BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a used K1600GT. What year did they come with the improved water pump and handlebar switches designs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's my understanding the design of the water pump was changed some time after 2013. I understand the switchgear was also replaced with a newer design some time after 2013. I just wondered what year of new bike came with the updated items instead of having them replaced by recalls or failures.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Depending on budget, I'd try to find an 18+ model. Has updated bodywork, the clutchless shift transmission, reverse. Yes, there is a recall, that will soon be resolved at no cost to you. Some also complain about the tuning, personally my 18 runs great. If you want more power and no speed limiter, you can download the Bren tune. No biggie and not big money.

Something to consider. We all have different taste and priorities. Never hurts to check out all your options.

Best of luck sir,

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
My 2015 GT was the last year with transmissions built in Berlin. It's had no issues at all, no oil consumption, shifts perfect and smooth. But it's old enough to have the engine tune with cajones. I'm riding this bike till it quits on me. Being 70, it's gonna be me who quits before it does.

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
I don’t think the water pump was ever redesigned. My 2016 version weeps sporadically. My brothers 2012 with 140,000 miles has never leaked. It’s the luck of the draw if you have a non-weeper.
Handlebar switches were covered under a factory recall. Just buy the one with the color you like best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. Guess the water pump redesign was internet gossip. I've seen a 2013 GT for sale. I'll ask for the VIN and see if my local shop can check what's been done to the bike.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I think the water pump and switch gear were both addressed in mid production year 2013, the upside of an older bike is no playing around with Bren Tune, stock tune was strong.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a '15, one water pump replacement and a traction control sensor.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
I think the 15 to 17 are the sweet spot for the 1600. If I was looking for one those are the years I would look for.with less than 25k on them.

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
I think the 15 to 17 are the sweet spot for the 1600. If I was looking for one those are the years I would look for.with less than 25k on them.
I agree although here in the U.S. they didn't import a 2017 but jumped from 2016 to 2018 (which was redesigned somewhat) . I had a 2012 GTL and now a 2016 GTL and I can't say that the 2016 is a better bike although I like the keyless ignition and hill start on the 2016.

I bought the 2016 in 2018 used with 9,800 miles on it and lots of extras. I saved over $10,000 from a new bike (not counting the extras) so I think it was a good deal. It still had some factory warranty left so I was able to add an aftermarket extended warranty to it.

·
Registered
906 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
From what I have read online, around 2013 model year seems to be when several issues were addressed with running production changes. So when a very low miles '14 popped up on my radar with an attractive price, I went with it.

A lot depends on your budget and your patience. I just saw some guy on FB snatched a brand new leftover 2016 GT for dirt cheap. Never know what you'll find.

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
Here's a great deal up in Wisconsin, '16 GT, 24K miles, $13,000...

Duane

1 - 15 of 15 Posts