Discussion Starter #1
So having a hard time deciding, do I go with the GT or the B
Any pros and cons for both?
Occasional passenger, lots of long days
Cheers

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You should test ride all 3 to help you decide... GT/GTL/B...same engine and great for solo or 2-up all day riding, but different rider ergonomics for each one.

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
Safe to assume you haven't ridden either? Forum has a search feature, go to the top of the page, "tools", then select "advanced search". Numerous discussions about the B, girls bike, and GT, #1 Sport Tourer... :) What are your riding priorities? Curvy roads, bar hopping, passenger comfort, cruising, long-distance, etc. Decision is yours, none of us can recommend which will fit you best.

Duane

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Listen here @Duane, you b1tch.... @John_Mills definitely ride all three. Some are afraid of the B/GA, ostensibly because they are afraid of their sexy-self.

To me (and I have ridden all three) the GTL is the one you want if you ride two-up predominantly. The GT is your choice if you like to carve twisties and you tend to pack very light. The B is different; it is the heart of a K-bike - and so keeps up with anyone (b1tch) but it gets a lot of attention when stopped.

The GTL never gets attention, unless it is to tell a story of how one crossed the desert in the '70s on a Honda, "but the wife won't let me have one now".

·
Registered
339 Posts
I rode the GTL, B and Grand America before I bought the GA. I sat on a GT (hard to find at that time). Here is my takeaway:
1. The wife hated the GTL. The step up in the seat put her way above my head. The center of gravity was pretty high for me too.
2. I liked the B, but the lack of a passenger back rest/rack was a non-starter. There are more options now
3. The GT was an option, but it was a few thousand more than the GA, plus I'd have to add a top box & rack
4. I picked the GA for several reasons: less expensive than a GT, It came with a factory top box that would hold two helmets and the seat height for me and my passenger was a bit lower so it is easier to flat foot at a stop. It handles and goes well enough for me and the wife is comfy on the back. She also feels secure with the top box at her back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was in the same decision making situation about 8 months ago. I’d been looking at the k1600s for a few years and I’ve test ridden all the models. I thought the B or GA would be the obvious choice having ridden cruiser type bikes for the past 20 years. It will certainly be what best suits you. I thought the upright seating position of the GT and GTL would be a problem on longer rides due to three knee surgeries. I chose the GT based on my riding style and after about 8k miles so far, it’s been the perfect choice for me. I love this bike. I did add a Russell Day Long seat and Ilium pegs for comfort and the option to stretch my legs out when needed, and a top case for those times I have a passenger. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you can tell a difference, buy the one you like better. If you can't tell the difference, buy the cheaper one.

Got that advice from a very wise person a long time ago. Served me very well over the years.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I liked best the GT body position for the riding style. I added the color matched BMW top case. It was expensive, but the extra storage is great and the wife likes having the backrest. Other options are available, but that's what suited me best. You can get an idea of how they fit your body by sitting on them, but nothing substitutes for a decently long test ride.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Safe to assume you haven't ridden either? Forum has a search feature, go to the top of the page, "tools", then select "advanced search". Numerous discussions about the B, girls bike, and GT, #1 Sport Tourer... :) What are your riding priorities? Curvy roads, bar hopping, passenger comfort, cruising, long-distance, etc. Decision is yours, none of us can recommend which will fit you best.

Duane
Gunnert pretty much summed it up....

There is no substitute for riding all three. You have to determine what feels best to you, and equally factor in the primary kind of riding you do. Almost all of my longer distance riding is 2-up, and coming from an LT that I loved, the GTL felt great and was an easy decision.

IF I rode mostly solo, the GT would have been a tempting option. Living in the foothills of the Santa Monica mountains, I spend a lot of time in the twisties. Although with my 5'9" stature, I would have had to modify the bike with pullback risers to make long distance riding tolerable. For me, the "B" made too many compromises of function for style. But that's subjective and one of the decision points each of us has to make.

Whatever you choose, report back. You're going to love the ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I rode both the GT & B and selected the B for its lower seat height, tubular handle bars, and the style of the rear end having larger brake/turn signal lights. Most miles on my '19 matte gray will be touring in the mountains searching for all twisty roads.

The GT does have an option for a lower driver's seat and more options for carrying luggage. And you can remove the panniers when out for a fun day of riding. All K1600 models have same drive train, suspension, and options with the B being 4 lbs heavier than the GT with full fuel. My guess is that extra 4 lbs is due to the huge standard B/GA mufflers.

If you're interested in the GA I would suggest test riding the GTL for comparison. You can't go wrong with any of them!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Duane
Oh great......
8,000 happy miles and enjoying the move away from HD and now I find out I got the "girls bike".
Now I'm going to have to buy a pink riding jacket.
Dang the luck :whine:

·
Registered
85 Posts
John
As stated by multiple members all three models are set up for different tastes of riding. I have a Grand America which fit me the best low slung cruiser type with top case. Very nice bike but like all three models you will fit for your riding style, bar risers, seat, ect. If I did it again I personally would go with the GT model yes you probably will buy a color matched top case for storage or you can look on cycle trader and find a low model garage queen with all the extras for a great savings. Your choice but as everyone has said go to your local dealership and ride them all you will figure it out what you like or dislike they are all great bikes enjoy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So having a hard time deciding, do I go with the GT or the B
Any pros and cons for both?
Occasional passenger, lots of long days
Cheers

Want to stretch your legs out? Get the B. Heck, get an Indian, they also give you the forward controls to go with the foot boards. Want to ride jockey style, able to stand up to stretch the kinks out? Get a GT. Want to ride with baggage behind you, get the GTL.

·
Registered
362 Posts
As Ron said, give yourself time and with no panic try them all. Go for a long ride Hwy and city, tight streets and turns. Do not be shy to disappear for a nice ride. Go to another dealer or the same and try again few days later after you process your thoughts. Best policy for any new buy. I think, anyways. Happy test ride......!!!!!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
For me it has always been the GTL. Bought into the pre-order K16 back in January 2011. I am a short rider and really appreciate the low seat height. I only had to put in a set of bar backs and back rest. To me the bike is perfect. Waiting on recall to be finished so I can get my 19 delivered.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went with the GTL. I can drop the trunk and bags and have a whole different ride. I stepped up to the Option 719 and yes... It does turn heads when I stop at the gas station or burger joint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts