BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have just come from my dealer (UK). They are not making a Euro 5 compliant K1600, so when Euro 5 comes in (next year) the K will not be sold in countries that require 5 and they are stopping production!
"... they are stopping production!" That is a pretty big scoop. I wonder if that dealership is blowing smoke. I would think that something like that would be kept under wraps until official notice is released. If true, I'm glad I got mine when I did.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,466 Posts
"... they are stopping production!" That is a pretty big scoop. I wonder if that dealership is blowing smoke. I would think that something like that would be kept under wraps until official notice is released. If true, I'm glad I got mine when I did.
Amen. I usually have “scoops” through this forum long before most dealers do. Now, is what the dealer said a fair guess, at least? Yes, it is. But you also know BMW need a touring platform to sell, of some sort, and does it make sense that they’d have gone to the trouble of developing the B and GA if they were just killing off the K1600? Not unless they were gonna be able to tweak the design and were ready with a different engine. And with Honda’s 6-cy. presumably Euro 5 compliant, why would the Big =6= be impossible to make compliant? Is developing a whole new engine really cheaper than working on emissions?

And as your to last sentence, you ain’t kidding. I’ve never understood the mentality of so many who otherwise love their bikes that they have to rush out and buy something else if it goes out of production. “Oh, no! My bike is old because they just now stopped making it!” Heck, people still think my 2006 K1200S with 25k miles is new, including TN State Troopers 😁.

While I’d like to add a (non-Transformer-looking) turbo-4 to the stable at some point, unless that 4 is a V-4, I don’t see it as being much of a touring platform. There’s no way I could even dream of riding through several states for a 2-3 day trip on something with H2SX ergos.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
365 Posts
The small changes from year to year mostly paint colours, some improvements to pro shift assist in the last few years and the Hill Hold control is way better than a few years back over all the bikes have not changed that much over the last 11 years since first being released other than the addition of the B and GA in the last few years. The one thing you will hate or love depending on your wants or needs is that the Garmin Sat. Nav. is a pain having to pay extra for it and not integrated, the other downfall is the shitty stereo /speaker system that is total crap. They are long overdue to have an upgrade to bring the bike and brand up top the higher grade of the Harley / Indian and Honda Infotainment systems. That can be over come with Sena/Packtalk coms. and using a mobile phone for navigation.
Even in the infotainment and speaker setup in Harley sucks. When i had the RoadGlide, I was using my phone for navigation and the bike came with Stage 2 audio. My setup on the Bagger is louder now then the RG. Once i figure out a way to get my phone setup in front of the nav hole , ill be all set.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I have just come from my dealer (UK). They are not making a Euro 5 compliant K1600, so when Euro 5 comes in (next year) the K will not be sold in countries that require 5 and they are stopping production!
@Ianl, interesting. If you are going to drop a bomb like that could you at the very least give it some context? In one sweeping statement we are to believe the entire line up, GTL, GT, B and GA, is no more? What is more realistic is they produce the bike and sell it in countries that do not require Euro 5.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
137 Posts
The real update I would like to see on the GA is whatever they need to do to the body of the bike so the speed limiter matches the rest of the K16 line.

·
Q
5,325 Posts
Great feed back. I guess if I wait for the next upgrade, the wait never ends. The GA's small readout, Nav & poor music look due for an upgrade, also the speed limiting might be addressed. Is BMW like Harley, everything closely guarded until release? Even spy shots are rare with Harley, they want to clear inventory before releasing any improvements. Harley has released in late July for years, if they delay, could spell some difficulties for Harley.

Really liking this forum....
The speed limiter will never be addressed by the mothership. It limited on the GA for a reason.

If that limiter bothers you just buy a GTL. Theres significant advantages to a GTL over a GA. The GTL's top and side cases are removable which makes it a heavy sport bike in about 2 minutes. Theres also a higher speed limiter around 140mph. Theres also far less complaints about instability with the GTL over the GA.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The speed limiter will never be addressed by the mothership. It limited on the GA for a reason.

If that limiter bothers you just buy a GTL. Theres significant advantages to a GTL over a GA. The GTL's top and side cases are removable which makes it a heavy sport bike in about 2 minutes. Theres also a higher speed limiter around 140mph. Theres also far less complaints about instability with the GTL over the GA.
My last RoadGlide Ultra had a speed limiter on it also. I was choked cuz my prev hd ElectraGlide went faster. I could have had the RG delete the speed governor but then it voided the warranty. With the tourpack on , anything over 100mph in windy conditions made it pretty hairy anyways.

·
Q
5,325 Posts
My last RoadGlide Ultra had a speed limiter on it also. I was choked cuz my prev hd ElectraGlide went faster. I could have had the RG delete the speed governor but then it voided the warranty. With the tourpack on , anything over 100mph in windy conditions made it pretty hairy anyways.
Yea.. I know, I’ve owned 3 of them... still got one in the garage that hasnt been started in years. They are big, heavy and handle like an aircraft carrier. My last one was a 12 Ultra, my motorcycling enjoyment inceased 10 fold when I traded it for my 14 GTL.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts

Oh I don’t know about that. I’ve owned both and I like the GA just fine. Especially after getting the BrenTune.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yea.. I know, I’ve owned 3 of them... still got one in the garage that hasnt been started in years. They are big, heavy and handle like an aircraft carrier. My last one was a 12 Ultra, my motorcycling enjoyment inceased 10 fold when I traded it for my 14 GTL.
Thats a good way to describe it, aircraft carrier , hehehe and i find my bagger now, is like a jet fighter.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,391 Posts
Thats a good way to describe it, aircraft carrier , hehehe and i find my bagger now, is like a jet fighter.
Well, BigK is more like a Starship Enterprise, 1000 RR falls in the jet fighter category.

·
Q
5,325 Posts
Oh I don’t know about that. I’ve owned both and I like the GA just fine. Especially after getting the BrenTune.
Over riding the speed limiter with a bren tune doesnt take away the instability issues that most complain about with that model.

To each his own though, I would never own a B or GA.

·
Registered
485 Posts
@Ianl, interesting. If you are going to drop a bomb like that could you at the very least give it some context? In one sweeping statement we are to believe the entire line up, GTL, GT, B and GA, is no more? What is more realistic is they produce the bike and sell it in countries that do not require Euro 5.
The guy in the dealership was reading an email from the mothership.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,391 Posts
Had my GT on the Autobahn last weekend running at a tad short of 240 kph (gps) for a few miles Stock windshield, side-cases on and some wind gusts to deal with.. And BTW at 240 even the Autobahn has appreciable curves as the dark stripes on the rear tire are testament of. Bike was stable and felt safe., tire Angel GT 1 half way down

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm the OP, got my GA a month ago, really glad I did. Got a 2019, was a great deal. Yes mine is speed limited, a little switchy at high speed, not scary. The Road Glide Ultra was nice, my 2nd Road Glide, but nothing like the K-1600 GA. If I did mostly long distance highway, the Harley is better for that. The GA is just sooooo much more fun, I started riding for the shear fun, as the years went by, I got sucked into the big Harley comfort, tunes and storage, still was fun scraping in the twisties and was solid as a rock at all speeds. The GA is just a blast! 2.9 seconds 0-60mph, quick and nimble, still comfortable and holds lots of stuff. If there's a 2021 update, sure, I'd like a better display & music - phone electronics. At the heart of my riding is the fun, this GA IS fun! If the 6 goes away, that would be a shame. If they update the high speed performance, might be nice, might reduce the overall performance, which is where this baby shines. Glad I have my 2019 GA, thanks to all here who were so helpful.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm the OP, got my GA a month ago, really glad I did. Got a 2019, was a great deal. Yes mine is speed limited, a little switchy at high speed, not scary. The Road Glide Ultra was nice, my 2nd Road Glide, but nothing like the K-1600 GA. If I did mostly long distance highway, the Harley is better for that. The GA is just sooooo much more fun, I started riding for the shear fun, as the years went by, I got sucked into the big Harley comfort, tunes and storage, still was fun scraping in the twisties and was solid as a rock at all speeds. The GA is just a blast! 2.9 seconds 0-60mph, quick and nimble, still comfortable and holds lots of stuff. If there's a 2021 update, sure, I'd like a better display & music - phone electronics. At the heart of my riding is the fun, this GA IS fun! If the 6 goes away, that would be a shame. If they update the high speed performance, might be nice, might reduce the overall performance, which is where this baby shines. Glad I have my 2019 GA, thanks to all here who were so helpful.
I get that myself.
I like what i read somewhere.
"I'm no longer a biker but a motorcyclist"
In my short ownership of the Bagger, I know I'm gonna take this bike to extremes both in speed and handling.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts