BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As motorcyclists, we’re all too familiar with car drivers merging into our lanes, seemingly blind to the fact we’re occupying the lane they are trying to merge into. But what’s proper etiquette when a two-lane road turns into one? Which order should vehicles in a double-file line let each other into a single-file line? Whatever your answer, it’s probably not what this woman was thinking as she comes from behind this motorcyclist and co-occupies the lane he’s in. He then gets upset, honks the horn a few times, gives the driver a quick lesson in merging, calls her a choice expletive then rides on.

Normally that’s where a story like this would end. Instead, he spots a police officer up ahead, flags him down, and sticks him on the car driver.
Read more about the What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Lay on the horn and give way to the cage. In this situation you're like a yappy little Chihuahua trying to keep the Bull Mastiff from taking your bone. You can't win and you might die. Let it go.

Reactions: capav8r

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
The truck was clearly pulling away from him until the merger came up beside him. Then he sped up to not let her in. It looks to me like he was looking for trouble.

Of course, there are a lot of idiots out there but this situation is easily avoidable.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
I see this happen all the time when I am on the GTLE but very rarely on the RTP. I just get out of the way and continue on my way. Any other action could get you in trouble and possibly cause an accident. The rider was wrong by not letting her in. The rider was right by contacting the Police. I hope that the officer gave the rider a stern lecture after seeing the video they were both at fault.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I would recommend never taking an action that could result in you being "dead right"....let it go - there are plenty of idiots out there on two and four wheels (or more). Nothing compares to coming home to my grandson and his light up the room smile...

·
Texas Thorn
2,405 Posts
I think courtesy may be the best answer, and safest. The bike is the one at risk of accident injuries in this situation.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I know common sense isn't common anymore, and while no riding plan is fool proof, I try to ride first and foremost by the laws of physics, second place are the vehicle and traffic laws. When a car collides with a motorcycle, the motorcycle looses, so trying to make a point by playing a game of chicken with a car is foolish. I would let her go, and at the first opportunity to safely put distance between her cage and my bike I would do exactly that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most people merging think they have the right away. They don't!
But.... They can still kill you. You can't win those deals.

GT

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
This intersection is two miles from my house and my wife says she gets cut off here all the time; if this guy travels this road often it might get old. It looks like he wasn't in any real danger but wanted to make a point. I always assume they don't see me, but she seemed to be smiling right at the rider. I guess it depends on if you're on your way in to work or on the way home :)

·
Texas Thorn
2,405 Posts
On the bike you can be RIGHT......DEAD RIGHT...

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Definitely get the Police involved. She is the type that would cause you to bust your azz and keep driving. People like her need to be properly introduced to the court system.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This guy is on a motorcycle and is slower than the truck. Next he is mad that someone thinks, you're riding like a turtle, so I can go on.
This is a stupid action of the rider.
And though he might be right in theory, it is a self inflicted situation.
If like a normal rider he had made a little speed, he would have been long gone...

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
My theory about when a lane ends is that the vehicle that was ahead gets let in. The car really was ahead at that point, even if just by a nose, and the guy on the bike let himself get caught in her blind spot. Neither one of them where planning ahead at all, so the victory goes to the car because the guy on the bike has to know that he is not going to win in the event of a collision.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Most larger vehicles merging with a smaller vehicle think they have the right of way due to intimidation. Take two cases:

1. A large truck and a car, the truck wins and easily intimidates.

2. A car and a motorcycle, the car should win and the bike should get out of the way.

This also applies on narrow roads when oncoming vehicles cross over the line into oncoming traffic. Happens to me on my bike and the car. I just get out of the way due to "They Take the right of way" that they don;t have a right to but if you keep your rights, you end in a crash or you are dead!

·
Registered
131 Posts
While I agree Wildrider that the confrontation should be avoided...when I meet a car at a narrow part of the road and I have there ride of way, I do make them stop by riding near the center. So they know they cannot go on. Of course only when it is safe and theirs enough room for me to move over if the cager thinks he should have the right of way. But that happens very seldom to me.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Tough situation. Her lane was ending and she should be yielding to him. Regardless if her car was ahead of his bike by inches. She didn't drive within the law. That being said, I would have smoked the truck and left her to deal with the truck while I was going on my merry way. She kept on trying to get into his lane even after the stop. I don't know what she was thinking. I get away from them in some way. Mostly by accelerating away. Sometimes by dropping back if they are **** bent on racing. May be he didn't feel like he could safely get around the truck and he may have had someone on his taillights. And maybe he was driving defensive and following the truck at a safe distance and the cager only sees it as him poking down the road an decides she wants to get into his safe zone. It's not a race. Cagers and bikers need to learn this. Let the other go first. Neither one in the video was willing to do that.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
I think you cannot always ride a motorcycle the same way as you drive a car. The car obviously has the advantage in size, even the small ones. But the motorcycle has the advantage in agility and quickness. I'm pretty aggressive in using those motorcycle traits to my advantage. This rider was not using those traits, and I think that can leave you exposed and at risk. So this guy is riding so differently than I do that I simply can't be fair with him.

So first of all, a big box truck is going faster than the motorcycle. Sorry folks, I told you I can't be fair. Second, I don't know what he's riding. But a quick little flick of the wrist would have put me in front of that little mouse-mobile. Or maybe in front of that truck.

So to me, to sit around and jerk around with this bitch is a mistake. Use the special traits of a motorcycle and leave them all behind you. Now, merging lanes is an inherently dangerous situation for a motorcycle. Just like, left turners, opening doors, etc. It's just one of those special situations that you have to be wary of on a motorcycle.

So I don't mean that I would sprint like a madman in between the vehicles. But I would certainly use the special traits of a motorcycle to move ahead and put myself in a better situation.

That's just me.

Reactions: Up 2 It

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Tough situation. Her lane was ending and she should be yielding to him. Regardless if her car was ahead of his bike by inches. She didn't drive within the law.
That is the right answer, IMO. With the lane ending, it is her job to find a way to change lanes into the lane that is remaining. Not, most people alternate at such points as a courtesy but it is just a lane change, albeit forced.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts