BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share. I was looking at the AeroFlow headlight protector but the price was holding me up given that I was buying a number of what I consider essential bits for the new bike (2020 K1600GTL). I had one on my K1200LT and know the AeroFlow brand. Looking around on eBay I was hoping to find a used one but ran across a brand that I had never heard of, Where's Zed from Australia. The protector looked very similar to the AeroFlow part and the price was amazing at around $56.00 plus $16.00 shipping from Australia (be sure to note the listing shows AU Dollars that will be converted at a favorable rate to US Dollars). Took the chance and happy to report the part is very nice and I would say equal or very close to the AeroFlow part. Fits great. 3mm thick and no signs of distortion. Also, shipped quick, packed well with excellent package tracking. Comes with the same 3M dual lock sticky dots and available for a wide range of bikes. If you are looking for an alternative at a cheaper price take a look at Where's Zed? Headlight Protectors | eBay Stores .

·
Outta This World
1,920 Posts
Thats a good price, it is a bit different at least from the pictures I see. Does the Zed wrap around the bottom?

@Rsr Its a chopper baby. Whos Zed? Zeds dead baby, zeds dead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does not wrap under the bottom. Attached some pics so you can see the fit. By the way, Zed is not in fact dead, although he was once mostly dead, but Miracle Max was able to bring him back.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Contemplating this, or just use insurance if it gets damaged.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have same one for a year and a half now. I had someone make me some black vinyl stickers size of a nickel to stick over outside of shield over white snap locks. Hides the white snap locks, not so obvious, been washed and rained on lots and still working and looks good. Had extras made incase started to peel but good so far...like the shield, no worries about headlight damage.

·
Upside Down
1,488 Posts
Just wanted to share. I was looking at the AeroFlow headlight protector but the price was holding me up given that I was buying a number of what I consider essential bits for the new bike (2020 K1600GTL). I had one on my K1200LT and know the AeroFlow brand. Looking around on eBay I was hoping to find a used one but ran across a brand that I had never heard of, Where's Zed from Australia. The protector looked very similar to the AeroFlow part and the price was amazing at around $56.00 plus $16.00 shipping from Australia (be sure to note the listing shows AU Dollars that will be converted at a favorable rate to US Dollars). Took the chance and happy to report the part is very nice and I would say equal or very close to the AeroFlow part. Fits great. 3mm thick and no signs of distortion. Also, shipped quick, packed well with excellent package tracking. Comes with the same 3M dual lock sticky dots and available for a wide range of bikes. If you are looking for an alternative at a cheaper price take a look at Where's Zed? Headlight Protectors | eBay Stores .
Here is the info from their web site :
124 Oak Road
MATCHAM NSW 2250
AUSTRALIA
Tel: +(61) 2 4367 6436
Email: [email protected]

They are based about halfway between Newcastle and Sydney on our central coast of NSW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand the wait and let insurance pay thought, but for the price of this I was able to convince myself it was worth it. At 1000 miles on a brand new bike I already had a small nick in the headlight. Given the amount of junk on the roads here in the Northeast US and the size of this headlight, I'm sure it is just a matter of time and miles until something more substantial hits. With my insurance deductible, I think this is money well spent and it may prevent a catastrophic failure of the headlight that might take the bike out of use for an extended period of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts