BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a SPOT Gen 4 to give my wife peace of mind. It came with a strap that wraps around it and a snap link on the end. Probably designed to hook on a backpack. I see Giant Loop makes a holder that can wrap around your arm. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
When I used an inReach which is similar to the Spot I put it on my tail bag. The limitation of that is if you get separated from the bike and cannot get back to the bike and hit the SOS it kind of defeats the purpose of using a device like that. However, I figured if I was so injured I could not get back to the bike there was a decent chance I'd be too injured to press the SOS. It was not terribly uncomfortable to wear it on me but with a Camebak and some other gear on me and my jacket it was a calculated risk I took.

At the time inReach sold a RAM mount where it could be mounted to the bike or various ways to mount it to the person. I certainly see the logic in putting it on the person instead of the bike.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That's why I Carry a gun, if I'm well enough to activate the spot switch, I'm certain that I can use my last bullet

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,162 Posts
Here is where I mounted mine when I use to ride with it.
IMG_1102.JPG

Reactions: amorley

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have an inReach mini. I keep it on my person. Clipped to my jacket.

Joe

Reactions: KHawk

·
Outta This World
2,033 Posts
I also have an InReach Mini, clipped to the appropriate jacket and I use it year-round. I learned my lesson the hard way as a youth when I was thrown from a snowmobile and ended up hundreds of yards down a mountain from where the sled was found, luckily I had a whistle on me. InReach plus Whistle (or Spot Plus a Whistle).

·
Premium Member
'19 K1600GT Silver/Black/Red
199 Posts

·
KBiK
1,918 Posts
My SPOT gen4 is mounted on my my clutch reservoir. I have used a SPOT for over ten years of riding

Reactions: BMWGuy

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
I dunno, Andy, that cockpit is looking kinda busy... :cool:

·
Premium Member
2014 K1600GT Sport and 2020 Husqvarna FE350
238 Posts
I dunno, Andy, that cockpit is looking kinda busy... :cool:
I was thinking the same thing! I'm not sure if the cockpit of an FA-18 has more displays to monitor or buttons to push! With all those distractions you need a SPOT!:oops:

Reactions: KHawk

·
Premium Member
7,162 Posts
Hmmm clutch is usually on the left.

·
Techmeister
K1600GA
2,591 Posts
The reason I did not mount my InReach to the bike is because it is often the case a rider is thrown clear of the bike in an accident. I picture myself in a ditch trying to crawl back to the bike in order to actuate the InReach. I feel it is better to keep it with me because the bike doesn't need rescuing.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
On your person makes most sense. I used a spot for 5 years with Forest Service on the White River. Though we utilized spots, the primary-redundant forms of communication were radio and sat phone. We used spots when out of radio range for "check-ins" at the end of the day.

Reactions: BMWGuy

·
Bubonic
1,206 Posts
As I get older and have less muscle control, my spot usually ends up on the front of my pants near my groin area.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The reason I did not mount my InReach to the bike is because it is often the case a rider is thrown clear of the bike in an accident. I picture myself in a ditch trying to crawl back to the bike in order to actuate the InReach. I feel it is better to keep it with me because the bike doesn't need rescuing.
I ordered the Giant Loop holder for my arm. Interesting part about being thrown clear of the bike. I ended up sliding down the road with it, and then into the ditch. When it was all said and done, I was essentially next to it. I wonder if the design tends to cradle the rider a bit more into the bike. The impact should have put me off the left side of the bike, and I'm pretty sure my chest hit something hard before the airbag deployed. I distinctly remember hearing the grinding on the road followed by the smacking of vegetation as we went down into the ditch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts