled limit to the fluid but I wouldn't think crud would be present.

I'm thinking I'll go yearly with the change...can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Well since you brought it up, it does look kinda like what the Dr removed from a cyst on my back last month.yuck..

During the early 70's, Harley was new to disc brake technology.. Factory installed dot3 brake fluid did not handle moisture well. It didn't stop the bike either. We found several remedies to this: pressure washing seemed to let enough water past the brake piston o-ring and/or the little vent hole in the master cylinder cap to contaminate the fluid. The dot3 fluid was not moisture friendly. It heated up rapidly and boiled out. Dot5 fluid helped some, but there was a lot more to it than that...Anyway I think the awful nastiness you have found has something to do with water...as someone mentioned earlier, the entire fluid system needs to be flushed and replaced. It is spendy but well worth it..

21 - 37 of 37 Posts