BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the only place to get these bolts at the bmw dealer.
I'd like to have some extras on hand.
I seem to keep dropping and loosing some, doh...hehehe

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure the bolts you eventually buy have a conical tip as opposed to squared off tip. The conical tip helps align body panels, tabs and clip nuts.
Yeah good point.. i noted that with them and thought that was a brilliant design, prolly less cross threads cuz of it too.
Prolly have no choice to just get from dealer

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yeah good point.. i noted that with them and thought that was a brilliant design, prolly less cross threads cuz of it too.
Prolly have no choice to just get from dealer
Honestly, if you can not buy them from a hardware/tool shop that sells nuts and bolts try the dealership as they won't be all that expensive. But then again BMW would still charge a premium.

Reactions: XtBimmer

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, if you can not buy them from a hardware/tool shop that sells nuts and bolts try the dealership as they won't be all that expensive. But then again BMW would still charge a premium.
I bought a similar longer one from an indy shop last week and it was 3.50... i prolly shouldn't work on the bike when I'm tired and I wont loose them lol

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I bought a similar longer one from an indy shop last week and it was 3.50... i prolly shouldn't work on the bike when I'm tired and I wont loose them lol
We all do things we think twice about after the fact lol. I have done the same, half the time I am more impartation than waiting to do anything with the bike.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Ebay, I brought a couple of varieties (lengths) with anti tamper, and have certain parts of the bike fitted with those, like screen etc to reduce theft opportunities

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not. These do not seem to be stainless steel and I cannot attest to their quality.
Yeah I caught the part about aluminum and reason I asked. It would suck snapping one off and in a difficult place to extract or drill out. I'm not a fan of alloy stuff after standing up on my footpegs to check traffic and the one peg broke. Hehehe

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
Losing the bolt isn't the problem. Finding it in a trouble spot is. Just sayin'

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Losing the bolt isn't the problem. Finding it in a trouble spot is. Just sayin'
No doubt, thank God for magnetic pickup tools. Its good its a crappy day out today, cuz my front fairing area, swallowed one somewhere and its driving me nuts.!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I go online to A&S BMW for my parts needs. Their parts prices are reasonable and they’re shipping is either very low or free and quick. Like you I keep a handful of the various Tupperware fasteners that I normally encounter on my bike. They have an online fiche that makes it easy to find an order.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have not. These do not seem to be stainless steel and I cannot attest to their quality.
I bought a cheap eBay fairing bolt kit (from China) for a different bike, but similar to these, and wow, were they C-H-E-A-P. Two bolts snapped using a 3/8 screwdriver adapter on a hex bit socket - I'd barely got them snugged up by hand and the bolt head just spun right off... Full Disclosure - I'm NOT Popeye (nor am I a big fan of spinach)

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I bought one of those "track packs" at my local dealership. They are a bunch of bolts in different packs for various brands of bikes. The one for KTM's have torx headed bolts in them in various versions. There ISNT a bunch ones that would replace fairing screws, but I was able to use four of them for my fender bolts (I had some fender bolts vibrate out long ago on me and had replaced them with allen head bolts, and that just wasnt right) Hopefully these will not rust

Reactions: mpehl and Geoff_3
1 - 20 of 28 Posts