BMW K1600 Forum banner

When does is 2021 Model Info Released

10K views 47 replies 26 participants last post by  ViennaK 
#1 ·
New to the forum. K 1600 GA is making me trade my HD Ultra. K is fast, nimble and comfortable best of both worlds. Gotta have one. I once made the mistake of buying HD in early summer, 2 months later, major improvments came out. About when does BMW release 2021 model year info? And......when would the 2021's be available for purchase? Thanks

#2 ·
if you've never owned a K, consider buying a 2017 one, getting used to it then trading up when the new bikes are available

#4 ·
Not a whole lot of changes year to year. Mid-cycle refresh was ... 2017? And it was basically styling, nothing major like an all new TFT dash. The B and GA in 2018 which to my mind are more style than function. There aren't many rumors about major changes for 2021, plus COVID has thrown a wrench into so many plans, I wouldn't expect much beyond Bold New Colors!

#6 ·
The small changes from year to year mostly paint colours, some improvements to pro shift assist in the last few years and the Hill Hold control is way better than a few years back over all the bikes have not changed that much over the last 11 years since first being released other than the addition of the B and GA in the last few years. The one thing you will hate or love depending on your wants or needs is that the Garmin Sat. Nav. is a pain having to pay extra for it and not integrated, the other downfall is the shitty stereo /speaker system that is total crap. They are long overdue to have an upgrade to bring the bike and brand up top the higher grade of the Harley / Indian and Honda Infotainment systems. That can be over come with Sena/Packtalk coms. and using a mobile phone for navigation.

#10 ·
Great feed back. I guess if I wait for the next upgrade, the wait never ends. The GA's small readout, Nav & poor music look due for an upgrade, also the speed limiting might be addressed. Is BMW like Harley, everything closely guarded until release? Even spy shots are rare with Harley, they want to clear inventory before releasing any improvements. Harley has released in late July for years, if they delay, could spell some difficulties for Harley.

Really liking this forum....

#30 ·
Great feed back. I guess if I wait for the next upgrade, the wait never ends. The GA's small readout, Nav & poor music look due for an upgrade, also the speed limiting might be addressed. Is BMW like Harley, everything closely guarded until release? Even spy shots are rare with Harley, they want to clear inventory before releasing any improvements. Harley has released in late July for years, if they delay, could spell some difficulties for Harley.

Really liking this forum....
The speed limiter will never be addressed by the mothership. It limited on the GA for a reason.

If that limiter bothers you just buy a GTL. Theres significant advantages to a GTL over a GA. The GTL's top and side cases are removable which makes it a heavy sport bike in about 2 minutes. Theres also a higher speed limiter around 140mph. Theres also far less complaints about instability with the GTL over the GA.

#11 ·
BMW really don't change much. I was amazed on my R80RT from 78 could have bits added to the same loom from much later bikes with no modification, just unplug and reinstall (obviously softwrae falshes didn't then exist). Nav is here to stay, same as the audio, which has been around from the start, so why would they change it. Unlike Japan that can change weekly

Reactions: Geoff_3
#12 ·
It's doubtful there will be any significant upgrades to the K16 bikes, I think the next minor upgrade will be to dump the analog display in favor of the TFT. Different color paint jobs and maybe a few cosmetic tweaks is about all you can expect to see between now and 2021 or even 2022. There's still some leftover 2019 K16's available and I'm sure there'll be a few 2020 K16's left over when 2021 bikes start arriving so good deals are out there.

#18 ·
I would like a TFT display, the bigger the better (I would prefer bikes didn’t come with gauges but industry standard plug or mount and you could put the phone or pad of your choice and configure as you would like) especially if it had the full functionality of a stand alone GPS. Convert the lights or at least the high beams to leds. Instead of their style options, I’ll take a ”custom” option where the bike is delivered with the body panels only primed and off the bike so it is easier for my custom paint job. That’s my fantasy.

#19 ·
Adherence to the Euro 5 emissions standard will be the priority, everything else is a tad academic at present; indeed we have aired the forum wish list on several occasions. However, the real question is will the K16 range survive the cull that Euro 5 is about to inflict on the motorcycle industry: -

........ What You Need to Know About Euro 5 Emission Standards for Motorcycles

Although I hear rumours in the media, mostly of dubious origin, whether the EU will actually permit an extension to Euro 4 in the light of Covid-19 has yet to be established. Otherwise, all EU sales from January 2021 will need to be Euro 5 compliant, with many other markets following suit.

#22 ·
"... they are stopping production!" That is a pretty big scoop. I wonder if that dealership is blowing smoke. I would think that something like that would be kept under wraps until official notice is released. If true, I'm glad I got mine when I did.

#38 ·
Had my GT on the Autobahn last weekend running at a tad short of 240 kph (gps) for a few miles Stock windshield, side-cases on and some wind gusts to deal with.. And BTW at 240 even the Autobahn has appreciable curves as the dark stripes on the rear tire are testament of. Bike was stable and felt safe., tire Angel GT 1 half way down

#39 ·
I'm the OP, got my GA a month ago, really glad I did. Got a 2019, was a great deal. Yes mine is speed limited, a little switchy at high speed, not scary. The Road Glide Ultra was nice, my 2nd Road Glide, but nothing like the K-1600 GA. If I did mostly long distance highway, the Harley is better for that. The GA is just sooooo much more fun, I started riding for the shear fun, as the years went by, I got sucked into the big Harley comfort, tunes and storage, still was fun scraping in the twisties and was solid as a rock at all speeds. The GA is just a blast! 2.9 seconds 0-60mph, quick and nimble, still comfortable and holds lots of stuff. If there's a 2021 update, sure, I'd like a better display & music - phone electronics. At the heart of my riding is the fun, this GA IS fun! If the 6 goes away, that would be a shame. If they update the high speed performance, might be nice, might reduce the overall performance, which is where this baby shines. Glad I have my 2019 GA, thanks to all here who were so helpful.

#43 ·
dobervol
Ref the email, my first thought, "a sales pitch"...i have an ingrained distrust for salesmen/dealerships.
I played the biker game and got tired of the politics. I enjoy being a Lone Shark 🦈 now on my Bagger. The one thing , i noticed in that crowd, alot can't ride worth crap and don't know the ins and outs of their bike's. I can say these things with confidence cuz holding Road Captain position had to observe such qualities.

#47 ·
I got an 'update' yesterday from a reasonably reputable source. The 2021 model range just announced are those bikes already in production. They are fitting extras as standard to make them sell. There is still no plan to keep producing, but that may change.

#48 ·
IMHO the K48 ist toast once BMW cannot bring Euro 4 bikes anymore into the market. Maybe they come back in 2022 with a reconfigured K48 along the lines of the 1250 but I doubt it. The segment is just too small.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.