BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at replacing my '67 Ford 4500 backhoe. I've found a couple of promising replacements. One is a '99 Case 580 SL and the other is am '87 Case 580 K. I'm open to suggestions. I've been reading about the Case being jumpy and potential for cracks in the cast iron boom. On the other hand, the guy at the repair shop said they are great and easy to work on, so I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
I have a Kioti and think it’s the best value available. If I were looking for a replacement a Kioti would be at the top of the list.
Duane

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
With all due respect Duane I don't doubt the Kioti is great value for the size of machine they are. That said, I think the max bucket dig force for any hoe they have is around 3000lbs. A 580 is around 13000lbs. The full size backhoes are in a totally different league when pulling out stumps, rocks etc. I used to have a kubota L series with a BH90 backhoe on it. It was great for the work I had for it but no comparison to my buddies full size Cat backhoe I used to borrow on occasion. Main bucket lift, backhoe strength and overall push power are pretty incredible on the full size hoes. I have a 16 tonnes Hitachi excavator for my business now. That is yet another level of fun. ?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I need something stronger than the 4500. The 4500 has a bucket force of 8300lbs. It's not enough.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
It was great for the work I had for it but no comparison to my buddies full size Cat backhoe I used to borrow on occasion. Main bucket lift, backhoe strength and overall push power are pretty incredible on the full size hoes. I have a 16 tonnes Hitachi excavator for my business now. That is yet another level of fun. ?
My lovely wife, who works in risk management for Cat Financial, respectfully recommends a used Cat as an option.? When she reached a certain level in the company, they wanted even all the office types to go to Peoria, and they have a giant setup there for people to play with all the big stuff (except for the HUGE mining equipment). That's the most fun she's ever had in her life, short of bombing a set of mountain twisties.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at Cat. The guy at the repair shop said that the parts are expensive. I already have that in my life. Not off the list, but something to think about.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
We have both a Kubota tractor with a bucket and back hoe attachment and a Cat skid steer. The Cat doesn't have a back hoe but we do have bucket, post hole and trenching attachments.

The Kubota is on the small size. The skid steer with a back hoe attachment would be a good ticket. It has the size, weight and power to handle a good size back hoe. Something to consider.

btw, none of this equipment is on the cheap side if you have to pay for repairs.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Skid steers seem to be really expensive compared to a backhoe. Looked at a B95 this morning. Realized that I need to up my budget. Have to discuss it with the boss tonight. Saw a really nice B95 about an hour away, but it was already sold.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am a retired service mgr and the company I worked for Case was our main product line. The 580SL was a great backhoe in its day. The Case/ Cummins motor was pretty bulletproof. Hydraulic system good. Get an SL not the L as they have more power. I would say in the 25 + years I saw only a handful of broken cast booms. Most caused by doing things you shouldn’t be doing....side loads, way overloading etc. If the boom cracks you cannot repair it since it cast steel. The 99 is pre electronic and emissions. A little TLC and they last a long time. Same for skid steers. Stay away from anything that has electronics and emissions engines cause if some gos wrong you will have call a dealer and service calls are mighty expensive .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts