BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Well unfortunately those body panel screws are unique to BMW. I guess BMW holds the patent for self centering 5mm torx screws because I haven't been able to find them anywhere but BMW at an absurd price.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well unfortunately those body panel screws are unique to BMW. I guess BMW holds the patent for self centering 5mm torx screws because I haven't been able to find them anywhere but BMW at an absurd price.
Heheh almost worth it, to buy a wrecked bike to pull the screws off of it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Found a quick cheap alternative fix.
Hit the hardware store and found m5 .80 10 mm pan zinc plated machine screws.
5 in a pack for 3.40 cdn.
Gonna swap out bolts underneath that attaches lower fairing to bottom part of bike. This way now I got some extras in other areas that are more visible. In the future bike mechanics won't like it, but I always try to do what I can instead of going to any stealer.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The best thing about being a member of this great forum, is the help you get when you ask. I love you guys thanks for all the info you share every day. It helps so many to learn more about our bikes and so much more. It helps me so much more as you can see by my Pic lol.I relax and have a little beer or two.
IMG_0009.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Found a quick cheap alternative fix.
Hit the hardware store and found m5 .80 10 mm pan zinc plated machine screws.
5 in a pack for 3.40 cdn.
Gonna swap out bolts underneath that attaches lower fairing to bottom part of bike. This way now I got some extras in other areas that are more visible. In the future bike mechanics won't like it, but I always try to do what I can instead of going to any stealer. View attachment 143177

I would think you would at least want to keep them with the same drive so you don't have to remember which tool to grab for each screw.

The site someone posted above has exactly what you need (minus the tapered tip):

They come in other lengths too.

In the US, they're $0.28 per screw plus a shipping charge of $4.99.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I would think you would at least want to keep them with the same drive so you don't have to remember which tool to grab for each screw.

The site someone posted above as exactly what you need (minus the tapered tip):

They come in other lengths too.

In the US, they're $0.28 per screw plus a shipping charge of $4.99.
The ones above are my quick fix for now, till I can source torx ones elsewhere.
The site you ref will cost me $40 cdn for shipping.
I'll keep looking and once border opens, I can easily get drop shipped to a parcel service place stateside.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the only place to get these bolts at the bmw dealer.
I'd like to have some extras on hand.
I seem to keep dropping and loosing some, doh...hehehe

21 - 28 of 28 Posts