BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. K 1600 GA is making me trade my HD Ultra. K is fast, nimble and comfortable best of both worlds. Gotta have one. I once made the mistake of buying HD in early summer, 2 months later, major improvments came out. About when does BMW release 2021 model year info? And......when would the 2021's be available for purchase? Thanks

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
if you've never owned a K, consider buying a 2017 one, getting used to it then trading up when the new bikes are available

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not a whole lot of changes year to year. Mid-cycle refresh was ... 2017? And it was basically styling, nothing major like an all new TFT dash. The B and GA in 2018 which to my mind are more style than function. There aren't many rumors about major changes for 2021, plus COVID has thrown a wrench into so many plans, I wouldn't expect much beyond Bold New Colors!

·
Upside Down
1,466 Posts
The small changes from year to year mostly paint colours, some improvements to pro shift assist in the last few years and the Hill Hold control is way better than a few years back over all the bikes have not changed that much over the last 11 years since first being released other than the addition of the B and GA in the last few years. The one thing you will hate or love depending on your wants or needs is that the Garmin Sat. Nav. is a pain having to pay extra for it and not integrated, the other downfall is the shitty stereo /speaker system that is total crap. They are long overdue to have an upgrade to bring the bike and brand up top the higher grade of the Harley / Indian and Honda Infotainment systems. That can be over come with Sena/Packtalk coms. and using a mobile phone for navigation.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
some improvements to pro shift assist in the last few years and the Hill Hold control is way better than a few years back
I wasn't aware of improvements in the pro shift assist, could you explain?

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
211 Posts
If COVID 19 hasn’t upset their timetable, ‘21 models should be released in the Aug to Oct period. However, info floating around the web said HD will not reveal ’21 models until Jan 2021. Don’t know if any other manufacturers will use this release schedule too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great feed back. I guess if I wait for the next upgrade, the wait never ends. The GA's small readout, Nav & poor music look due for an upgrade, also the speed limiting might be addressed. Is BMW like Harley, everything closely guarded until release? Even spy shots are rare with Harley, they want to clear inventory before releasing any improvements. Harley has released in late July for years, if they delay, could spell some difficulties for Harley.

Really liking this forum....

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
BMW really don't change much. I was amazed on my R80RT from 78 could have bits added to the same loom from much later bikes with no modification, just unplug and reinstall (obviously softwrae falshes didn't then exist). Nav is here to stay, same as the audio, which has been around from the start, so why would they change it. Unlike Japan that can change weekly

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's doubtful there will be any significant upgrades to the K16 bikes, I think the next minor upgrade will be to dump the analog display in favor of the TFT. Different color paint jobs and maybe a few cosmetic tweaks is about all you can expect to see between now and 2021 or even 2022. There's still some leftover 2019 K16's available and I'm sure there'll be a few 2020 K16's left over when 2021 bikes start arriving so good deals are out there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's doubtful there will be any significant upgrades to the K16 bikes, I think the next minor upgrade will be to dump the analog display in favor of the TFT. Different color paint jobs and maybe a few cosmetic tweaks is about all you can expect to see between now and 2021 or even 2022. There's still some leftover 2019 K16's available and I'm sure there'll be a few 2020 K16's left over when 2021 bikes start arriving so good deals are out there.
I think i am the only one who doesn't want TFT display. I had a 1250GS and wasn't fascinated. I love analog displays.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think i am the only one who doesn't want TFT display. I had a 1250GS and wasn't fascinated. I love analog displays.
I think you might be in the minority but definitely not the only one who prefers analog over TFT. Unfortunately on the higher end bikes and even some entry level bikes manufacturers are going to TFT and eventually I believe most bikes other than retro style like the RnineT will go TFT. I like TFT because it provides a wealth of easily accessible information at the twist of the wonder wheel.

·
Registered
281 Posts
No, I couldn’t care less about A full TFT either. Seems like it’s more flash than anything, and I like the understated display on this bike much better than the one on the GS.

Back on topic, under normal circumstances they probably wouldn't announce anything about the ‘21s until around august or so, but with corona screwing everything up, my bet is that nobody knows what’s going to get announced or when

·
Upside Down
1,466 Posts
I wasn't aware of improvements in the pro shift assist, could you explain?
My last 2017 GTL also my 2016 R1200RT against MY 2019 R1250RT and 2019 GTL Pro shift was ok on the earlier models, but the newer models somehow, seem to be much smoother than 2 and 3 years ago. Don't get me wrong the pro shift is and was great just a lot smoother on the later models. I have to say I hated the Hill control on the 2 earlier bikes I mentioned above but that has been much better in that you now don't have to pull hard on the hand brake to have it work. Just applying the front or rear brake either uphill or downhill grades it works and holds, then once you're ready to pull away just roll on the throttle and it releases with ease.

Reactions: Mark6

·
Registered
98 Posts
New to the forum. K 1600 GA is making me trade my HD Ultra. K is fast, nimble and comfortable best of both worlds. Gotta have one. I once made the mistake of buying HD in early summer, 2 months later, major improvments came out. About when does BMW release 2021 model year info? And......when would the 2021's be available for purchase? Thanks
Just curious what updates are you hoping to see on a 2021 or whenever BMW decides to update it, and god knows
it's due for a **** facelift... let the flaming begin

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would like a TFT display, the bigger the better (I would prefer bikes didn’t come with gauges but industry standard plug or mount and you could put the phone or pad of your choice and configure as you would like) especially if it had the full functionality of a stand alone GPS. Convert the lights or at least the high beams to leds. Instead of their style options, I’ll take a ”custom” option where the bike is delivered with the body panels only primed and off the bike so it is easier for my custom paint job. That’s my fantasy.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Adherence to the Euro 5 emissions standard will be the priority, everything else is a tad academic at present; indeed we have aired the forum wish list on several occasions. However, the real question is will the K16 range survive the cull that Euro 5 is about to inflict on the motorcycle industry: -

........ What You Need to Know About Euro 5 Emission Standards for Motorcycles

Although I hear rumours in the media, mostly of dubious origin, whether the EU will actually permit an extension to Euro 4 in the light of Covid-19 has yet to be established. Otherwise, all EU sales from January 2021 will need to be Euro 5 compliant, with many other markets following suit.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have just come from my dealer (UK). They are not making a Euro 5 compliant K1600, so when Euro 5 comes in (next year) the K will not be sold in countries that require 5 and they are stopping production!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts