BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering which battery tender you all use for the 2017/2018 and above models, it has the smaller AGM battery. I put my supposedly "intelligent" battery tender on my 2018 GT a few months ago and something made me need to start it yesterday and ....stone dead, nothing. Checked the battery voltage, 3.4 volts. Used a Ctek Zafir 100 charger for a few minutes and that brought the voltage up, but ordered a new battery from BMW as we have a two day ride coming up and do not want battery issues in the middle of nowhere. The wife unfortunately destroyed my Oxford Optimate charger a while ago by helping clean the garage and bumped a battery that was charging, the leads shorted out and she stands there looking dumbfounded and says "somethings burning" Grrrrr, Goodbye one charger. Anyone use the Ctek range of chargers?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I use the cheap everstarts from Walmart. Run a pigtail direct to the battery.
Have them on both bikes, lawnmower, Gator and my c7. Never had a problem.

·
Q
5,529 Posts
I use a $26 Schumacher brand tender straight to the battery. I plug it in whenever I am not riding. Sold my 14 GTL about 6 weeks ago with the original OEM battery in it, it cranked as good as new even though it was almost 8 years old. (8-13 build date)

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I use a $26 Schumacher brand tender straight to the battery. I plug it in whenever I am not riding. Sold my 14 GTL about 6 weeks ago with the original OEM battery in it, it cranked as good as new even though it was almost 8 years old. (8-13 build date)
I used the Deltran Battery Tenders for years, and just had two of three just stop working. I replaced those two with the Schumacher tenders and they're working great. They come with longer cords and more "connectors" than the Deltran, plus the Schumacher branded accessories (longer cables, etc) are less expensive than Deltran. The Schumachers use the same standard SAE connectors. I go straight to battery on anything I charge and have had no issues with the Schumacher chargers.

:cheers:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the CTEK battery minder pigtail (w/ three condition lights; red, amber, green) direct to the battery, and use the CTEK 0.8A charger designed for small batteries. Perfect, no issues.

·
Knight of The Realm
74 Posts
Spraynard has many Optimates including teh Optimate 7 Select for ultra-happy conversion of all lead sulfate in batteries requiring 2.46vpc equalization.

·
Boom
724 Posts
I've had three different Battery Tender versions on the various bikes I have had over recent years and have used them on cars, too: zero issues.

·
Preema
1,260 Posts
I use the Optimate and a little Ctek with the Ctek wired directly to the battery so I can plug it in anywhere...

·
Registered
6 Posts
A vote for the ctek here. I've been using it on all my outdoor batteries. I like that it has a mode specific to charging an agm battery.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I just switched from Deltran to the NOCO line and I'm digging them. I like that you can purchase one bank or multi-bank tenders in different amp outputs and that each line-out can be set to handle AGM, lithium, and/or lead. I also love the modular connector system; gator clips, round hole, common SAE type and more - simply snap one style off and snap a new one in its place. Pretty slick.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info, I have ordered the Optimate 4 and will plug it directly onto the battery, even though it is Canbus compatible. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Thanks for all the info, I have ordered the Optimate 4 and will plug it directly onto the battery, even though it is Canbus compatible. Cheers.
I've been using the Optimate 4, for probably 5 years, including a one-month storage. Always plugged it in to the accessory plug on right-side fairing top. Never had any problems with Canbus damage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts