BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
All my trips on the HD's were programed off my computer to a Garmin GPS, Zumo 550 & 595. The Nav 6 is a BMW version of the 595, both have poor visual screens. The new XL from Garmin is great, but does not fit the BMW console. The Nav 6 is discontinued and BMW will be going to the FTF system in the future.

Still have not heard from RKA supporters for bag liners or tank bags?

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
73 Posts
All my trips on the HD's were programed off my computer to a Garmin GPS, Zumo 550 & 595. The Nav 6 is a BMW version of the 595, both have poor visual screens. The new XL from Garmin is great, but does not fit the BMW console. The Nav 6 is discontinued and BMW will be going to the FTF system in the future.

I have seen this about the nav 6 being discontinued. According to BMW and Garmin this is not true. I just bought a new one and they are still on BMW’s site and Garmins.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I have a new 2021 1600K GTL, and I'm looking for accessories. Has anyone purchased Ilium Works accessories? I'm looking at the following items:
1. Adj Highway Pegs
2. Driver Floorboards
3. Rear Guard Bars
4. Side stand Enlargement Plate

I am looking at RKA's tank bag and saddlebag liners.
I have the forward foot pegs and the rear
I have a new 2021 1600K GTL, and I'm looking for accessories. Has anyone purchased Ilium Works accessories? I'm looking at the following items:
1. Adj Highway Pegs
2. Driver Floorboards
3. Rear Guard Bars
4. Side stand Enlargement Plate

I am looking at RKA's tank bag and saddlebag liners.
I have the ilium works highway pegs and the rear protective bars. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
In short, buy them. Well worth the money. Great people too. I have liners for all three cases, a tank bag, rack bag, and seat bag. Nice, heavy duty stuff.

Reactions: Geoff_3 and Duke4

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
RKA tank bags (like most of their products) are outstanding. My RKA tank bag is easy on/off, and doesn't interfere with handlebars under any circumstances. I had RKA tank bags on my RT, LT and now my GTL. The company will always be my first choice for accessories.

As far as Ilium Works protection bars (front and back), I have them and hope never to have to test them. They're insurance. A simple tip over can cause up to $4,000-$5,000 in damage (no exaggeration), so having protection bars should be a no-brainer. The Ilium construction/design look like they should do well in a tip over, but again, I hope they're never tested.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Outstanding info, my RKA liners and bags came in today. Next is the Nav 6 and then the Ilium Works items. It's still winter and I'm down 3K.

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
The highway pegs and rear crash bars fit very nicely on my 2021 GTL. Good quality and last a long time.
I had mine painted so they all matched and flowed with the bikes colour.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
ArmyMutt-you said rack bag, did you put a rack on your tour box? I thought I read it may crack the tour box?

RKA bags arrived, three liners and the tank bag.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,575 Posts
Many have installed a top case rack to hold a top case bag.

Duane

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
What top box rack do you have?

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
I've had the Ilium engine guard, highway pegs and passenger floorboards on my 2 K1600GTLs. All items work fine. I bought them in 2012 when these bikes were few and far between. I had to modify the passenger floorboards to suit our needs but now they make adjustable mounts.

I've tested the engine guards in a couple tip overs and they do their job.

Like Darbinco I rarely use the highway pegs. The ergo design of the GTL fits me very well. My wife really likes having floorboards for getting on and off and being able to move her feet around while riding.

My current 2016 GTL (bought used) came with driver floorboards and I couldn't get use to them so I sold them.

I installed the Isotta clear thick plastic trunk rack on my first GTL and liked it so much I transferred it to my second one. After removal no scars left behind. I only carry light weight things up there like a spare jacket or such. I use the narrow ROK straps to secure things.

Attachments

·
Mr.Fix It
7,575 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I have RKA bag liners...almost half the price of BMWs IIRC. Purchased these when I purchased the bike. I returned to get a tank bag last summer. I think I have the Shiloh. Works well. I like having a physical paper map for when the roads I'm on disappear from view when I zoom out on the GPS. Handy in reroutes or knowing what's ahead etc. Mine came with the map pocket that velcros to the bag so I can take it inside for coffee and a bite and consider where I want to end up in the next few hours or review alternate routes with fellow riders. Bag expands tall and doesn't interfere with lock to lock on bars.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I installed the Isotta clear thick plastic trunk rack on my first GTL and liked it so much I transferred it to my second one. After removal no scars left behind. I only carry light weight things up there like a spare jacket or such. I use the narrow ROK straps to secure things.
Where did you buy your rack? europeantoysstore.com

I just read a thread about this rack, everything sounds positive. No drilling holes is the best feedback.

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts

I just read a thread about this rack, everything sounds positive. No drilling holes is the best feedback.
It might have been that source I know it was a European seller. It arrived in less than 2 weeks but then that was several years ago way before Covid.

Somewhere I've see the same rack from Isotta made from metal. It still attaches the same with no new holes drilled.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts

I have the Top Box rack and pannier racks all in aluminum. They work great. I got them from your source.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm also a Harley guy. Sold my '17 RGU but have a '13 Ultra Classic CVO. You will find some great info on this forum for BMW accessories. RKA bags have been great....good fit and 1/2 price of BMW bags. I also have the RKA seat bag which I use on long tours without the spouse. I have the Isotta rack and it works well, looks good. I've only used it for light items (i.e. extra jacket, vests, etc). I've loaded the rack on my Harley's with some heavy bags and never worried about it. On my GTL, I have concern about putting too much weight on that top box and also makes the bike rather top heavy with a big bag (although I know people have stored a lot of items on top). Re: Ilium...very impressed with their products. I have the engine guards, highway pegs and shift extender. I've used highway pegs on all my touring bikes and really appreciate the opportunity to stretch out on long rides. I prefer the floorboards on my Harley's, and although I'm "ok" with the GTL pegs, I just purchased a set of rider floorboards from Ilium (haven't installed them yet). Because of some of the concerns I've read, I am also purchasing the Ilium adjustable brake lever. To complete the look, I'm also going to install the passenger floorboards (as the wife prefers these over the pegs). Ilium parts are not cheap, but there quality is also excellent. My rational?.......saving a ton of money as I'm not adding excessive chrome, after market exhaust or engine mapping:)

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ilium Works sounds like a reliable company, that produces quality products. Costly, but reliable. Isotta has a reliable luggage rack, and it does not require drilling. Europeantoystore.com looks like the most reliable source, it's in clear and smoked aluminum. They also have the racks for the saddle bags.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts